Windows 10: Turn On or Off App Suggestions on Start in Windows 10

Discus and support Turn On or Off App Suggestions on Start in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Turn On or Off App Suggestions on Start in Windows 10 [img] Information In Windows 10, you will occasionally see app suggestions on Start... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Nov 25, 2015.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Turn On or Off App Suggestions on Start in Windows 10

How to: Turn On or Off App Suggestions on Start in Windows 10

Turn On or Off App Suggestions on Start in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information In Windows 10, you will occasionally see app suggestions on Start such as Candy Crush Soda Saga, Twitter, Minecraft, Flipboard etc... in All Apps on the left side of Start. If you click/tap on the suggested app, it will open to the app in Store where you can view additional information or download and install it.

These suggested apps in your Start menu and pinned to your Start screen are basically just advertising.

This tutorial will show you how to turn on or off app suggestions (advertising) in All Apps on Start for your account in Windows 10.

Note To remove suggested apps such as Candy Crush Soda Saga, Twitter, Minecraft, Flipboard etc. that are already on Start, you will need to manually uninstall[/b] (if installed) the apps.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Turn Off App Suggestions on Start in Start Menu
    • Option Two: To Turn On or Off App Suggestions on Start in Settings
    • Option Three: To Turn On or Off App Suggestions on Start using a REG file (Before Fall Creators Update)
    • Option Four: To Turn On or Off App Suggestions on Start using a REG file (Starting with Fall Creators Update)

EXAMPLE: Suggested app on Start

OPTION ONE [/i] To Turn Off App Suggestions on Start in Start Menu
    1. Open the Start menu.

2. Right click on a Suggested app, click/tap on Turn off all suggestions, and go to step 3 in OPTION TWO below. (see screenshot below)

OPTION TWO [/i] To Turn On or Off App Suggestions on Start in Settings
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Personalization icon.

2. Click/tap on Start on the left side. (see screenshot below)

3. Turn on (default) or off Occasionally show suggestions in Start for what you want.

4. When finished, you can close Settings if you like.

OPTION THREE [/i] To Turn On or Off App Suggestions on Start using a REG file (Before Fall Creators Update)

Note This option will only work before the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update.

A newer Windows 10 will need to use Option Four instead.

The .reg files below will modify the DWORD in the registry key below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ContentDeliveryManager

SystemPaneSuggestionsEnabled DWORD

0 = Off
    1 = On

1. Do step 2 (on) or step 3 (off) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Turn On App Suggestions on Start
    NOTE: This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

OLD_Turn_On_Show_suggestions_on_Start.reg

Download

3. To Turn Off App Suggestions on Start
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

OLD_Turn_Off_Show_suggestions_on_Start.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. If prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. If you like, you can delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

OPTION FOUR [/i] To Turn On or Off App Suggestions on Start using a REG file (Starting with Fall Creators Update)

Note This option will only work starting with the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update and newer.

An older Windows 10 will need to use Option Three instead.

The .reg files below will modify the DWORD in the registry key below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ContentDeliveryManager

SubscribedContent-338388Enabled DWORD

0 = Off
    1 = On

1. Do step 2 (on) or step 3 (off) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Turn On App Suggestions on Start
    NOTE: This is the default setting.

Turn_On_Show_suggestions_on_Start.reg

Download

3. To Turn Off App Suggestions on Start

Turn_Off_Show_suggestions_on_Start.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. If prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. If you like, you can delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Nov 25, 2015

2. Turn off all Suggestions on Windows Start Menu does not work

I've logged on and off and logged back on and still I tell it by right clicking on the Kiddo suggestion telling it to not suggest THIS ONE "Kiddo" again and it's still there. My setting are set to NOT suggest and "STILL" it's there.

I'e completed all suggestions listed in Windows forum so please Microsoft needs to fix this in a major update. I hate this. It may only be a simple tiny insignificant thing to Microsoft but to me it's extremely irritating.

If anyone else has tried anything new, I'll try of course I just feel Microsoft Windows must fix this and not ignore our requests.

DMartin-2016, Nov 25, 2015
  3. NormKeyt Win User
    Turn off all Suggestions on Windows Start Menu does not work

When I click the Windows 10 Start button, one of the items that displays is "Suggested." Various apps appear here over time. I want to turn the suggestions off. If you right click on the suggested app, one of the choices is "Turn off All Suggestions."
    If you click on this choice you are taken to Personalization/Start. One of the choices there is "Occasionally show suggestions in Start."

