Windows 10: Turn OFF those updates!

Discus and support Turn OFF those updates! in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; So, by now your Windows 10 computer is running perfectly and you do NOT want to make any software changes. And that includes the Microsoft compulsory... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by teachermark, Aug 13, 2015.

1. Turn OFF those updates!

So, by now your Windows 10 computer is running perfectly and you do NOT want to make any software changes.
    And that includes the Microsoft compulsory updates, fixes and driver updates. Grrr!

But you've been told that you don't have a choice - you WILL get updates because Auntie Microsoft knows what's best!

Well, you don't have to get updates of any kind and turning them off is easy.
    But before you do, here are some of the side effects of using this method to stop Windows forced updates...

Windows Update will now only download priority updates... MAYBE!
    Apps downloading from the Windows Store might be delayed
    Start screen tiles will probably stop updating.
    Your offline files probably won't sync automatically.
    May cause drowsiness, heart palpitations, prolonged erections, etc!

If you can live with all that then just do this simple fix:

Click Start - Settings - Network & Internet - Advanced Options

Turn OFF those updates! [​IMG]

Turn OFF those updates! [​IMG]

Now, you see where it says Set as metered connection? Set that to 'ON'. (It will turn blue!)

That's it! You won't have any more updates to screw up your finely tuned machine. *Smile
    In fact, Windows Update won’t even list updates as available until you change the setting back to 'OFF' or change to a different connection.

This useful fix covers the connection that you are currently on.
    If you change your connection then you'll change your ON/OFF settings to the new connection's settings.
    But the good news is that it remembers settings from previous connections, so if you re-connect using the earlier connection, then the changes you made earlier will stick.

NOTE: Windows says that priority updates bypass this and get downloaded anyway, but actually in my experience they don't.
    Even critical updates have been held back on the 'metered' connections.

:)

teachermark, Aug 13, 2015
  2. LT*A Win User

photo editor

Becki ~

Which version of Win10 are you using that permits you to turn OFF the Store's automatic updates? For those of us on the Windows 10 *Home* version, I don't believe that that is an option. Googling indicates that the option to turn those Store updates OFF remains
    only for users on *Enterprise* or *Education* versions.

3. kmk7---01 Win User
    Balance update after texting.

To turn off those tones you can only turn off message tone which also turns off the incoming message tone. As per my knowledge there is no way you can turn it off without affecting the incoming message tone except to change to operator who doesn't give those
    updates Turn OFF those updates! :)

kmk7---01, Aug 13, 2015
Thema:

Turn OFF those updates!

1. Turn OFF those updates! - Similar Threads - Turn OFF those

2. Turning off Windows Updates

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Turning off Windows Updates: My Computer has not been able to update windows for 2 years. Every time it tries to update, it blue screens with 'PAGED FAULT IN NON PAGED AREA' and then takes 40 minutes to repeat this blue screen 5 times, only for it to eventually give up and return me to as I was before...
  3. Turning off Windows Updates

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Turning off Windows Updates: My Computer has not been able to update windows for 2 years. Every time it tries to update, it blue screens with 'PAGED FAULT IN NON PAGED AREA' and then takes 40 minutes to repeat this blue screen 5 times, only for it to eventually give up and return me to as I was before...
  4. Windows update is turned off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows update is turned off: Hello, I recently went to microsoft store to download something when suddenly I encountered this error.I tried many ways shown in youtube, but I can't solve this problem. Please check if something is wrong on your side.Thank you!...
  5. Turn on/off driver updates

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Turn on/off driver updates: Since MS took the Control Panel away in 20H2, where is this setting now ? It used to be Control Panel > Hardware 170023
  6. Turn off automatic updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Turn off automatic updates: I have followed the directions for stopping the automatic updates, but when I try to execute them, it tells me I can't access that feature. How do I turn this feature off?...
  7. Turn off those random "nature" photos in the Windows 10 screen saver

in Windows 10 Customization
    Turn off those random "nature" photos in the Windows 10 screen saver: Please forgive this very stupid newbie question, but I'm still getting up to speed on Windows 10 Pro. My Windows 10 screen saver (or perhaps it's the lock screen) shows random nature photos with links to each photo. I'm sure you know what I mean; it's some kind of default. I...
  8. Turn off those random "nature" photos in the Windows 10 screen saver

in Windows 10 Support
    Turn off those random "nature" photos in the Windows 10 screen saver: Please forgive this very stupid newbie question, but I'm still getting up to speed on Windows 10 Pro. My Windows 10 screen saver (or perhaps it's the lock screen) shows random nature photos with links to each photo. I'm sure you know what I mean; it's some kind of default. I...
  9. turn off automatic updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    turn off automatic updates: automatic updates in my laptop makes my browsing speed very low. how can I turn off automatic windows update https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/turn-off-automatic-updates/74d6a85a-409f-4eee-b806-5abd72a9471a
  10. What are those updates ?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    What are those updates ?: Hello Today I got those updates on my Surface pro 4, after restart I saw the bios screen with update bar. Windows 10 Pro build 14393.693. [img] I've searched over the internet and did not find a thing, when I click on the updates it takes me to :...