Windows 10: Trying to so a 'clean install'. Now "missing operating system"

Discus and support Trying to so a 'clean install'. Now "missing operating system" in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I thought I would do a 'clean install' of Win 10 on my laptop. Used Killdisk to get rid of 2 of 3 partitions on my hard drive (not the OS partition). I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Sasha100, Dec 20, 2015.

1. Sasha100 Win User

Trying to so a 'clean install'. Now "missing operating system"

I thought I would do a 'clean install' of Win 10 on my laptop. Used Killdisk to get rid of 2 of 3 partitions on my hard drive (not the OS partition). I must have done something wrong because now my system will not reboot. All I get is a message saying: "missing operating system". I tried to reboot by: 1) using a 'boot disk' prepared on my desktop; nothing. 2) using my Win7 disk; nothing.

More detail: I put the disks in the DVD drive while the machine in on (showing the message 'missing the operating system', then turn the laptop off. Then I turn it on while pressing F12 to get the setup menu. Then I go to the DVD drive, nothing.

Can anyone tell me what to do to get the laptop to work. If I go out and buy a Win 10 disk will that reboot and install?

:)

Sasha100, Dec 20, 2015

2. Updating Windows 10, after first reboot, I receive "Missing Operating System"

I have the same problem (the "missing operating system bug") trying normal upgrade or with w10 usb (not clean install) I suppose the problem is abou SSD.

MarceloHerrero, Dec 20, 2015
  3. atikuruu Win User
    5800 XM " General: System Error " on saving music file

WHAT CAN I DO NOW

atikuruu, Dec 20, 2015
  4. BunnyJ New Member

Get into the BIOS settings and make sure that it's set to boot from the DVD first. That should get it. Right now it's pointing to the HDD/SSD and there's a partition that it needs that's missing.

HTH

BunnyJ, Dec 20, 2015
  5. CmmTch Win User
    You might try pressing F8 or F12 repeatedly while the computer is booting to get to the one time boot selection. Rather than go into BIOS and change boot order, you should be able to select the boot device for that boot.

Then it will go back to whatever is set in BIOS after it boots that time.

CmmTch, Dec 20, 2015
  6. CmmTch Win User
    Found this L: ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-produ...uide_en-us.pdf

Pressing F12 when the Dell logo appears while booting will enable selective boot. See page 76 of the pdf document.

I believe they'll be a message "Press any key to boot from xx" where xx is either cd or USB, whatever boot device you've chosen. This happens immediately after you've chosen the boot device.

CmmTch, Dec 20, 2015
  7. HMonk Win User
    In my experience, the bootmgr is usually located on some mini partition in laptops (as in my case) and it sounds like you may have deleted this partition. If you did not delete it also, you can usually employ your laptop's recovery partition files to recover (following your laptop mfr's recovery process). You might also be able to do a repair via repair/fixboot option from your install disc, first tweaking your BIOS to allow choice of boot devices/drives.

Monk

HMonk, Dec 20, 2015
  8. CmmTch Win User

Good thinking HMonk, I'll bet the bootmgr was on the recovery drive.

He needs to press F12 at the Dell logo and a select boot device, that should allow the system to boot from that media even without a bootmgr.

CmmTch, Dec 20, 2015
  9. Ztruker Win User
    You folks need to read the original post again.

Sasha100, try booting the DVD in another computer, make sure it really is bootable.
    Where did you get the DVD from? If you downloaded a Win 10 ISO how did you create the DVD?

Ztruker, Dec 20, 2015
  10. CmmTch Win User
    Ztruker I did read the original post, (maybe not as thoroughly as I should have) but the "press any key to boot from xx" goes by pretty quick, if you miss it then it goes to the HDD. If I remember right, you get like 3 or 4 dots, couple seconds after the message before it's too late.

Anyway, I guess the boot media should be verified as being able to boot, although that's not the first thing that comes to mind. I'd figure the Win7 disk is bootable.

CmmTch, Dec 20, 2015
  11. Edwin New Member
    I suspect, also, the OP may have nuked the 'System Reserved'!

Trying to so a 'clean install'. Now "missing operating system" [​IMG]

DO NOT wipe disks until the boot files, or at least the boot device, is loaded!

Edwin, Dec 20, 2015
  12. Sasha100 Win User
    Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I can get to BIOS by pressing F12 (or F2) at startup. I then go to the BOOT menu, select CD/DVD drive and exit with"saving changes". Reboot and - nothing. I will try using the 'BOOT Disk' I burned in my desktop and get back to you in a few minutes. Thanks again.

