Windows 10: Trying to understand and resolve very slow account logins

Discus and support Trying to understand and resolve very slow account logins in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I am trying to figure out and resolve why several accounts on my Dell XPS Windows10 Home system take upwards of 5 minutes to login. This is a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by gregster, Apr 1, 2017.

1. gregster Win User

Trying to understand and resolve very slow account logins

I am trying to figure out and resolve why several accounts on my Dell XPS Windows10 Home system take upwards of 5 minutes to login. This is a stand-alone system; there is no Domain. The Administrator account and two of the regular accounts require 5 minutes to pass - during which there is nothing displayed but a blank black screen - before the desktop comes up. One of the standard accounts is a local account and the other is tied to a Microsoft account. However for the fourth account (a local standard user account), the login process is without any such delay; a login passes driectly to showing the desktop without any problem whatsoever.

The Windows 10 is regularly patched and has Norton Security for its A/V. It is not in a Domain.

Once logged into each acount in turn, I have brought up the 'Task Manager' -> 'Startup' listing. I see each login has the exact same listing of login apps as the others. For each login account, the listing of startup apps has the same "Disabled" or "Enabled" (for examle: 'Skype' is listed for each account and in all cases it is "Disabled") . The key difference is that "Not measured" is given as the 'Startup impact' for all of the accounts except for the one that logs in without the 5 minute delay. The one account (which is a standard account, not an admin account), shows "High" , "Medium" and "Low" for each of its startup tasks.

I have run, as the admin, "dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth" and have used "sfc /scannow" and have done "chkdsk c:" . All report no problem.

This morning I created a fifth account, another local standard account. My intent was to simply abandon one of the troubled local accounts by simply moving all its files over to this new account. However this new account immediately has the same issue; every login requires the 5 minute blank black display before the desktop is displayed.

What should I try next?

:)

gregster, Apr 1, 2017
  2. Pavan_N Win User

recover and reset the windows 10 laptop password. without lossisng my data.

Hi Orchidhsu,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

1. What is the error message you get whole trying to login to the local account?

2. Are you able to login to the Microsoft account without any issues?

As passwords are case-sensitive ensure to disable the caps lock.

You may also login to another admin account (if any) and then try to reset the local account password to check if that helps.

Thanks

Pavan_N, Apr 1, 2017
  3. Computer in lockdown

same, detected computer running slow at times, was trying to run old MS games on Windows 10, redid password for MS account in prep for downloading Ages Of Empires II HD but changed mind.

Theron restart my login went from numerical ( p? ) and now my PiN doesn't' why can't this password be local. As I assumed it was.

Very frustrated, will go to Mac if this doesn't't get resolved. I was enjoying this latest version which seemed to be working for the most part.

John DeanFraser, Apr 1, 2017
  4. gregster Win User

I should add a couple of things.

1st: The troubled accounts have exited for over a year. The problem began about two months ago. So for the better part of a year this slow login issue did not exist.

2nd: During the 5 minute blank black screen period, CTRL-ALT-DEL works and allows Task Manager to be started for the account which has been started. Task Manager functions and shows normal CPU and Disk and network activity. I am not sure how this can be used to help diagnose what is wrong.

gregster, Apr 1, 2017
  5. Samuria Win User
    Welcome to the forum. Does the MS account login to other pcs I am thinking its down loading the profile as its syncs MS accounts

Samuria, Apr 1, 2017
  6. DaiB Win User
    Hi. I manage 50 PCs of varying ages all with Win 10. I quite often see this problem on random PCs. I've now put it down to Win 10 bugs which hopefully one day will be fixed, but I'm not hopeful.

DaiB, Apr 1, 2017
  7. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Trying to understand and resolve very slow account logins - Similar Threads - Trying understand resolve

2. Very slow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Very slow: I am trying to downgrade my extremely slow windows 10 laptop to windows 7 but I got an error saying Windows could not retrieve information about the disks on this computer and it even takes so long to startup and show my account and password box and when I type in my password...
  3. Very slow

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Very slow: I am trying to downgrade my extremely slow windows 10 laptop to windows 7 but I got an error saying Windows could not retrieve information about the disks on this computer and it even takes so long to startup and show my account and password box and when I type in my password...
  4. Solved: Very Slow Login

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Solved: Very Slow Login: After hours of searching without finding a solution, I resolved the slow login 12 minutes.My solution was to delete the files in the user account under the "AppData\Temp" directory."C:\Users\"User Account Name"\AppData\Local\Temp\*.*"Login is back to seconds....
  5. Trying to understand syncing

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Trying to understand syncing: I did a fresh Window install for "friend" - The moment I signed into Windows with his Microsoft account, the desktop populated but he claims that it did not look like his old desktop from his old PC before the HD crashed and that it look more like his wife's PC. I looked at...
  6. Trying to understand synching

in Windows 10 Support
    Trying to understand synching: I did a fresh Window install for "friend" - The moment I signed into Windows with his Microsoft account, the desktop populated but he claims that it did not look like his old desktop from his old PC before the HD crashed and that it look more like his wife's PC. I looked at...
  7. Hello Login Very Slow

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Hello Login Very Slow: I'm a good ol' country boy and I'm prone to ramble for a spell before I get to the point, but I like to set the context before jumpin' into the mud. So, if you have the patience, continue reading. I just built my first new PC from scratch (specs in profile) and installed...
  8. User Login very Slow after updates

User Login very Slow after updates: I'm experiencing very slow login on one of my user accounts. It's a recent issue, probably due to some update. I searched online for solutions, removed all startup programs and non-essential services, ran the "sfc /scannow" command, switched from a Microsoft account to a...
  9. very slow

very slow: my device very slow https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/very-slow/eaf30d84-58ab-4c41-9f93-dc2c1b7f95ce
  10. Very slow login after awhile

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Very slow login after awhile: Hi, since a clean install of windows 10 the login is very slow but that happens after awhile. When I create a new user and copy all my files to that user everything is fine and fast but after awhile without installing anything or changing the system the login takes...