Windows 10: Turn On or Off App Launch Tracking in Windows 10

Discus and support Turn On or Off App Launch Tracking in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Turn On or Off App Launch Tracking in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off App Launch Tracking in Windows 10 Windows can personalize your... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by AmigaRoots, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Turn On or Off App Launch Tracking in Windows 10

How to: Turn On or Off App Launch Tracking in Windows 10

How to Turn On or Off App Launch Tracking in Windows 10

Windows can personalize your Start menu based on the apps that you launch. This allows you to quickly have access to your list of Most used apps both in the Start menu and when you search your device.

This tutorial will show you how to turn on or off app launch tracking to improve Start and search results for your account in Windows 10.

*note If you turn off app launch tracking, it will gray out the Show most used apps setting.

*note Turning off app launch tracking will also clear and disable the AutoSuggest history for apps in the drop down list of Run (Win+R) and File Explorer (Win+E) address bar. This does not affect file, folder, drive, network, and URL paths in AutoSuggest.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Turn On or Off App Launch Tracking in Settings
    • Option Two: To Turn On or Off App Launch Tracking using a REG file

OPTION ONE [/i] To Turn On or Off App Launch Tracking in Settings
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Privacy icon.

2. Click/tap on General on the left side, and turn on (default) or off Let Windows track app launches to improve Start and search results on the right side for what you want. (see screenshot below)

*note If the Let Windows track app launches to improve Start and search results setting is grayed out, then you will need to enable app launch tracking.

3. You can now close Settings if you like.

Turn On or Off App Launch Tracking in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION TWO [/i] To Turn On or Off App Launch Tracking using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

Start_TrackProgs DWORD

0 = Off
    1 = On

1. Do step 2 (on) or step 3 (off) below for what you want to do.

2. To Turn On App Launch Tracking
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_On_app_launch_tracking.reg

Download

3. To Turn Off App Launch Tracking
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_Off_app_launch_tracking.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. sign in to fully apply.

8. When finished, you can delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

AmigaRoots, Jan 16, 2018
  2. Martmcd Win User

Unable to add searchable commands to start menu

it learns, provided you have not turned off all the privacy settings.

check settings -> privacy -> General

make sure that 'let windows track app launches.....' is turned on

you may have to type it out in full once or twice (ie runemacs.exe), but after a couple of times typing rune will be enough

Martmcd, Jan 16, 2018
  3. Tryx3 Win User
    Win 10 Home Ed. Group Policy Editor

I don't have a recently used programs in my Start. I am on Ver 1703.

The closest thing I can think of is Recently added apps and this can be turned off -

Settings,

Personalisation,

Start,

Show recently added apps - set to Off

Or perhaps you mean the Show most used apps setting in the same group. If it is greyed out then you need to enable Settings, Privacy, General, Let Windows track app launches.

Denis

Tryx3, Jan 16, 2018
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Turn On or Off App Launch Tracking in Windows 10

Hello AmigaRoots, *Smile

Are you joined to a domain?

If so, the domain administrator may have a policy set disabling this.

Brink, Jan 16, 2018
  5. Thank you Brink, it's a simple home PC with no domains involved. I'm guessing some esoteric setting has been messed up, or it's a Windows 10 bug.

AmigaRoots, Jan 16, 2018
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Jan 16, 2018
  7. Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\All Settings: these are the changed ones:

I compared the above with my other PC, and they are exactly the same. On that PC however, App Launch Tracking works normally and can be enabled/disabled.

User Configuration\Administrative Templates\All Settings: all is 'Not configured'

I couldn't find something relevant in the Resultant Set of Policy.

AmigaRoots, Jan 16, 2018
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

In that case, go ahead and post a screenshot showing the Settings\Privacy\General page to see if anything else may stand out to help ID the cause.

In addition, what build is this for?

Brink, Jan 16, 2018
  9. It is version 1709, build 16299.192

AmigaRoots, Jan 16, 2018
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    I'll do some playing and see if I may be able to track it down.

