Windows 10: Trying to run large win 10 updates at a specific time?

Discus and support Trying to run large win 10 updates at a specific time? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Does anyone have a suggestion on how to advance win10 updates? Background is that the upgrade from 7 to 10 failed at 40% and reverted to 7. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by robmar0se, Apr 16, 2016.

1. robmar0se Win User

Trying to run large win 10 updates at a specific time?

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to advance win10 updates?

Background is that the upgrade from 7 to 10 failed at 40% and reverted to 7. I removed AVG and also adobe flash as we had had an issue with it prior to the upgrade. To save time, and download limits, we ran the upgrade to 10 from a disk with version 240 successfully. I am trying to advance the upgrade to the latest version of 10 during my free download quota window over the w/e or between midnight and 8am.

Microsoft has failed to appreciate these large updates (even with the metered option) are large and inconvenient. As a matter of priority Microsoft needs to give control back to the user; at present its not doing anyone any favours.

:)

robmar0se, Apr 16, 2016
  2. PLWessels Win User

Download Windows 10 Home Updates at a specific time

Data is expensive here and Windows 10 Home version 1511 is apparently ca 3GB. I want to download during night time when data is cheaper. I see that SCHTASK can be use to execute a program at a specific time. May be it can also be used to download updates.
    One then at least need to known the exe path for Settings & Security > Windows Update > Download.

If possible a complete Command Prompt statement will be appreciated like the below:

C:\Windows>schtasks /create /TN Start_MS_Explorer_9 /SC ONCE /ST 09:00 /TR "explorer.exe c:\Windows"

Using a metered connection is inconveniently.

PLWessels, Apr 16, 2016
  3. Download Windows 10 Home Updates at a specific time

Well the feature you are talking about has been released to Fast ring Insiders(Beta testers) and would be available to General Public(Current branch ) by July.

From Windows experience blog-Gabe Aul

Updated Windows Update Settings: You can now set the time in which you are most active on your device by adjusting active hours under Settings
    > Update & security > Windows Update. Windows Update will avoid automatically installing updates during your active hours on your device.

Sumit Dhiman2, Apr 16, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, first the current major build (since last Nov) is 10586.

Second, you may prefer to download the appropriate iso once and use that for all your PCs you are upgrading (or twice if you need both 32 bit and 64 bit O/S's)

As this can be a manual download, you can do it when convenient.

This is also useful if written as a bootable medium
    a. to boot an unbootable PC for certain repair operations
    b. for an in-place upgrade repair install for PCs requiring it but can boot to normal mode.

One download then rules all for upgrade and certain repair procedures.

Further: some people experience- as you have- that an upgrade may fail and need to be redone. If you have the iso or bootable medium to hand, you save the download time and ?cost.

I would recommend upgrading using the iso without opting for updates.
    Why? If there is a big problem with Win 10, e.g. compatibility, drivers... you then haven't wasting the download time.

dalchina, Apr 16, 2016
Thema:

1. Trying to run large win 10 updates at a specific time? - Similar Threads - Trying run large

2. Windows 10 pro update/restart at specific time…

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 pro update/restart at specific time…: Hi,I’m using my windows 10 mini pc as a CCTV recorder - it will be on 24/7.The option in windows 10 to set an “active time” period of 18hrs - with 6hrs of possible update time is no good for me.I need to set a specific time windows should restart if there are updates - 5:30am...
  3. Do not perform update on specific time

Do not perform update on specific time: I have stated the hours I most likely will not be on my computer at night and wish you would not do updates except for the hours I stated. I sometimes sit for thirty minutes trying to get on my computer while I watch the circle go round and round and under it "Just a moment"....
  4. Pc sleeps every time i run specific tasks

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Pc sleeps every time i run specific tasks: Hi guys, Help please? I have noticed that my pcdell window 10 sleeps every time I perform specific tasks, for example; I was running a video compressor software, after I import the video and press the compress icon, it starts to compress the file for like five seconds and pc...
  5. Can’t Large Files Using Win 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Can’t Large Files Using Win 10: Uninstalled updates and other new programs installed. So here is what I have figured out now. I can copy to and from KdLinks with Windows 7 computer. I can copy from KdLinks to windows 10 computer But I can not copy to a KdLinks using a Windows 10 computer IF.... The file...
  6. ADK matched to the specific update version of Win 10?

in Windows 10 Support
    ADK matched to the specific update version of Win 10?: I need to create a recovery CD (actually USB ...) for my backup utility. The recovery volume has to include the Windows ADK. The system that needs a recovery process is still on 1709. Do I need to use the ADK for 1709, or can I use the 1903 ADK? 133760
  7. Set specific time to download automatic updates

Set specific time to download automatic updates: I have limited bandwidth via my satellite ISP, (EXELL); and it is the only ISP available here. I need to set the update download time for the Free Zone: 3:00 am to 6:00 am. I am unable to find an option to make this selection in the Update settings. With two Windows 10...
  8. Win 10 DVD Drive only runs 1 time

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Win 10 DVD Drive only runs 1 time: Hi, I have an unusual problem in that Win10 only sees a DVD/CD one time. Example: Trying to install Flight Sim X which has 2 discs. The first one installs correctly but when I install the 2nd disc it doesn't show up in file explorer or This PC. When I open the device manager...
  9. Time when win 10 downloads updates

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Time when win 10 downloads updates: I cant find where to set the time when Win 10 download's updates, Im on a metered connection through Hughesnet. I need all updates to download after 2 am. Thanks for any help*Sad 50592
  10. Every time I run Win. Update troubleshooter, it shows pending updates

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Every time I run Win. Update troubleshooter, it shows pending updates: Each time I run the troubleshooter, it says I have pending updates that needs to be downloaded and installed. After I click "apply fix," it shows 2 problems found: "service registration is missing or corrupt" and "check for pending updates," both which say "fixed" with green...