Sasha100, Dec 20, 2015
  13. Edwin New Member

You don't want to change boot device setup in the BIOS, you need the 'boot once' menu at Startup.
    Press Esc when you see the Dell splash screen.

Edwin, Dec 20, 2015
  14. Sasha100 Win User
    I tried the 'BOOT' disk in my Desktop and it work fine. The problem in my Laptop continues. Reading the posts by "Ztruker" and "Edwin" I believe the 'recovery data' was deleted as I zapped all the partitions except the 'OS' partition. By the way, I tried rebooting my Laptop with my Win 7 disk - not luck with either. The Laptop Bios will not accept the change from "hard Drive' to 'CD/DVD Drive', (and I do exit with 'save changes'. Ztruker: To answer the question about where did I get the 'BOOT' disk, I created it from the Killdisk download. I have the Win 10 ISO from the download from Microsoft to get the Win 10 on my machine. I guess I should have just done the Win 10 update and not tried to get fancy with a 'clean install'. Anybody got any suggestions how to get the use of my Laptop back?

Sasha100, Dec 20, 2015
  15. Sasha100 Win User
    Thanks again for all the suggestions. This is what I have done so far -
    1) I made a DVD "Boot" disk on my HP Desktop from the downloads from Killdisk. I tried it on on Desktop by changing the BIOS startup and it worked. My Dell Laptop seems that it will not hold a BIOS change. I start the Laptop and press F12 (or F2) and change the Bios startup from hard drive to CD/DVD drive , exit and save with changes. But it doesn't want to recognize the change and the message 'missing operating system' appears yet again.

2) I tried using my original Win 7 installation, but it won't work either. I believe the same issue applies - the BIOS change is not getting recognized.

3)The only Keys that will give me anything are F2 and F12, will take me to setup.

4) I think the 'Recover Data' got zapped when I used Killdisk to wipe all partitions except the "OS" partition. But something must have deleted the BootMgr files or ??

5) Any ideas folks? Thanks for your time already. What is my worst case scenario here?

Sasha100, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Trying to so a 'clean install'. Now "missing operating system" - Similar Threads - Trying 'clean install'

2. Missing operating system

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Missing operating system: When I turn on my HP G60 notebook I am faced with a message saying "Missing Operating System", I know why it is happening, I accidentally deleted system reserved partition, I dont have installation media, I use windows 10...
  3. Missing operating system

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Missing operating system: When I turn on my HP G60 notebook I am faced with a message saying "Missing Operating System", I know why it is happening, I accidentally deleted system reserved partition, I dont have installation media, I use windows 10...
  4. Missing operating system.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Missing operating system.: My laptop shows missing operating system after I wiped some volume if not all of them in my disk from Microsoft diagnostic tool. I don't know what to do I inserted a DVD and it still shows missing operating system. It's a hp G70....
  5. Missing operating system

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Missing operating system: My PC froze so I restarted it then it says to diagnose and repair then repair failed so went to advanced options tried system restore failed tried reset pc failed then lastly restore from sydtem image failed then came the missing operating system.Please can anyone help I'm...
  6. Missing operating system

Missing operating system: Hello can someone please help me i have just tried to dual boot kali linux and windows 10 and when i try to boot it says missing operating system can somemone please help idk if my files are gone PLEASE HELP [IMG]...
  7. missing an operating system

missing an operating system: so ever since I bought my Lenovo Ideapad 320, i have been experiencing the same struggle. i would be using my laptop normally then it just turns into a black screen and when I restart it, it tells me that system needs repair so I try all the advanced options and nothing...
  8. "Missing Operating System"

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    "Missing Operating System": After the last Windows update I received an error message "Missing Operating System". The issue occurred when the system started to reboot after update. I did everything that I could, including the system repair, recovery from the system image. I used safe mode but cannot...
  9. Operating system missing

Operating system missing: i downloaded an update to a program i use at work, turns out it was a virus or malware and changed several registry files and removed admin access. My laptop then started downloading programs and installing them, opening several webpages, and trying to run a virus scan that...
  10. Missing operating system

Missing operating system: Hi, after the automatic update of my laptop toshiba, there was an error when i boot my computer. Then, in the left top corner there was this message error : Missing operating system. So, i check on other tread and some people said to load the command on an usb device with...