Windows 10: Turn Cortana off without disabling it?

Discus and support Turn Cortana off without disabling it? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi All, I've had so much useful info from this site over the last 7 months as I've been playing with win 10 but this is my first post so I apologise... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Westy182, Apr 19, 2016.

1. Westy182 Win User

Turn Cortana off without disabling it?

Hi All,

I've had so much useful info from this site over the last 7 months as I've been playing with win 10 but this is my first post so I apologise if it's on the wrong board.

I'm trying to find out whether it is possible to turn Cortana on or off via Group Policy or the Registry but I don't want to disable it. I've already seen the GP and reg settings to disable/enable Cortana.

The company I work for are about to deploy Windows 10 and there has been a business decision to have Cortana switched off by default but allow the users to turn it back on if they wish.

Windows 10 will be deployed via SCCM and if I can't find a way to control the settings from GP or the registry I'll have to go and amend the base image to have Cortana turned off and re-capture it.

Any help would be very grateful.

Cheers,

Westy

:)

Westy182, Apr 19, 2016
  2. NS6288 Win User

Public WiFi Error

OK I think I actually found the problem. If i pull up the task manager, it relates the error to SearchUI.exe. I think I may have disabled this in the registry to turn Cortana off. I guess I need to turn SearchUI.exe back on. This wouldnt be so frustrating
    if Microsoft let users turn off Cortana without editing the registry.

NS6288, Apr 19, 2016
  3. Andre Da Costa, Apr 19, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Apr 19, 2016
  5. philc43 Win User
    Hello and glad to hear you have found the site useful *Smile

I am sure you have seen the tutorials on Cortana so I wont list those. As you say it is easy to disable and enable Cortana via the GP or Reg route but simply turning on or off is done in the Cortana Settings. My recollection is that W10 starts out with Cortana OFF by default. Have you found that to not be the case for you? Perhaps it is controlled by some of the privacy settings you decide during the initial setup.

philc43, Apr 19, 2016
  6. Westy182 Win User
    Cheers for the warm welcome fellas.

I have indeed checked through the tutorials and have seen the one posted by Brink but I need a way to manage these settings centrally if possible.

I've found that on the Threshold 2 (1511) release that Cortana is on by default and by clicking on the search bar in the bottom left you are asked whether you wish to continue or "not interested". Continuing then prompts for a windows login, and "not interested" switches Cortana off which can be seen in the options.

I'm hoping there is a way to have it turned off by default and the end user then has to go into settings and turn it on should they wish to use it. If as Brink says the Cortana settings are based per user I need to see if it's possible to set it as off in the default user profile. I have a feeling this isn't going to be possible.

Westy182, Apr 19, 2016
  7. Westy, why would you want to do that?

The last few Windows OSs have had terrible search engines. Cortana lets you easily get to things like Restore point, Settings, Device Manager if you don't know another way. On the web, it is a powerful search engine that is at least equivalent to Google and Yahoo. Cortana can be shrunk down to a magnifying glass icon to save space, but there is no good reason to get rid of it.

Vince Massi, Apr 19, 2016
  8. Westy182 Win User

Hi Vince,

Basically this has been a security decision by the business due to all the data collection scaremongering. The business like to let their users be as flexible as possible so they want it switched off by default but allow the end user to turn it on if they want to. If it was my decision I'd leave it on.

Westy182, Apr 19, 2016
  9. dalchina New Member
    Would simply hiding the search bar be enough to satisfy your bosses? (= rt click on taskbar and click Cortana, Hidden)
    If that could be done remotely...

These hot keys still apply:
    Windows key + S, Windows key + C launch Cortana.

I suspect turning Cortana off completely inhibits searching in Settings (which is dependent, like Cortana's 'My Stuff' on Windows search index)- think I noted that when Cortana was 'broken' once.

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Turn Cortana off without disabling it? - Similar Threads - Turn Cortana off

2. turn off cortana

in Cortana
    turn off cortana: Since 1903 update moments ago in windows 10 that annoying, useless Cortana is back on. How to turn OFF cortana yet keep the search button/bar. Or, even better yet, how to uninstall version 1903...
  3. Turn off or uninstall Cortana

in Cortana
    Turn off or uninstall Cortana: MS keeps telling me I can't uninstall or permanently disable Cortana - an application I do not need, never asked to install. But even if I tell it to go be quiet and stop trying to interfere in my life, sooner or later it pops up in the middle of working on something,...
  4. Why can't I turn off Cortana?

in Cortana
    Why can't I turn off Cortana?: I have no use case for Cortana. I have no interest in Cortana. Cortana is merely a drain on my battery. Cortana also isn't available in all locations. It literally makes no sense to me why you won't allow users to just remove it....
  5. Turn off cortana in windows 1803

in Windows 10 Support
    Turn off cortana in windows 1803: I'd like to use search (superkey/winkey activated) to open up programs not to search the web or the store apps if possible How to turn off cortana in 1803? Can not find any option in gpedit.msc no more, turnin off cortana worked in 1709 is it still possible or has this...
  6. Turn off Cortana Anniversary edition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Turn off Cortana Anniversary edition: Just upgraded to Anniversary version. Ho do I turn off Cortana in my Anniversary Edition ? Tks 64362
  7. turn off cortana

turn off cortana: Just updated to Win10 v14366. How do I turn off Cortana? 53946
  8. How To Disable & Turn Off Cortana

How To Disable & Turn Off Cortana: Hello, so I use an alternate interface for my Start Button and don't have Search on my TaskBar; I use the app called Classic Shell. Its search option doesn't use Cortana and I like it more because of how simple and quick it is. So I attempted to disable Cortana this...
  9. Turn off Cortana

Turn off Cortana: I want to turn off Cortana but it is not listed in the Local Group Policy. 104369
  10. Is there a way to stop Microsoft spying without turning off Cortana?

in Windows 10 Support
    Is there a way to stop Microsoft spying without turning off Cortana?: So the question is in the title. Right from the start of Windows 10 Cortana was one of my favourite features but then the Web started to fill up with articles saying that Cortana is a Microsoft tool that sends all your data to them and the only way to stop them is by turning...