If you click the slider there to "Off" it has absolutely no effect on the behavior of the start menu. Does anyone know how to turn off all suggestions?

NormKeyt, Nov 25, 2015
  4. rfruth Win User

Another good tip and I thank you (& ZZ top)

rfruth, Nov 25, 2015
  5. Silvarna Win User
    Should probably reply to the right person....

Brink is there a way to do this for all users?

Silvarna, Aug 18, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Silvarna, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

I haven't seen an easy way to apply this to all users yet.

Brink, Aug 18, 2016
  7. "SystemPaneSuggestionsEnabled" has changed to "SubscribedContent-338388Enabled"

Code: reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ContentDeliveryManager" /v "SubscribedContent-338388Enabled" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f[/quote]

TairikuOkami, Aug 27, 2017
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Thank you. First post updated now. *Smile

Brink, Aug 27, 2017
  9. Not sure, but I think that this applies to Fall Update only, maybe include it in the note or keep both options.

TairikuOkami, Aug 27, 2017
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You gotta love them making it more complicated. *Wink

Brink, Aug 27, 2017
  11. omidsolo Win User
    I found "ForceStartSize" in Win 10 Pro 16299 only HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE works to disable (gray out) and HKEY_CURRENT_USER does not have effect.

Also even "SubscribedContent-338388Enabled" option 4 does not work, when you change the settings this key is changed in Registry.
    But if you change it in Registry settings is not read, even if restart...

omidsolo, Dec 18, 2017
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello omidsolo, *Smile

"Occasionally show suggestions in Start" in Settings is a per user setting that changes the "SubscribedContent-338388Enabled" DWORD in HKCU.

You do need to go to another page and back in Settings to see the setting change when changed via registry though.

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Turn On or Off App Suggestions on Start in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Turn Off App

2. Unable to turn off app suggestions in task bar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to turn off app suggestions in task bar: Hello,I am seemingly unable to turn off this app suggestion DTS Unbound, from the MS Storehttps://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/811234836802568233/985042867355541534/unknown.pngI have tried going to the Apps and Features settings page, and the option to turn off suggestions...
  3. Unable to turn off app suggestions in task bar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to turn off app suggestions in task bar: Hello,I am seemingly unable to turn off this app suggestion DTS Unbound, from the MS Storehttps://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/811234836802568233/985042867355541534/unknown.pngI have tried going to the Apps and Features settings page, and the option to turn off suggestions...
  4. Unable to turn off app suggestions in task bar

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Windows 10 Professional: Turning off "Suggested" apps? Pop-ups

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Professional: Turning off "Suggested" apps? Pop-ups: In Windows 10 Professional, how do we permanently disable “suggested” apps on business machines? There is a control panel setting to do it, but it appears to reset back to allowed after a period of time? Or perhaps updates turn it back on? How do we prevent this...
  6. Turn On or Off Timeline Suggestions in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Timeline Suggestions in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Timeline Suggestions in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Timeline Suggestions in Windows 10 Timeline is now available in Windows 10 starting with build 17063. It can be difficult to get back to stuff you were working on in the past. You might...
  7. Turn On or Off My People Suggested Apps in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off My People Suggested Apps in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off My People Suggested Apps in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Showing My People App Suggestions in Windows 10 Starting in My People that you might be interested in as developers work to integrate My People support into their apps. This tutorial...
  8. Turn On or Off Suggested Content in Settings app in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Suggested Content in Settings app in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Suggested Content in Settings app in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Suggested Content in Settings app in Windows 10 Starting with Settings. This content comes in a variety of forms, and can help you discover new features within Settings, or...
  9. Turn Off Automatic Installation of Suggested Apps in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn Off Automatic Installation of Suggested Apps in Windows 10: How to: Turn Off Automatic Installation of Suggested Apps in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Automatically Installing Suggested Apps in Windows 10 [img] Information Starting with Windows 10 version 1607 Anniversary Update, Windows will silently automatically download...
  10. Turn On or Off App Suggestions in Share flyout in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off App Suggestions in Share flyout in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off App Suggestions in Share flyout in Windows 10 [img] Information The Windows sharing experience in Windows 10 allows you to share web pages in Microsoft Edge from installed UWP (Universal Windows Platform) apps such as Mail, Twitter, OneNote, Cortana...