Windows 10: Turn On and Off Mouse Keys in Windows 10

Discus and support Turn On and Off Mouse Keys in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Turn On and Off Mouse Keys in Windows 10 How to Turn On and Off Mouse Keys in Windows 10 [img] Information Mouse Keys lets you... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Nov 26, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Turn On and Off Mouse Keys in Windows 10

How to: Turn On and Off Mouse Keys in Windows 10

How to Turn On and Off Mouse Keys in Windows 10

Turn On and Off Mouse Keys in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information Mouse Keys lets you control the mouse pointer by using the numeric keypad on your keyboard.

Moving the pointer using Mouse Keys

After you turn on Mouse Keys, you can use the numeric keypad to move the mouse.

[table][tr]To move the mouse pointer Press [/tr] [tr][td]Up and to the left[/td] [td]7[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Up[/td] [td]8[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Up and to the right[/td] [td]9[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Left[/td] [td]4[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Right[/td] [td]6[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Down and to the left[/td] [td]1[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Down[/td] [td]2[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Down and to the right[/td] [td]3[/td] [/tr] [/table]

Selecting a mouse button

Before you use Mouse Keys to click items on your screen, you must first select which mouse button you want to be the active button: the left button, the right one, or both.

Note If you choose to make the left mouse button the active button, it will remain the active button until you choose another button. After you select a mouse button, you don't need to select a mouse button again until you want to change buttons.
    [table][tr]To Press [/tr] [tr][td]Select the left mouse button[/td] [td]The forward slash (/)[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Select both buttons[/td] [td]The asterisk (✲)[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Select the right mouse button[/td] [td]The minus sign (-)[/td] [/tr] [/table]

Clicking items using Mouse Keys

After you choose a button, you can click items on your screen.

[table][tr]To Do this [/tr] [tr][td]Click an item[/td] [td]With the left button selected as your active button, point to the item, and then press 5[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Right-click an item[/td] [td]With the right button selected as your active button, point to the item and then press 5[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Double-click an item[/td] [td]With the left button selected as your active button, point to the item and press the plus sign (+)[/td] [/tr] [/table]

Dragging items using Mouse Keys

You can use the numeric keypad to press and hold the active mouse button and to release it. This is helpful if you want to drag an item.

Note You can use the numeric keypad to press and hold the active mouse button and to release it. This is helpful if you want to drag an item.

To change options like how quickly the mouse pointer moves and whether your computer makes a sound when you turn on Mouse Keys, in the Ease of Access Center, under Control the mouse with the keyboard, click Set up Mouse Keys.
    [table][tr]To Do this [/tr] [tr][td]Drag an item[/td] [td]Point to the item and then press zero (0)[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Drop an item[/td] [td]Point to the location where you want to move the item and then press the decimal point (.)[/td] [/tr] [/table]

This tutorial will show you different ways to turn on and off Mouse Keys for your account in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:

EXAMPLE: Mouse Keys icon on taskbar

OPTION ONE [/i] Turn On and Off Mouse Keys using Keyboard Shortcut
    1. Press the Alt + left Shift + Num Lock keys to toggle Mouse Keys on or off.

Note You will be prompted to click/tap on Yes to confirm if you want to turn on Mouse Keys.

OPTION TWO [/i] Turn On and Off Mouse Keys in Settings
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Ease of Access icon.

2. Click/tap on Mouse on the left side, and turn On or Off (default) Turn on Mouse Keys to use the numeric keypad to move the mouse pointer on the right side for what you want. (see screenshots below)

Note When Mouse Keys is turned on, you will be able to change the other Mouse Keys settings to what you want.

3. You can now close Settings if you like.

OPTION THREE [/i] Turn On and Off Mouse Keys in Control Panel
    1. Open the Control Panel (icons view), and click/tap on the Ease of Access Center icon.

2. Click/tap on the Make the mouse easier to use link in the Ease of Access Center. (see screenshot below)

3. Check (on) or uncheck (off - default) Turn on Mouse Keys for what you want, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshots below)

Note You can click/tap on the Set up Mouse Keys link to change the other Mouse Keys settings to what you want.

OPTION FOUR [/i] Turn On and Off Mouse Keys using a REG file

Note The downloadable .reg files below will modify the string value in the registry key below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Accessibility\MouseKeys

Flags string value (REG_SZ)

254 = Off
    255 = On

1. Do step 2 (on) or step 3 (off) below for what you want.

2. To Turn On Mouse Keys
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_ON_Mouse_Keys.reg

Download

3. To Turn Off Mouse Keys
    NOTE: This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_OFF_Mouse_Keys.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. restart the computer to apply.

8. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Nov 26, 2017

2. Mouse Keys will not turn off

Hi Casey,

Thank you for a detailed description of your issue. Since you've already tried unchecking the option
    Use the numeric keypad to move the mouse and still getting the same result, I suggest that you also turn off the option
    Use mouse keys when NumLock is on. On the Change sign-in settings, select the
    Make the mouse easier to use > Select Set up Mouse Keys, then make sure to unchecked
    or turned off the following click Apply, then OK.

• Turn on Mouse Keys - Use the numeric keyboard to move the mouse the screen.
    • Use Mouse Keys when NUM LOCK is Off.

Once done, go back to the Change sign-in settings, then this time click the
    Make keyboard easier to use, then unchecked the
    Turn on Mouse Keys. Click Apply, then OK.

Once done, close your Control Panel page and check if Mouse Keys still enables automatically.

