Windows 10: Turn off the display: 5 minutes; still on 30 minutes later.

Discus and support Turn off the display: 5 minutes; still on 30 minutes later. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I created my own Power plan, and set "Turn off display:" to 5 minutes. I went away for half an hour, and when I came back, the display is still on.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Swifty, Dec 16, 2017.

1. Swifty Win User

Turn off the display: 5 minutes; still on 30 minutes later.

I created my own Power plan, and set "Turn off display:" to 5 minutes.
    I went away for half an hour, and when I came back, the display is still on.

Any suggestions why this is not working?

:)

Swifty, Dec 16, 2017

2. Regarding Sleep Mode Problem In Windows 10?

Hi Greg, the Power Plan is on Balanced/Recommended. For Turn off the display On battery, it is set on 5 minutes. For Turn off the display Plugged in, it is set on 10 minutes. To Put the computer to sleep On battery, it is set on 15 minutes. To Put the
    computer to sleep Plugged in, it is set on 30 minutes. These are all default values by the way. For Sleep after On battery, it is set on 15 minutes. For Sleep Plugged in, it is set on 30 minutes. For Allow hybrid sleep On battery, it is off. For Allow hybrid
    sleep Plugged in, it is off. For Hibernate after On battery, it is set on 180 Minutes. For Hibernate after Plugged in, it is set on 180 minutes. For Allow wake timers On battery, it is Disable. For Allow wake timers Plugged in, it is set on Important Wake
    Timers Only. To Turn off hard disk after On battery, it is set on 10 Minutes. To Turn off hard disk after Plugged in, it is set on 20 minutes. Is that all right and is that everything you need? Please let me know. Thanks for your help. Turn off the display: 5 minutes; still on 30 minutes later. :)

MarkPetrick, Dec 16, 2017
  3. Display & computer sleep functions don't work with Windows 10, Build 1607

This is a desktop PC. After the Anniversary Update for Windows 10 (Build 1607) was downloaded, the sleep timer functions in Power Options, Balanced, no longer work. In Advanced Options, I have the following setttings:

• Turn off display after 5 minutes,
    • Turn off hard drive after 20 minutes,
    • PC goes to sleep after 30 minutes, and
    • For Multimedia, I have selected "Allow computer to sleep" when sharing media.

With these settings, the display does not turn off and the desktop does not go into sleep mode. The display turns off, but then immediately comes back on. HELP!!!

John Herkes, Dec 16, 2017
  4. Edwin New Member

Let's start with the obvious, did you click 'Save changes'?

Turn off the display: 5 minutes; still on 30 minutes later. [​IMG]

Edwin, Dec 16, 2017
  5. Swifty Win User
    Yes, I'd saved the changes. But I had to go back into the power settings to be sure, and my Steve's Power Scheme (or something like that; I'm on my tablet, away from the PC right now) is as I'd set it, and was the selected/active scheme.

I'll tinker round a bit more, after I've taken my dog, Alfie (ANY-Web Community Websites.

Swifty, Dec 16, 2017
  6. Swifty Win User
    Well, my settings seem to be in order, and my "Steves Power" profile is the active one.
    But if I wait long enough, the display does lock, so it looks like some other profile is the actual active one.

Swifty, Dec 18, 2017
  7. Mooly Win User
    Fwiw, I have mine to switch off after 60 minutes and for the most part it doesn't. This is on a clean install. Occasionally though it does although there seems no obvious reason for the random behaviour. Also I often find the desktop background which I have set to change every ten minutes often freezes when left and fails to recover unless I manually intervene and refresh file explorer. Even plugging a USB flash drive in reawakens it back to normal operation. That's been that way since W8.1

Mooly, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Turn off the display: 5 minutes; still on 30 minutes later. - Similar Threads - Turn off display

2. Display turns off after 1-2 minutes even though set to 5 minutes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Display turns off after 1-2 minutes even though set to 5 minutes: Hi everyone. I am using Windows 11 and I have set my display to turn off in 5 minutes and the computer to go to sleep in 10 minutes in all cases. However, the display loses brightness in almost a minute and not long after 15 seconds maybe it turns off completely. I have...
  3. Display turns off after 1-2 minutes even though set to 5 minutes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Display turns off after 1-2 minutes even though set to 5 minutes: Hi everyone. I am using Windows 11 and I have set my display to turn off in 5 minutes and the computer to go to sleep in 10 minutes in all cases. However, the display loses brightness in almost a minute and not long after 15 seconds maybe it turns off completely. I have...
  4. LAPTOP DISPLAY TURNS OFF AFTER SEVERAL MINUTES

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    LAPTOP DISPLAY TURNS OFF AFTER SEVERAL MINUTES: My laptop display will turnoff after few min. Computer is up to date. The computer is running but after a few mintues display goes away. I do have 2 external monitors but i need my 3rd, Main Laptop Display As Well! I've been working & researching this for over a month! My...
  5. LAPTOP DISPLAY TURNS OFF AFTER SEVERAL MINUTES

in Windows 10 Gaming
    LAPTOP DISPLAY TURNS OFF AFTER SEVERAL MINUTES: My laptop display will turnoff after few min. Computer is up to date. The computer is running but after a few mintues display goes away. I do have 2 external monitors but i need my 3rd, Main Laptop Display As Well! I've been working & researching this for over a month! My...
  6. My computer is set to turn off the display off after 5 minutes and put the computer to...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My computer is set to turn off the display off after 5 minutes and put the computer to...: My computer is set to turn off the display off after 5 minutes and put the computer to sleep after 10 minutes. The monitor goes off but the computer does not go to sleep....
  7. Internet going out ever 5-10 minutes, then turning back on 15-30 seconds later.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Internet going out ever 5-10 minutes, then turning back on 15-30 seconds later.: Until today my internet was working just fine, never having many problems. Then when I want to unplug my pc and move my setup to a different part of my room, my internet has been acting up. I've tried restarting my pc, router, updating windows, and updating my network drivers...
  8. Screen Turns Off After Exactly 30 minutes

Screen Turns Off After Exactly 30 minutes: Hello, My screen on my Dell XPS 9570 turns off after 30 minutes exactly, to the second! even while I am actively using it. Upon using the keyboard or touchpad I re-enter the lock screen, where I can log in using fingerprint per usual. I checked the event viewer logs, and...
  9. Windows 10 Sleep timer resets to 5 minutes turn off display and 10 minutes sleep when...

Windows 10 Sleep timer resets to 5 minutes turn off display and 10 minutes sleep when...: Every time the computer turns off the display, sleep timers reset to 5 minutes 10 minutes. Help pls? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-sleep-timer-resets-to-5-minutes-turn/f7bd7559-515a-4bf9-80fd-41e4bae3aa83
  10. computor turn off at 5 minutes

in Windows 10 Customization
    computor turn off at 5 minutes: where do I go to get the timing of screen shut down opened to a longer time. I am in the middle of reading or watch something and the 'puter keeps closing down on me. This sucks....