Brink, Jan 16, 2018
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Jan 16, 2018
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Jan 16, 2018
  13. Turn On or Off App Launch Tracking in Windows 10

Option 5 did unblock the advertising ID setting. I enabled it and restarted, but the other two settings remain blocked ('track app launches' and 'show most used apps').

I've used a couple of the known privacy tools and start menu replacements in the past, but nothing too radical. The same stuff I use on my other PC which does not have the issue. I wouldn't exclude they might have messed something up, although this could also be related to a recent Windows 10 update or some other program. Who knows...

AmigaRoots, Jan 16, 2018
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    If this has just happened, you could do a system restore using a restore point dated before the setting was grayed out to undo it.

Since you show any configured policies responsible for this in your Local Group Policy Editor, the unknown policy may have been manually set via registry instead.

Brink, Jan 16, 2018
  15. It's going on for some time and System Restore can't help unfortunately. I just noticed there's an additional "Administrator" account present. The main user account has admin rights. I logged in that Admin account and it went through the initial setup ("This may take some time..."). The two settings are still blocked there, too. I'll go through the Group Policy settings later and also try to delete that account.

AmigaRoots, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Turn On or Off App Launch Tracking in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Turn Off App

2. "Let Windows track app launches" automatically re-enables

in Windows 10 Customization
    "Let Windows track app launches" automatically re-enables: I prefer to have the privacy setting "Let Windows track app launches to improve Start and search results" disabled in my settings, but every time I turn it off it turns itself back on when I restart my PC. This doesn't happen with any other settings I have. Is there any fix...
  3. Native Android app support for Windows 10 is still on track for 2021 launch

in Windows 10 News
    Native Android app support for Windows 10 is still on track for 2021 launch: After abandoning Project Astoria, Microsoft has been looking into ways of bringing Android apps to Windows 10 and it has already enabled streaming support via the Your Phone app for select Samsung phones. Microsoft’s latest idea is “Project Latte”, which aims to help...
  4. Windows Still Tracking Apps After Being Turned Off

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Still Tracking Apps After Being Turned Off: Hi! I've noticed that after I turned off the setting to track apps you are using, my app activity still appears on the Microsoft account site. Why does it still track my apps even though I have the setting turned off? Is there an issue with Windows or my PC? Thanks....
  5. Turn off track pad when mouse is present

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Turn off track pad when mouse is present: just running the by everyone. I'm configuring a dell inspiration 13 7368, I have been unable to turn off the trackpad. No options seem to be available in either control panel or setting/trackpad or settings/mouse. and no trackpad software. although the trackpad works great. I...
  6. microsoft store launches then turns off

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    microsoft store launches then turns off: microsoft store launches then turns off https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-store-launches-then-turns-off/b7b58045-22d7-41ca-b53f-359b92765708"
  7. Turning off track changes on PC with Office 365

Turning off track changes on PC with Office 365: I recently updated to Office 365 on my Windows 10 PC. I am unable to turn off track changes for any documents or templates. I have tried all actions suggested on Goggle. What can I do to permanently remove track changes from templates and Word documents?...
  8. How to enable or disable App Launch Tracking in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to enable or disable App Launch Tracking in Windows 10: [ATTACH] Windows 10 operating system uses a range of measures to track your app launches in order to boost your start and search results. It can personalize your start menu based on the most used apps in the Start menu as [...] This post How to enable or disable App Launch...
  9. Turning off track changes in Word

Turning off track changes in Word: Hi all, how do I turn off track changes in Word? I don't mean going to Review, selecting track changes and deleting the preferences. I have done that many times and saved the document and when I open it up again the track changes are still there in vision. Any help would...
  10. Enable or Disable App Launch Tracking in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable App Launch Tracking in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable App Launch Tracking in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable App Launch Tracking in Windows 10 Windows can personalize your Start menu based on the apps that you launch. This allows you to quickly have access to your list of Most used apps both...