Windows 10: Turn off "Windows Spotlight (?)"

Discus and support Turn off "Windows Spotlight (?)" in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I think it's called Windows Spotlight, I maybe wrong, it's when you first boot up or wake up the pc, it's the pre-login screen, that has the Cortana... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by RobbyK, Oct 8, 2017.

1. RobbyK Win User

Turn off "Windows Spotlight (?)"

I think it's called Windows Spotlight, I maybe wrong, it's when you first boot up or wake up the pc, it's the pre-login screen, that has the Cortana stuff on it. I don't use Cortana and have all but eliminated it from the desktop. Of course it can't be completely eliminated but I don't see it unless searching the pc.

Anyway I went into "Settings>Personalization>Lock Screen" and turned off "Get fun facts etc...etc.. on your lock screen". This worked for a few days, no Cortana. Then poof it's back. Sure enough the thing I turned off is back on mysteriously. I'm not sure if there was an update or something, that could've turned it back on.

Is there anyway to turn Windows Spotlight off permanently? I've turned the toggle switch mentioned earlier back off, but I'm just waiting until it gets turned back on.

:)

RobbyK, Oct 8, 2017
  2. ChandriaNicole, Oct 8, 2017
  3. I had cycling photos on the lock screen. They are gone. I'd like to get them back, but I haven't been able to do it.t

Follow the same steps...

Press Windows + I -> Select Personalization -> Lock Screen -> Click Under background text (on right pane) you can see Windows Spotlight,Picture and Slide Show -> Select Windows Spotlight...

That's it...

Hope it is helpful...

Logeshwaran.C, Oct 8, 2017
  4. swarfega Win User

Hi there

Windows Spotlight is something different but Cortana does appear on the lock screen.

If you click on the search box and then on the gear on the menu that pops up, you will see a button about the lock screen. Disable that and it should disappear.

swarfega, Oct 8, 2017
  5. Bree New Member
    Windows Spotlight and 'get fun facts... etc....' are quite separate things.

If you select Spotlight as your lock screen you get a new picture approximately daily along with three clickable links, one that tells you what the picture is and asks 'Do you like what you see?', the other two will open Edge after you sign in with a page relevant to the picture. These links are part of Spotlight and can't be turned off. If you select Spotlight you won't see the 'get fun facts... etc....' switch in the Settings page.

Selecting Picture or Slideshow as your lock screen has the optional 'get fun facts... etc....' switch. I have mine turned off, I haven't yet seen anything that turned it back on unexpectedly.

Yes. Select Picture or Slideshow as you lock screen.

Do you sign in with a MS account? Perhaps the setting is being synced with another one of your devices?

Bree, Oct 8, 2017
  6. RobbyK Win User
    This is the switch that was back on. But, I specifically remember turning this one off. It just doesn't make sense it was back on, I know of nothing that would be able to turn a setting off or on.

RobbyK, Oct 8, 2017
  7. swarfega Win User
    Perhaps its a bug, might be worth getting feedback hub to see if there are any similar reports.

swarfega, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Turn off "Windows Spotlight (?)" - Similar Threads - Turn off Spotlight

2. How to turn off AI images from Windows Spotlight lock screen?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to turn off AI images from Windows Spotlight lock screen?: So, when I opened my computer this morning, I was greeted by a weird picture that looked like a combination of Monument valley in Arizona mixed with non-arizonan trees and the whole image was just kinda fuzzy, but when I went to look where it was from, it was AI generated. I...
  3. How to turn off AI images from Windows Spotlight lock screen?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to turn off AI images from Windows Spotlight lock screen?: So, when I opened my computer this morning, I was greeted by a weird picture that looked like a combination of Monument valley in Arizona mixed with non-arizonan trees and the whole image was just kinda fuzzy, but when I went to look where it was from, it was AI generated. I...
  4. Windows spotlight keeps turning itself off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows spotlight keeps turning itself off: Every so often, windows will turn off Windows spotlight, and I can't figure out why. For the background image, I choose "spotlight" and leave it. Then I'll notice that the background becomes solid black, and I go back into the settings to see the background image was changed...
  5. Windows spotlight keeps turning itself off

Windows spotlight keeps turning itself off: Every so often, windows will turn off Windows spotlight, and I can't figure out why. For the background image, I choose "spotlight" and leave it. Then I'll notice that the background becomes solid black, and I go back into the settings to see the background image was changed...
  6. Windows Turn on/off

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Turn on/off: I am using windows 10 home single language am facing an issue from the starting of Nov. Whenever I try to run Inventor or Autocad basically ran this two heavy software my laptop suddenly shows blue screen of error and it restart after a some time and for that day am not face...
  7. How to turn on or off Windows Spotlight features on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to turn on or off Windows Spotlight features on Windows 10: [ATTACH]If you want to turn off all Windows Spotlight features on Windows 10, this […] This article How to turn on or off Windows Spotlight features on Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  8. turn off

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    turn off: Is it okay to turn off laptop sometimes by power button? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/turn-off/6a1afe96-60c8-4bc1-90ab-fdce5e55ddcf
  9. Turn off Windows Spotlight "Fun Facts"?

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Turn off Windows Spotlight "Fun Facts"?: My windows spotlight lock screen is covered with obnoxious "Fun Facts" that ruin otherwise beautiful images. Is there a way to turn this off? I'm using Windows 10 Pro. I tried a method suggested in another thread (switch the lock screen to "Picture" or "Slide Show", turn...
  10. turn off

turn off: how do I go back to my regular picture and turn off paint? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/turn-off/ae72a602-5fc5-48ce-8150-ba8c396566dc