Windows 10: Trying to use old IDE to USB adapter (works fine on Win7)

Discus and support Trying to use old IDE to USB adapter (works fine on Win7) in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have an IDE to USB adapter which is over ten years old. It works on my Windows 7 laptop but not on my Windows 10 desktop. My Windows 10 desktop shows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by THX1138, Oct 18, 2017.

1. THX1138 Win User

Trying to use old IDE to USB adapter (works fine on Win7)

I have an IDE to USB adapter which is over ten years old. It works on my Windows 7 laptop but not on my Windows 10 desktop. My Windows 10 desktop shows a drive letter under My Computer for a short time but it doesn't give a volume name or capacity and the drive letter disappears after a short time.

How can I get information from my Windows 7 laptop to help me get the adapter to work with my Windows 10 desktop? If I go into Device Manager in Windows 7, I see the model number of whatever IDE drive I connect followed by USB but really I think I'm interested in the driver that makes the converter work?

The converter doesn't have a model number although the PCB has U235 REV.C printed on it. There is an IC chip with CL811USB 0351MHGA6-24 on it and I can find information on the CL811USB controller but nothing indicating that there is a driver for Windows 10. Would it make sense to try to extract the driver being used on Windows 7 and install it on Windows 10?

:)

THX1138, Oct 18, 2017

2. Broadcom 802.11abgn Wireless SDIO will not start (Code 10) after build 10532 - now what ?

I had the same problem on my Asus Transformer. FWIW, I plugged an old USB wireless adapter in and it worked fine. The machine is running a new update now. Will just use the USB adapter until there is a new release that supports the Broadcom adapter.

SteveLambert OTSI, Oct 18, 2017
  3. JimDiv Win User
    Windows 10 doesn't recognize external USB drive that worked on Windows 7

Thanks for your suggestions.

The old WD IDE drive in the USB NexStar enclosure does not show up in Disk Management.

An external Iomega IDE USB drive does show up and works fine.

It would appear to me the problem lies in the enclosure or the drive itself. I'll order a new 2.5" IDE enclosure and try that while I try and hunt down a backup drive or disk.

JimDiv, Oct 18, 2017
  4. Plankton Win User

Do you have a brand name for your adapter?

Plankton, Oct 18, 2017
  5. THX1138 Win User
    No. It has 'a clever storage' printed on the case but I don't think that's useful!

THX1138, Oct 18, 2017
  6. Plankton Win User
    Could you post some pictures of your adapter.....top, bottom, left side, right side?

Plankton, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Trying to use old IDE to USB adapter (works fine on Win7) - Similar Threads - Trying old IDE

2. Win7 network adapters

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win7 network adapters: Having difficulty upgrading Win7 to Win10, believe issue is with network adapters, not sure which one. Under Device Manager, I'm seeing:Broadcom 802.11n Network AdapterMicrosoft Virtual WiFi Miniport AdapterRealtek PCIe GBE Family Controller Youtube video suggests this is the...
  3. Win7 network adapters

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win7 network adapters: Having difficulty upgrading Win7 to Win10, believe issue is with network adapters, not sure which one. Under Device Manager, I'm seeing:Broadcom 802.11n Network AdapterMicrosoft Virtual WiFi Miniport AdapterRealtek PCIe GBE Family Controller Youtube video suggests this is the...
  4. Adding an IDE Drive Via adapter

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Adding an IDE Drive Via adapter: Folks,I did a reset on my windows 10 laptop last week. I lost Microsoft Money. I have an older laptop that had MS Money on it. I pulled the Hard drive and bought an adapter to hook it to a USB port. When I do that it does comes up as a device. XT-U33502 shows up in the...
  5. Adding an IDE Drive Via adapter

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Adding an IDE Drive Via adapter: Folks,I did a reset on my windows 10 laptop last week. I lost Microsoft Money. I have an older laptop that had MS Money on it. I pulled the Hard drive and bought an adapter to hook it to a USB port. When I do that it does comes up as a device. XT-U33502 shows up in the...
  6. Laptop won't recognize IDE drive connected through USB adapter

Laptop won't recognize IDE drive connected through USB adapter: I'm trying to recover pictures and files from an old PC drive. Maxtor model number 4D080H4 Maxtor D540X-4D 5400 RPM 80GB Ultra ATA / 100 Bought a Unitek Y-3324 - USB 3.0 to IDE+SATA Adapter to connect it to my laptop, but the D: and E: drives that show up on Explorer don't...
  7. USB 3.0 SATA/IDE universal adapter no longer works after windows update

USB 3.0 SATA/IDE universal adapter no longer works after windows update: I have a USB 3.0 SATA/IDE universal adapter that has worked for many years. Sadly Windows did a number of updates and I do not know which to remove to get my device working. It is important to note that I also have a number of external USB drives that work fine. However, the...
  8. win7 upgrade to win10 using USB

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    win7 upgrade to win10 using USB: my motherboard failed and I installed a new MB. My HD has win7 loaded and I am trying to upgrade using a USB drive. I get a message say I cant upgrade from USB I need to boot from HD. I can't because new MB is a Z390 and wont recognize the USB ports so I can log on to Win7...
  9. old HHD connected by SATA IDE adapter to windows 10 not recognized

old HHD connected by SATA IDE adapter to windows 10 not recognized: I'm trying to recover data from my old WD 500 GB HHD that had failed I replaced it with a 1 TB SSD. I have connected the HDD to multiple PCs and multiple USB ports both front and back using a SATA/IDE to USB 2.0 Adapter. Both of my PCs run windows 10. Neither one recognizes...
  10. IDE->USB/SATA->USB adapters no longer working after Creators Update

IDE->USB/SATA->USB adapters no longer working after Creators Update: I have an R-Driver III USB 2.0 to SATA IDE Cable (Comes with an AC adapter) and a SODIAL USB 3.0 to SATA III Cable (USB power only). I have tried to format 2 IDE drives on the 2.0 cable and one drive on the 3.0 cable. Using the 2.0 cable I have incessant disconnecting and...