Windows 10: Turn On AutoEndTasks at Restart, Shut down, or Sign out of Windows 10

Discus and support Turn On AutoEndTasks at Restart, Shut down, or Sign out of Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Turn On AutoEndTasks at Restart, Shut down, or Sign out of Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off AutoEndTasks at Restart, Shut down, or Sign out of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Jerry06, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Jerry06 Win User

Turn On AutoEndTasks at Restart, Shut down, or Sign out of Windows 10

How to: Turn On AutoEndTasks at Restart, Shut down, or Sign out of Windows 10

How to Turn On or Off AutoEndTasks at Restart, Shut down, or Sign out of Windows 10

When apps (tasks) do not end (close) automatically when you are HungAppTimeout) by default before the End Task dialog appears asking you to cancel or to close the listed apps and restart anyway, shut down anyway, or sign out anyway.

If you do not make a choice in the End Task dialog before the 1 minute timeout expires, Windows 10 will automatically cancel the restart, shutdown, or sign-out by default.

For example, if you have notepad open with unsaved changes when you restart, shut down, or sign out.

If you turn on AutoEndTasks, Windows will instead of the above automatically close any apps and continue to restart, shut down, or sign out of Windows 10 without the End Task dialog.

This tutorial will show you how to turn on or off the AutoEndTasks feature for automatically closing apps preventing restart, shutdown, and sign-out for your account or all users in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Turn On or Off AutoEndTasks for Current User Only
    • Option Two: Turn On or Off AutoEndTasks for All Users

EXAMPLE: End Task dialog when restarting, shutting down, and signing out

Turn On AutoEndTasks at Restart, Shut down, or Sign out of Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Turn On or Off AutoEndTasks for Current User Only

*note The downloadable .reg files below will add and modify the string value in the registry key below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop

AutoEndTasks String value

0 = Off
    1 = On

1. Do step 2 (on) or step 3 (off) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Turn On AutoEndTasks for Current User Only
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_On_AutoEndTasks_for_current_user_only.reg

Download

3. To Turn Off AutoEndTasks for Current User Only
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_Off_AutoEndTasks_for_current_user_only.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. sign in to apply.

8. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Turn On or Off AutoEndTasks for All Users

*note You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to do this option.

The downloadable .reg files below will add and modify the string value in the registry key below.

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop

AutoEndTasks String value

(delete) = default
    0 = Off
    1 = On

1. Do step 2 (on), step 3 (off), or step 4 (default) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Turn On AutoEndTasks for All Users
    *note This will override Option One above.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 5 below.

Turn_On_AutoEndTasks_for_all_users.reg

Download

3. To Turn Off AutoEndTasks for All Users
    *note This will override Option One above.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 5 below.

Turn_Off_AutoEndTasks_for_all_users.reg

Download

4. To Undo AutoEndTasks for All Users
    *note This is the default setting, and will allows users to use Option One above.

Undo_AutoEndTasks_for_all_users.reg

Download
    5. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

6. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

7. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

8. sign in to apply.

9. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Jerry06, Nov 13, 2017
  2. Shawn Brink, Nov 13, 2017
  3. Pamal__49 Win User
    Sleep function for windows 10

I followed the power options and sleep was not available. It showed two buttons. One was Power button and gave options of: do nothing, hibernate, shut down, or turn off display. The other button was a sleep button: Options were do nothing, hibernate, or
    turn off display.

Before I upgraded to windows 10 I had a working sleep function that was in the shut down or sign out menu. It now lists only sign out, hibernate, shut down, or restart.

Pamal__49, Nov 13, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Jerry, *Smile

This seems to have changed in Windows 10.

If you leave the "End Task" dialog idle for a minute, Windows will automatically cancel the restart, shut down, or sign out instead of forcing the apps closed and continuing with the restart, shut down, or sign out.

As a workaround for what you want for now, you could do this below to make it close any apps preventing the restart, shut down, or sign out quickly, and continue.

1) Turn on AutoEndTasks.

2) Change HungAppTimeout to "1000".

Change HungAppTimeout Value in Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials

Brink, Nov 13, 2017
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome. *Smile

Brink, Nov 13, 2017
  6. Those 2 values might be useful as well:
    Code: reg add "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop" /v "WaitToKillAppTimeout" /t REG_SZ /d "5000" /f reg add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control" /v "WaitToKillServiceTimeout" /t REG_SZ /d "5000" /f[/quote]

TairikuOkami, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Turn On AutoEndTasks at Restart, Shut down, or Sign out of Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Turn AutoEndTasks Restart

2. Shut down or restart

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shut down or restart: Occasionally when I try to shut down or restart after an update I get this message. I tried going to Task Manager and ending process. Doesn't change anything. It doesn't happen all the time. How can I stop it, kinda annoying.Please Adviseleahcimj...
  3. Shut down or restart

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shut down or restart: Occasionally when I try to shut down or restart after an update I get this message. I tried going to Task Manager and ending process. Doesn't change anything. It doesn't happen all the time. How can I stop it, kinda annoying.Please Adviseleahcimj...
  4. Restart + Shutting down

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Restart + Shutting down: Hey guys, nice to see you. I have problem with windows restart and shut down. Everytime I try to restart or shut down my PC from windows menu it stuck on restarting / shutting down screen.And I need to force restart/shut down from the physical button on the Pc case. I cant go...
  5. Restart + Shutting down

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restart + Shutting down: Hey guys, nice to see you. I have problem with windows restart and shut down. Everytime I try to restart or shut down my PC from windows menu it stuck on restarting / shutting down screen.And I need to force restart/shut down from the physical button on the Pc case. I cant go...
  6. Sign Out, Shut Down, Restart doesn't work

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Sign Out, Shut Down, Restart doesn't work: Hello, I am here to say that my windows doesn't shut down when i ask it to. Do any of you have a fix for this? Thank you for your time reading this. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sign-out-shut-down-restart-doesnt-work/ae02e2a6-69f4-4a9c-b2b4-31c68bf20463
  7. Windows 10 Shut down and restart

Windows 10 Shut down and restart: Shut down and restart not working in Windows 10. Everytime I had to press power button to shut down. Battery drains even after powering off. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-shut-down-and-restart/a8c8a9f1-3591-4bf4-aa54-c2301f899a7e
  8. Windows 10 Locking when going Shutting down, Restarting or Signing out.

Windows 10 Locking when going Shutting down, Restarting or Signing out.: Currently i'm testing 1903 Build 18362.267. When i'm shutting down, restarting or sign out the computer it brings me to the lock screen (equal to pressing Windows icon + L). When i do this on an account that has to use Ivanti workspace it locks the session while Ivanti is...
  9. Shut down does not sign user out first

in Windows 10 Support
    Shut down does not sign user out first: Windows 10 ‘Keeps you signed-in’ test: - (Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1803, Build 17134.523 - Set up as Local Account) Test 1 - Not signed-out: 1. Sign-in as ‘Visitor’ and then ‘Shut down’ without signing out. 2. Switch back on and sign-in as ‘Another User’ then shut down again....
  10. Signed in automatically after signing out (without shutting down)

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Signed in automatically after signing out (without shutting down): I have a number of standard window users without passwords. Sometimes when I use the sign-out option, the account is signed out but then automatically signs in again. Usually this only happens once but sometimes it repeats a second time. The accounts are local accounts. Any...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. autoendtask turn off

2. autoendtasks

3. how to turn off autoendtasks