Windows 10: Turn On or Off Activate Window by Hovering Over with Mouse in Windows

Discus and support Turn On or Off Activate Window by Hovering Over with Mouse in Windows in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Turn On or Off Activate Window by Hovering Over with Mouse in Windows How to Turn On or Off Activate Window by Hovering Over with Mouse in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by JulsieL, Dec 21, 2016.

1. JulsieL Win User

Turn On or Off Activate Window by Hovering Over with Mouse in Windows

How to: Turn On or Off Activate Window by Hovering Over with Mouse in Windows

How to Turn On or Off Activate Window by Hovering Over with Mouse in Windows

By default in Windows, you need to click/tap on a window to make it active and bring it into focus.

If you like, you can turn on a setting to activate a window by hovering over it with the mouse pointer for a half second (500 ms).

This tutorial will show you how to turn on or off activate a window by hovering over it with the mouse pointer for your account in Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows 10.

Here's How:

1. Open the Control Panel (icons view), and click/tap on the Ease of Access Center icon.

2. Click/tap on the Make the mouse easier to use link. (see screenshot below)

Turn On or Off Activate Window by Hovering Over with Mouse in Windows [​IMG]

3. Check (on) or uncheck (off - default) Activate a window by hovering over it with the mouse for what you want, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

Turn On or Off Activate Window by Hovering Over with Mouse in Windows [​IMG]

4. You can now close the Ease of Access Center if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

JulsieL, Dec 21, 2016
  2. Jammin Win User

Activate window on mouse hover

Hi guys, I'm having the same issue and Option 3 in that tutorial is not working for me. Should I start a new thread?

Mouse Hover Makes Window Active - Enable - Windows 7 Help Forums

My situation: in Win7, I had the option checked to 'Activate window on mouse hover' and just upgraded to Win10 and it's driving me crazy having no delay before the window gets active.

I went into the registry and for
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop
    UserPreferenceMask the value there after the upgrade is DF 7E 07 80 12 00 00 00

I changed this to the suggested: 9F 3E 07 80 12 00 00 00 and after logging back in, on hover, the window gets active but not focused - not what I'm looking for so I have left this value at DF...

for:
    ActiveWndTrkTimeout
    I changed the decimal value to 150 and still no delay. Even at 500, still no delay.

Help *Confused

Jammin, Oct 27, 2019
  3. 0neiros Win User

OK, this is what worked for me to Extend the time of the hover before Focus kicks in, do all the following.
    Start - Search Type in regedit - Click Yes when asked about the app making changes.
    go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER
    go to Contorl panel
    go to Mouse
    On the list on the right go to Mouse Hover Time
    Click on it. I changed it from 400 to 4000, you can do less, it's your call.
    Close the registry editor.
    Now Log off, then log back on, or Restart if you feel more comfortable.
    Now go to Control Panel - All Control Panel Items
    go to Ease of Access Center
    Go to Make the Mouse Easier to Use
    Uncheck the "Activate a window by hovering over it with the mouse" box
    Click Apply
    NOW RE-CHECK the "Activate a window by hovering over it with the mouse"
    Click Apply again.
    You should now find your hover time between windows is at a reasonable delay, and not instant.

0neiros, Oct 27, 2019
  4. SteveH Win User

I have same problem and found this great summary of it, but it seems it was moved to another thread. It would be really helpful when such things are moved like this if whoever did it could provide a link to the place it was moved to... Brink, or whoever, please advise

SteveH, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Trouble with Hover function

Hi Gwendolyn,

The option to activate a window by hovering it with the mouse may not be enabled, and this could be a possible cause why you are experiencing an issue with using the hover function of your mouse.

Follow these steps to enable the Activate a window by hovering it with the mouse option:

• Using Cortana, type ease of access.
    • On the search results, click on Ease of Access Center.
    • Choose Make the mouse easier to use.
    • Under Make it easier to manage windows, tick on the checkbox beside Activate a window by hovering it with the mouse.
    • Click Apply and then click OK.
    • Restart your computer.

Let us know if further assistance is needed.

Darleen Pen, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Turn off mouse hover - Windows 10

With the Control Panel Ease of Use mouse option "Activate a window by hovering over it with a mouse" unchecked, this function is not active
    when using a mouse, At least not on our two new laptop/notebooks.