If you have additional questions, or if the issue persists after the troubleshooting steps above, please let me know by replying to this thread. This way, I'll get notified and respond back to you as soon as I can.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Oct 27, 2019
  3. windows 10 key

Thanks but I don't want to do any decrypting. I want to download a Win 10 ISO from Microsoft and install it using my Win 8 key. No other steps required. Is that possible?

Easy Rhino, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Eric Ber Win User

Num lock key turns off

Hi Susan,

The status of the Numlock key is the same as it was in when you shut down your computer properly. If it was on when you shut it down it will be on when you again turn the computer on. In the meantime, let's check out if the mouse keys are turned off and see
    if this address the problem. Follow the steps below:

• Click the Start key, select Settings.
    • Click Ease of Access, then Mouse.
    • Toggle Off Mouse keys.

If the issue persists, we suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps that was provided by
    Kiran Kishore on August 19, 2015 in this
    thread
    to enable Numlock in startup.

Should you need further assistance, don't hesitate to get back to us.

Eric Ber, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Installing Windows 10 using Windows 7 key

Nope, you need to install Windows 10 first and make sure the Windows 7 key is transferred to your Windows account after you've installed Windows 10 (not quite sure how that works). I missed the last step and I could not activate Windows 10 after a re-install... Microsoft seem to have done everything they can to make it a PITA. Also, it's technically too late to do this now anyhow, as the upgrade offer has expired. But KMSPico works quite well...

As for getting rid of Windows, delete the Windows folder.

TheLostSwede, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Nordic Win User
    Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

I really hate having to come here and ask for help, but I really am stumped. It hurts my geek pride. I have a PC with fairly modern hardware in it. It has a p8p67 pro in it. I have tried upgrading windows 10 on it twice now. Both times I have had the same result.

After windows finishes upgrading it goes to the log in/set up screen. I can't do anything. No keyboard or mouse input is accepted.

I will list some, or hopefully all, of the troubleshooting steps I have tried:
    • Move keyboard and mouse to different USB ports.
    • Try different keyboard or mouse.
    • Restart computer, repeatedly.
    • Google for related issues.
    • Update Bios, because why not.
    • Create boot media and revert to windows 7.
    The windows 10 system restore boot media works fine with keyboard and mouse. All USB ports work in windows 7. I don't know what is wrong. I suspect that windows 10 is lacking a driver of some sort, but since the computer accepts no input I have no way of checking for which driver let alone installing it.

Please help me figure this out. If I have to revert back to windows 7 again, I am not going to get it upgraded to windows 10. Thank you in advanced.

Nordic, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Turn On and Off Mouse Keys in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Turn Off Mouse

2. Mouse keys feature spontaneously turns on and won't turn off until reboot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mouse keys feature spontaneously turns on and won't turn off until reboot: Self-explanatory. I get haunted by this issue since the release of windows 10, and it DOESN'T turn off via mouse keys menu or even via toggle. This is incredibly annoying because cursor jumping to top-left corner of the screen because even the feature itself doesn't work...
  3. Turning off Mouse Keys turns off my mouse pointer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Turning off Mouse Keys turns off my mouse pointer: So every now and then Mouse Keys gets turned on. I'm not sure how, maybe some keyboard shortcut gets accidentally pressed to turn it on while I'm cleaning it? Anyways, I went to turn it off and when I do, it disables my mouse pointer. How do I fix this? I can't use my...
  4. Mouse Keys will not turn off

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mouse Keys will not turn off: After recently restarting my Surface tablet, I am unable to turn off the Mouse Keys function. In Settings, I have the "Control your mouse with a keypad" option turned to "off", but using my arrow keys still moves my mouse....
  5. Mouse keys not turning off

in Windows 10 Customization
    Mouse keys not turning off: I have the ease of access feature "Mouse Keys" turned off however it still moves when ever I use my mouse and keyboard. I have looked on the internet and each thing keeps telling me to go to settings. These are the things I have tried my self: unplugging both my mouse and...
  6. I can't turn Mouse Keys off

in Windows 10 Support
    I can't turn Mouse Keys off: The Mouse Keys function suddenly turned on for my Windows 10 and I can't turn it off. I've searched around on how to disable Mouse Keys, and I've done both options that I've been told. The option is turned off in the Mouse section in Ease of Access. Yet Mouse Keys is still...
  7. Turn On or Off Filter Keys in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Filter Keys in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Filter Keys in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Filter Keys in Windows 10 Filter Keys is an Accessibility option that you can use to control the keyboard repeat rate and ignore repeated keys. When Filter Keys is turned on, you can also turn on...
  8. Turn On or Off Sticky Keys in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Sticky Keys in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Sticky Keys in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Sticky Keys in Windows 10 When Sticky Keys is turned on, you can press a modifier key (SHIFT, CTRL, or ALT) and then another key in sequence rather than at the same time, to enter shifted (modified)...
  9. Can't Turn Off Activity Similar To Mouse Keys

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't Turn Off Activity Similar To Mouse Keys: I know Mouse Keys allows the numeric keypad to control movement of the mouse on screen. I've checked this setting on my computer and it is turned off - which is my preference. However, when I press Alt and any of the arrow keys, my mouse moves across the screen. Alt-Up moves...
  10. Turn On or Off Mouse ClickLock in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Mouse ClickLock in Windows: How to: Turn On or Off Mouse ClickLock in Windows How to Turn On or Off Mouse ClickLock in Windows primary mouse button. To set when ClickLock is turned on, you would briefly press the primary mouse button on an item until the click is "locked". You can now highlight...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Turn off Mouse Keys. Enable the NumLock key. Update your keyboard driver. Use a different user profile. Check hardware issues.