Windows 10: Turn On Natural Language Search?

Discus and support Turn On Natural Language Search? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This used to be an option in Windows 7. So lets say you're in a folder, the feature allowed you to type something like "author coldplay" in the search... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Dyrone, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Dyrone Win User

Turn On Natural Language Search?

This used to be an option in Windows 7. So lets say you're in a folder, the feature allowed you to type something like "author coldplay" in the search box to bring up all your MP3 files that have "coldplay" as the author, rather than "author: coldplay". You could also use it to search by tag, file size, whatever...just made things a bit quicker.

It used to be under file > folder options > search, but now when I got there the option is simply gone. I was wondering if there was another way to enable it again?

:)

Dyrone, Mar 7, 2016
  2. kwdavids Win User

Cortana doesn't understand natural language commands

I said: "Hey Cortana, search for TD Bank hours Greer South Carolina" and I expected a web search for "TD Bank hours Greer South Carolina." What I got was "Sorry, I didn't catch that." The voice recognition as displayed at the bottom of the Cortana windows
    was perfect. It just didn't work. I tried again with the same result. Then I tried without the words "search for" and it worked, but gave me South Carolina bank locations not in Greer (I didn't verify that it heard the word Greer). Then I did a web search
    with Bing for "TD Bank hours Greer South Carolina" and that worked.

Then I tried my original query with Cortana that failed, and it worked the third time.

Given the erratic nature of Cortana, there's no reason to use it.

kwdavids, Mar 7, 2016
  3. Ken Blake Win User
    NotePad

Those many people were correct. Html is text, written in a particular format, just as almost every programming language is.

So you can write html, C, Cobol, and also many natural languages like English, Italian, French, and German in Notepad. For many of these languages, including html, there are other software choices that are easier to use than notepad, but the choice is up
    to you.

To write html, or any programming language or natural language, you have to know the language. Since you asked the question, I assume you don't know html. So your first step has little to do with notepad: you need to learn html. Get a book that teaches
    it or find a web site that does.

Ken Blake, Mar 7, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

If you type e.g.
    by:Bilk
    or
    author:Bilk

in the search field when explorer is focussed on a folder containing files or folders containing files tagged with artist Acker Bilk (e.g.) these are found.

Turn On Natural Language Search? [​IMG]

Note this result selects only those tagged, and ignores those not tagged with Bilk as artist.

Reference:
    Advanced Query Syntax (Windows)

dalchina, Mar 7, 2016
  5. Dyrone Win User
    Ummm, yeah thanks...I know that already...my question was concerning the natural language search feature that allowed me to simply type "author X" rather than "author: X"....it seems to be gone in Windows 10.

Dyrone, Mar 8, 2016
  6. Werewolf Win User
    I am not sure if you already discovered this, but the ability to issue natural language search queries was removed from Windows starting with Windows 8; therefore, the option is not in Windows 10. I was delightfully surprised when it was introduced in Windows Vista.

It is a great shame that it was removed because it, as you stated, made certain queries faster (for example, instead of typing datecreated:today to find all items created on the relative date today, one could type created today). It enabled a new "about" determiner that searched names, tags, contents, and subjects of files simultaneously. It also enabled advanced natural language queries.

Examples of queries include:

• Email received last year from Microsoft about Windows Vista
    • Documents by Ian about werewolves
    • Pictures taken October 2006
    • Songs by Artist rating *****

It was intelligent enough to allow users to use different search terms interchangeably. To find pictures, for example, users could type images, photos, or pictures. For music tracks, audio, music, and songs.

Werewolf, Feb 2, 2018
  7. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Feb 3, 2018
  8. Werewolf Win User

I do not regard the examples there—and thus the functionality in Windows 10—as natural. Surely one would not think to, for instance, speak or write "Show me" to begin a query when searching for documents created last week.

Werewolf, Feb 3, 2018
  9. SoFine409 Win User
    [QUOTE

Turn On Natural Language Search? [​IMG]

[/QUOTE]
    Wow, that's a stroll down memory lane. Good artist. Love his music.

SoFine409, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Turn On Natural Language Search? - Similar Threads - Turn Natural Language

2. How to turn off nature audio on windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to turn off nature audio on windows 11: Hi,I'm setting up my Windows 11 and the audio is still running from the, I guess it's the screen saver, I don't know. It's nature sounds. Anytime I go to play music or listen to an audio book it's still running in the background. Does anybody know what I'm talking about and...
  3. How to turn off nature audio on windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to turn off nature audio on windows 11: Hi,I'm setting up my Windows 11 and the audio is still running from the, I guess it's the screen saver, I don't know. It's nature sounds. Anytime I go to play music or listen to an audio book it's still running in the background. Does anybody know what I'm talking about and...
  4. No natural voice option

No natural voice option: Hi, I just downloaded windows 11 because I thought that was what I was missing to get the 'natural' voice option as the narrator. Even after following the help instructions there is not a natural voice option for me. Please help.Regards Oscar...
  5. I'd like to install Natural Voices in languages other than US English.

I'd like to install Natural Voices in languages other than US English.: Hello. I'm running Windows 11. In Settings > Accessibility > Narrator, whenever I clicked on Add Natural Voices, I always get stuck with the US English voices. I really need natural voices in languages other than US English. My preferred language is Australian English. Could...
  6. I'd like to install Natural Voices in languages other than US English.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I'd like to install Natural Voices in languages other than US English.: Hello. I'm running Windows 11. In Settings > Accessibility > Narrator, whenever I clicked on Add Natural Voices, I always get stuck with the US English voices. I really need natural voices in languages other than US English. My preferred language is Australian English. Could...
  7. Language pack keeps searching....

in Windows 10 Customization
    Language pack keeps searching....: I'm searching for a speech-language pack. and it looks like it's stuck. It keeps on searching and it won't find any. [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/language-pack-keeps-searching/97587383-07ff-45d6-aadd-79b7200b5a90
  8. does microsoft have software for natural language processing ?

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    does microsoft have software for natural language processing ?: Does Microsoft sell natural language processing software ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/does-microsoft-have-software-for-natural-language/c72f828e-00c0-44bf-b772-7c942e11ce3e
  9. Random natural landmark searches on bing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Random natural landmark searches on bing: So i upgraded to Windows 10 recently and I'm guessing there is some feature I don't quite understand yet. I dropped my keyboard last week and when I looked at the screen I was on a bing search for some natural land mark. Thought it was a little weird. Then it happened again...
  10. Backlit Natural Keyboards

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Backlit Natural Keyboards: Why are there no backlit natural (ergonomic) keyboards? Considering that backlighting is the hottest trend in keyboards, and that natural keyboards have a strong and loyal following...when is Microsoft going to introduce a backli9t natural keyboard? This question was asked...