However, the hover click setting appears to be the default
    when using the touch pad pointer. This has been driving my wife crazy (and based on forum complaints, hundreds of other Windows 10 users) because there appears to be no option to turn this function off for
    the touch pad.

I "fixed" the problem for my wife's new Surface book by plugging in a mouse, which appears to disable the hover feature when using the touch pad. The mouse sits unused near her Surface.

As the unwanted hover click appears to be an unchangeable default in Windows 10 on a Surface book touch pad, suggesting incompatible drivers or hardware, or logging on as different user is not very helpful.

Is there really no way to deactivate the touch pad pointer hover right click feature? If so can we expect it to be fixed in an upcoming update?

It would be great to see an answer on this forum that reflects an understanding of this problem (or debilitating Windows 10 feature) by a Micro software support engineer. Thanks.

Phillip_de_Coupeville, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Turn On or Off Activate Window by Hovering Over with Mouse in Windows - Similar Threads - Turn Off Activate

2. "Activate a window by hovering over it with the mouse" is missing from Ease of Access page

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Activate a window by hovering over it with the mouse" is missing from Ease of Access page: I am using Windows 10 home edition. In my previous PC I used this function as I have bad joints and I need to minimize my clicking activity. Yet, I cannot find this option under Ease of Access page.When I click on mouse this is all I see picture below. And when I click on...
  3. "Activate a window by hovering over it with the mouse" is missing from Ease of Access page

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Activate a window by hovering over it with the mouse" is missing from Ease of Access page: I am using Windows 10 home edition. In my previous PC I used this function as I have bad joints and I need to minimize my clicking activity. Yet, I cannot find this option under Ease of Access page.When I click on mouse this is all I see picture below. And when I click on...
  4. mouse hover over chrome window does not activate post screen resume

in Windows 10 Support
    mouse hover over chrome window does not activate post screen resume: Win 10 pro ver 2004 build 19041.804 Lenovo X260 After screen has turned off then awoken by moving mouse, the chrome and edge browser screens do not become active just by hovering the mouse and moving the scroll wheel (or trackpoint) It is necessary to either click on the...
  5. Turn off mouse hover

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Turn off mouse hover: The mouse hover feature is the absolute worst feature I have ever seen. Windows open and close on their own and one time it even deleted a folder of important files. I have a recent version of Windows 10 Home edition. In an old Microsoft community post it showed how to do...
  6. turn off mouse hover play

in Windows 10 Customization
    turn off mouse hover play: I am often editing music and video files names. I move the mouse over the file and music or video plays. How do I stop this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/turn-off-mouse-hover-play/e30da0aa-ae97-48d2-8aa4-d3c5ef102433
  7. Mouse hovering over other programs

in Windows 10 Support
    Mouse hovering over other programs: I have some problems with my mouse. If i've more screens opened, I normally can switch to the other screen with my mouse. Today I installed Windows 10, but every time I hover to another Window, it puts that window to the foreground. So the other windows, are behind this...
  8. How to turn off mouse hover auto click when over a link on a web page

in Browsers and Email
    How to turn off mouse hover auto click when over a link on a web page: I have searched all over the internet and these forums, and it seems many people are searching the same thing. How do I turn off the mouse auto click when it hovers over a link in a web page. I downloaded the windows 10 and it has started doing this. I can't find a thing...
  9. Activate window on mouse hover

in Windows 10 Support
    Activate window on mouse hover: Hi guys, I'm having the same issue and Option 3 in that tutorial is not working for me. Should I start a new thread? Mouse Hover Makes Window Active - Enable - Windows 7 Help Forums My situation: in Win7, I had the option checked to 'Activate window on mouse hover' and...
  10. Change Time to Activate Window by Hovering Over with Mouse in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Time to Activate Window by Hovering Over with Mouse in Windows: How to: Change Time to Activate Window by Hovering Over with Mouse in Windows How to Change Time to Activate Window by Hovering Over with Mouse in Windows By default in Windows, you need to click/tap on a window to make it active and bring it into focus. If you turn...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. activewndtrktimeout

2. activate a window by hovering windows 10