Windows 10: Trying to wipe my windows 10 hard drive from USB and it wont work

Discus and support Trying to wipe my windows 10 hard drive from USB and it wont work in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, I built a new system and the last thing i need to do with my old system is wipe the hard drive with windows 10 on on it. I found a few sites... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by durangod, Dec 16, 2016.

1. durangod Win User

Trying to wipe my windows 10 hard drive from USB and it wont work

Hi, I built a new system and the last thing i need to do with my old system is wipe the hard drive with windows 10 on on it.

I found a few sites that say to download some software (dban) to a cd and then boot off the cd but i dont have a cd rom. I tried doing it via the flash drive and then booting off that drive but it wont work, it just freezes.

I did use the universal usb installer but still wont work. Im almost to the point of just taking the ssd drive out and running over it with a magnet lol grrrr

How do i wipe my C drive either from the usb 7gb stick, or from the dos prompt?

Thanks so much..

:)

durangod, Dec 16, 2016
  2. Antg_101 Win User

Fresh installing windows 10

So ive been having problems with my alienware. I had a tech out to look at it and after some quick fixes he suggested that wiping the hard drives and reinstalling windows might fix my performance issues.

The laptop came with windows 8 installed and i dont have a code or anything. I used a copy of windows 10 to install over the top and it didnt ask for an activation code. And im not sure it would work because this copy of windows has been previously installed
    on my mates computer.

My question is, if i wipe the hard drives and lose the OS when i attempt to reinstall from usb will it ask for the activation code? And if it does in assuming it wont work.

Thanks.

Antg_101, Dec 16, 2016
  3. RomanC. Win User
    Windows Search Service isn't running after upgrading to Windows 10

A quick little update:

I disconnected all my hard drives except for my SSD where Windows was installed, completely wiped it and reinstalled Windows 10 with an USB Flash Drive.

And now it works again, even after reconnecting the other hard drives.

RomanC., Dec 16, 2016
  4. Trying to wipe my windows 10 hard drive from USB and it wont work

*Wink I do not believe a magnet will erase a SSD drive. Does your BIOS have a 'boot from USB' setting?

mega10user, Dec 16, 2016
  5. Mooly Win User
    Can you not just erase (format) the drive by putting it in a USB caddy and accessing it via any working Windows PC as you would any external plug in drive ?

That's what I did when I fitted a new SSD drive and wanted to wipe the old HDD containing Windows.

Mooly, Dec 16, 2016
  6. durangod Win User
    It only has boot from usb when i have the usb pluged in. Then when i try to boot i hit esc and it just sits there forever until i remove the usb drive. I have set it to boot of the usb but its not bringing up the program. Here is what im trying to do.

How To: Wipe a Hard Drive (DBAN) - Storage - Tom's Hardware
    @Mooly I have windows installed on my new build, so your saying that all i have to do is hook up this ssd in my new build and it will let me format it (even thought it has windows installed on it)?

durangod, Dec 16, 2016
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    You can do it that way.

But this is what I would do instead. Create a very useful flash drive (8 GB minimum, 32 GB maximum) that is a combination of Windows 10 installer and Kyhi's recovery tools (and for Pete's sake do NOT use Rufus to make it!):

Prepare the USB flash drive:
    Create a Bootable USB Flash Drive

At step 9 read the important box below the step and format it as FAT32:
    9. To format the partition, type format fs=fat32 quick, and then click ENTER

For step 12, you will download a Windows 10 ISO file:
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...-download.html

I like option 1. Once you have the ISO file, mount it. Windows 8 and 10 will mount ISO files with no software needed. Then copy all the files and folders from the mounted ISO file to the USB flash drive.

Download Kyhi's recovery tools. Mount Kyhi's Recovery ISO. Read my quote in the middle of the OP and copy the boot.wim file from Kyhi's recovery tools (sources folder) to the Windows 10 USB flash drive (also sources folder, overwrite the old boot.wim file):
    Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk

Boot the old computer with the SSD in it from the USB flash drive. Run AEOMI Partition manager. You should be able to use that to delete all the partitions on the SSD and wipe the drive. The USB flash drive is very versatile and can also be used to re-install/repair Windows 10.

NavyLCDR, Dec 16, 2016
  8. durangod Win User

Thanks NavyLCDR, thats awesome, i will print this and do it now. I really appreciate that. If you dont hear from me just assume that it worked because ill be lost in my build again lol, you know how it is *Smile This was my first build and even thought i had a couple little snafoos and some surprises, it really went off without a hitch and it fired up first time no issues. Im very happy... *Smile

durangod, Dec 16, 2016
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    Please come back and mark you thread as solved so others can read it and know that it works. Thanks!

NavyLCDR, Dec 16, 2016
  10. EdTittel Win User
    Durangod: just a short historical vocabulary note. The word you spelled as "snafoo" is actually spelled "snafu." It's an acronym for "Situation Normal, All Fouled Up" -- except in the original version, a different "F-word" might be used. These are military terms of WWII vintage. For the complete collection of terms, see the hilarious definition at the Urban Dictionary: Urban Dictionary: SNAFU.
    HTH (and that you find it interesting),
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Trying to wipe my windows 10 hard drive from USB and it wont work - Similar Threads - Trying wipe hard

2. Accidentally wiped Windows 10 from my hard drive ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Accidentally wiped Windows 10 from my hard drive ?: Hi.I should preface that I'm not at all worried about any data loss that may arise from this situation, as I backed up my data externally beforehand.So I recently bought a second-hand PC, running Windows 10. The thing was full of bloatware, so I went for the nuclear option of...
  3. Accidentally wiped Windows 10 from my hard drive ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Accidentally wiped Windows 10 from my hard drive ?: Hi.I should preface that I'm not at all worried about any data loss that may arise from this situation, as I backed up my data externally beforehand.So I recently bought a second-hand PC, running Windows 10. The thing was full of bloatware, so I went for the nuclear option of...
  4. Accidentally wiped Windows 10 from my hard drive ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Wiping my hard drive clean Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Wiping my hard drive clean Windows 10: Hello all, I just bought a new computer with Win11. HP Envy I think. Anyway I want to wipe clean Old Computer #1. I went online and found these instructions and want to know if your agree with it: How to wipe a hard drive - Windows 10Press the Windows key.Type “Settings” to...
  6. Wiping my hard drive clean Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wiping my hard drive clean Windows 10: Hello all, I just bought a new computer with Win11. HP Envy I think. Anyway I want to wipe clean Old Computer #1. I went online and found these instructions and want to know if your agree with it: How to wipe a hard drive - Windows 10Press the Windows key.Type “Settings” to...
  7. Wiping my hard drive clean Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Hard drive wipe

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard drive wipe: Hi,I need to wipe a external hard drive to reuse in another system. I thought about using ccleaner but I know it is unsafe. Just so you know I don't want to format it.Thanks...
  9. Wiping hard drives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wiping hard drives: I am selling a pc it has 3 drives installed, i factory reset the pc and chose to delete all files, will this delete the files from all 3 drives or just the drive with the OS on?...
  10. Tried to wipe hard drives of PC & set boot drive to USB no windows OS

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Tried to wipe hard drives of PC & set boot drive to USB no windows OS: Hi there, For a little background: I have bought a 2nd hand PC from eBay and it came and was working fine. However, the original users documents, accounts etc were still all on PC. I wanted to do what I thought was a fairly simple task of resetting the PC to factory...