Windows 10: Turn off windows updates?

Discus and support Turn off windows updates? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; How can I turn off windows updates? The new windows update settings page is extremely basic and appears to lack many options from windows 7. I am... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by silverz, Aug 26, 2015.

1. silverz Win User

Turn off windows updates?

How can I turn off windows updates?
    The new windows update settings page is extremely basic and appears to lack many options from windows 7.
    I am concerned about updates downloading and update checks being performed whilst gaming. I would not be happy with bandwidth or system resources being used up during my play sessions as performance may be impacted.
    Is there any way to either disable the updates or to ensure update checks and downloads are only performed at specific times?

:)

silverz, Aug 26, 2015

2. 5800 - Screen turn off is a turn off...

...I've got a feeling that this works on WI FI from t-mobile but NOT with 3g

(I've NOT got wifi - so I'm not 100% sure)...

advid---01, Aug 26, 2015
  3. 5800 - Screen turn off is a turn off...

....Using Skyfire I can get Catchup TV and BBC iPlayer BUT when viewing - how do you stop the Nokia 5800 screen from turning off every minute (max setting 60 seconds)...Most annoying having to keep operating the screen on/off button to bring it back on
    again...

advid---01, Aug 26, 2015
  4. Turn off windows updates?

don't know any way of turning of MS OS updates.....you can schedule the restart, so it doesn't restart while you are working on the PC.....using god mode ( search this forum for instructions) you can disable driver updating.....the only other way of disabling MS OS updates, as far as I am aware is to,use WIFI NOT an Ethernet cable, then in internet settings in settings you can tell windows you are on a metered connection and it is meant to disable MS updates as it would cost you, being on a ' metered' connection.....seemed to work with mine, but WIFI too slow so went back to Ethernet connection and just disabled driver updates in god mode.....

reddwarf4ever, Aug 26, 2015
  5. Run this as admin via CMD and updates will only download, when you click on Check for updates:

reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU" /v "NoAutoUpdate" /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

TairikuOkami, Aug 26, 2015
  6. Hi
    thats handy to know....will use this myself, thanks

7. Brink
    Brink New Member
  8. Turn off windows updates?

Well for most users, it is best to set it to Notify, so Windows will check for updates, but not download.

reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU" /v "AUOptions" /t REG_DWORD /d 2 /f

9. reddwarf4ever, Aug 26, 2015
  10. silverz Win User
    Ok thanks!

That should be just what I needed.

silverz, Aug 26, 2015
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Only OPTION ONE and OPTION TWO wouldn't work in the Home edition. The others will. *Smile

Brink, Aug 26, 2015
  12. big10 Win User
    Is there command which displays available updates, but let me choose which to download and install, like one of the update options in Windows 8.1?

big10, Aug 26, 2015
  13. Turn off windows updates?

When you use the option Notify, you can use MS tool to decide, which drivers/updates, you do not want.
    It applies only to available updates ready to be downloaded. If there are none, you will see nothing.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

If you have set up "NoAutoUpdate" to 1, you need to change it back to 0 for "AUOptions" to work.

14. JaniN83 Win User
    I have 4G connection in one of my Computers and that is the only connection it will ever use. Is there a way to force Windows Update to download and install updates automatically? I have set the connection as not-metered but still I always need to press the "Download" button in Windows Update for it to start doing the update. Thanks.

JaniN83, Aug 26, 2015
  15. once check for updates is done, does the registry hack need to be re entered each time

Thema:

Turn off windows updates?

1. Turn off windows updates? - Similar Threads - Turn off updates

2. Windows Update constantly turning off

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Update constantly turning off: My windows update keeps shutting off when I try to turn it on, I have Microsoft windows Version 1511 2016 Microsoft corporation Operating system Windows 10 Pro.I tried some of the tutorials but none of them worked, I missed wuouserv, but I downloaded It and put It In the...
  3. Turning off Windows Updates

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Turning off Windows Updates: My Computer has not been able to update windows for 2 years. Every time it tries to update, it blue screens with 'PAGED FAULT IN NON PAGED AREA' and then takes 40 minutes to repeat this blue screen 5 times, only for it to eventually give up and return me to as I was before...
  4. Turning off Windows Updates

Turning off Windows Updates: My Computer has not been able to update windows for 2 years. Every time it tries to update, it blue screens with 'PAGED FAULT IN NON PAGED AREA' and then takes 40 minutes to repeat this blue screen 5 times, only for it to eventually give up and return me to as I was before...
  5. Turning off Windows Updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. Windows update is turned off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows update is turned off: Hello, I recently went to microsoft store to download something when suddenly I encountered this error.I tried many ways shown in youtube, but I can't solve this problem. Please check if something is wrong on your side.Thank you!...
  7. Windows update is turned off

Windows update is turned off: Hello, I recently went to microsoft store to download something when suddenly I encountered this error.I tried many ways shown in youtube, but I can't solve this problem. Please check if something is wrong on your side.Thank you!...
  8. Windows update is turned off

9. Turn OFF windows 10 updates

Turn OFF windows 10 updates: Hi, I have a 14gb windows tablet and as soon as I install a fresh copy of windows, I have 6-8gb free on my install drive. Later on, as soon as I connect to the internet, it all gets filled up and my tablet starts to lag. I don't really know where the updates are...
  10. How to turn off Windows update

How to turn off Windows update: How do I turn off my window 10 windows update it causing me to loose a lot of data. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-turn-off-windows-update/d32c6216-8b42-41ab-9624-70e84f64a99f