Windows 10: Trying to transfer data files from salvaged HDD Cant find AppData

Discus and support Trying to transfer data files from salvaged HDD Cant find AppData in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; What's on F: If that's the old HDD, then that's where I would expect your User files to live (including AppData) You might have to tuen on hidden... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by provlima, Jun 30, 2016.

1. provlima Win User

Trying to transfer data files from salvaged HDD Cant find AppData

WOW...it was right there all the time!!!

I have included captures of the OS(F) drive contents
    the user Jim contents
    and the AppData file

What are the importan folders that have to be placed in the laptop drive and exactly which folder do they get inseted/pasted in??
    I tried copying and pasting the Ser/Jim file into a temporary file in preparation for the file tranfers next week and got the message
    confirm window replace below I assume I should click yes.......
    Cant begin to express how much I appreciate your help with this project

Trying to transfer data files from salvaged HDD  Cant find AppData [​IMG]

provlima, Jul 1, 2016

2. No ... don't copy the old Jim wholesale to the new Jim, there are security files that might corrupt the new Jim. Unlikely because they are security features and would not copy anyway, but it's much safer just to copy the data files you need.

Please let me know what settings you think you need (what applications need settings copied)

Slartybart, Jul 1, 2016
  3. Slartybart, Jul 1, 2016
  4. provlima Win User

I want the bookmarks from my Firefox browser, but I think that Firefox has a syncing feature

does yahoo and gmail store your email settings and contacts on their servers?

I would like to transfer all my iTunes settings and music files
    are there any other basic settings I may be overlooking that would be wise to transfer?

provlima, Jul 1, 2016
  5. FF Bookmarks might be easy
    Restore bookmarks from backup or move them to another computer | Firefox Help

Yahoo & Gmail only store your eMail files and maybe contacts
    Do you use a desktop eMail client or just the web clients?

iTunes I know nothing about - music files, no brainier

Documents, Music, Pictures, Videos are the most common
    Downloads maybe

Any other folders where you saved personal data. Any list is going to be a guess - you know what you use on your machine.
    If someone was guessing about my stuff, they'd miss 90% of it because my setup is not standard.

Did you try the Easeus utility - this conversation might be moot if it worked well for you.

Slartybart, Jul 1, 2016
  6. provlima Win User
    I will try the Easus utility............My friend I thank you very much for help me solve my problem and ease the transition to my new W10 laptop. I was avoiding upgrading to W10 but my bad laptop forced me into it.
    You are a great asset to this forum. Enjoy your holiday weekend!
    Thanks again Jim

provlima, Jul 1, 2016
  7. Let me know how the Easeus utility works.
    We can always do things by hand if needed, but I hope the tool does the heavy lifting for you.

Thanks, you enjoy your weekend too.

Slartybart, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Trying to transfer data files from salvaged HDD Cant find AppData - Similar Threads - Trying transfer data

2. Transfer installed programs and data from HDD to SSd

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Transfer installed programs and data from HDD to SSd: I have HDD and SSD on my computer both have individual windows 10 OS. I can not run Windows from HDD only from SSD. Now i want to transfer all programs and data from HDD to SSD. thanks...
  3. Transfer installed programs and data from HDD to SSd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transfer installed programs and data from HDD to SSd: I have HDD and SSD on my computer both have individual windows 10 OS. I can not run Windows from HDD only from SSD. Now i want to transfer all programs and data from HDD to SSD. thanks...
  4. Transfer installed programs and data from HDD to SSd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Transfering files from Seagate HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transfering files from Seagate HDD: Hi!My seagate HDD has been acting strange lately and i know it is a problem with seagate and windows 10/11. I want to transfer all of my files from my seagate hdd to another usb harddrive. I simply just drag and drop the files as i assume is right?I get these error messages...
  6. Transfering files from Seagate HDD

Transfering files from Seagate HDD: Hi!My seagate HDD has been acting strange lately and i know it is a problem with seagate and windows 10/11. I want to transfer all of my files from my seagate hdd to another usb harddrive. I simply just drag and drop the files as i assume is right?I get these error messages...
  7. Files and Windows data transfer from the HDD to new SSD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files and Windows data transfer from the HDD to new SSD: Hi!Im about to buy 1TB SSD and want to transfer everything to it from my HDD. My question is, is it possible? I dont want to lose data,or licence key of Windows.Best regards,Nándor...
  8. Files and Windows data transfer from the HDD to new SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files and Windows data transfer from the HDD to new SSD: Hi!Im about to buy 1TB SSD and want to transfer everything to it from my HDD. My question is, is it possible? I dont want to lose data,or licence key of Windows.Best regards,Nándor...
  9. Files and Windows data transfer from the HDD to new SSD

10. Trying to use salvaged windows 10 HDD in new computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Trying to use salvaged windows 10 HDD in new computer: I salvaged my HDD with windows 10 that came pre-installed from my laptop filled with bloatware to use on my desktop in an SSD. I decided to reset Windows 10 to remove bloatware before migration. When trying to reset to do a clean install, I get an error "There was a...