Windows 10: Trying to use salvaged windows 10 HDD in new computer

Discus and support Trying to use salvaged windows 10 HDD in new computer in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I salvaged my HDD with windows 10 that came pre-installed from my laptop filled with bloatware to use on my desktop in an SSD. I decided to reset... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Dobob, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Dobob Win User

Trying to use salvaged windows 10 HDD in new computer

I salvaged my HDD with windows 10 that came pre-installed from my laptop filled with bloatware to use on my desktop in an SSD.

I decided to reset Windows 10 to remove bloatware before migration. When trying to reset to do a clean install, I get an error "There was a problem resetting your PC", so it won't let me reset the windows 10 installation. It also won't connect to the internet even with ethernet cable connected and it isn't recognizing my 2560x1440p monitor, most likely because a lot of the drivers are messed up.

My plan is to migrate the Windows 10 from my HDD that came with my laptop to an SSD. But I want to migrate the bloatware-free version of windows 10, without the bloatware that came with my laptop. So I want to do a clean install of the OEM Windows 10 in a new hardware setting than the original. Than I will use cloning software to migrate to SSD.

I found the Windows 10 product key from my UEFI. How can I do a clean install of windows 10 in my old HDD and migrate it to an SSD?

:)

Dobob, Sep 15, 2016
  2. lacrumb Win User

Salvaging windows 10 from HDD and putting it into SSD inside a new computer

The activation of Windows 10 is not done to the software but to the hardware. New computer needs new key not an old one.

lacrumb, Sep 15, 2016
  3. Salvaging windows 10 from HDD and putting it into SSD inside a new computer

I salvaged my HDD with windows 10 that came pre-installed from my laptop filled with bloatware to use on my desktop in an SSD.

I decided to reset Windows 10 to remove bloatware before migration. When trying to reset to do a clean install, I get an error "There was a problem resetting your PC", so it won't let me reset the windows 10 installation. It also won't connect to the internet
    even with ethernet cable connected and it isn't recognizing my 2560x1440p monitor, most likely because a lot of the drivers are messed up.

My plan is to migrate the Windows 10 from my HDD that came with my laptop to an SSD. But I want to migrate the bloatware-free version of windows 10, without the bloatware that came with my laptop. So I want to do a clean install of the OEM Windows 10 in
    a new hardware setting than the original. Than I will use cloning software to migrate to SSD.

I found the Windows 10 product key from my UEFI. How can I do a clean install of windows 10 in my old HDD and migrate it to an SSD?

WeiShi- [O365], Sep 15, 2016
  4. cereberus Win User

Fisrtly, this is a bad plan as moving windows from a laptop to a pc is fraught with driver related issues.

Secondly, the licence on laptop is oem preinstalled and it is illegal to move licence to another pc. We are not permitted to advise on this as it is against forum rules.

You should simply create a bootable usb installation stick using

Windows 10

boot from it and install windows.

Then buy a licence to activate windows 10.

cereberus, Sep 15, 2016
  5. dalchina New Member
    Whyever would you want to do all that work instead of simply clean installing on your SSD?

As far as your laptop is concerned, you can clean install Win 10 on that when you like; changing the disk should make no difference.

dalchina, Sep 15, 2016
  6. bobkn Win User
    Trying to avoid buying another Windows 10 license, maybe?

I wonder whether the activation will survive.

bobkn, Sep 15, 2016
  7. caperjack Win User
    not likely ,as it is tied to the hardware of the laptop already

caperjack, Sep 16, 2016
  8. cereberus Win User

Actually not the case as his pc is product key activated originally. However, if it works, it is not actually legal as I said earlier.

cereberus, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Trying to use salvaged windows 10 HDD in new computer - Similar Threads - Trying salvaged HDD

2. Can I salvage my computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I salvage my computer: So my laptop needed to update BIOS but it said it needed to be connected to power supply and battery needs to be at 10%. Since my battery connection to my motherboard has loooong been busted I found out I could force the firmware driver to update, so it does, it finishes, it...
  3. Can I salvage my computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I salvage my computer: So my laptop needed to update BIOS but it said it needed to be connected to power supply and battery needs to be at 10%. Since my battery connection to my motherboard has loooong been busted I found out I could force the firmware driver to update, so it does, it finishes, it...
  4. How to salvage my computer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to salvage my computer?: My computer disconnected my account, and now whenever I try to login it will ask to make a pin and say there’s an error. I put to set up the pin later , but my computer blacks out for a second and resets to the Home Screen...
  5. How to salvage my computer?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to salvage my computer?: My computer disconnected my account, and now whenever I try to login it will ask to make a pin and say there’s an error. I put to set up the pin later , but my computer blacks out for a second and resets to the Home Screen...
  6. Windows 10 and New HDD

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 and New HDD: So when Windows 10 dropped I updated my copy of Windows 8 to Windows 10. I need to replace the HDD that Windows 10 is on. I'm assuming I need buy a new copy of Windows 10 Pro since this was a free upgrade from my Windows 8 DVD?...
  7. Windows 10 to new HDD

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 to new HDD: Hello I've found myself in a pickle, I have installed Windows 10 Home (upgrade) from Windows 7, recently I bought a new SSD because my current SSD is only 60GB which is causing problems to say the least, I want to install Windows 10 onto this new SSD. I'm unable to find...
  8. hdd to ssd on new computer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    hdd to ssd on new computer: Hi yes im going to buy 2 1tb samsung evo 850 to replace my 1tb hdd know my pc comes with 240gb ssd already what i want to do is unplug both and swap them out for the 1 tb evo 850 and then just completely install windows on one of them and have one on back up is this method...
  9. Salvageing Hardware

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Salvageing Hardware: Can any parts such as memory modules be salvaged for spare parts for a new computer. I am thinking about removing the old memory modules to increase the memory of the new computer. I did this a long time ago, but I forget the details. One computer is a Dell and the other is...
  10. Trying to transfer data files from salvaged HDD Cant find AppData

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Trying to transfer data files from salvaged HDD Cant find AppData: My 5 year old old laptop broke and I have salvaged its HDD with the folders. ( pictured below.) The HDD showed a recovery partition which was empty, and a Data Partition containing 7 folders The AppData and Contacts folders on the salvaged HDD are empty I am planning...