Windows 10: Turn On or Off Ask a Parent for Microsoft Family Child Member

Discus and support Turn On or Off Ask a Parent for Microsoft Family Child Member in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Turn On or Off Ask a Parent for Microsoft Family Child Member How to Turn On or Off Ask a Parent before buying stuff in Microsoft Store for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by shinjorai, Mar 22, 2018.

1. shinjorai Win User

Turn On or Off Ask a Parent for Microsoft Family Child Member

How to: Turn On or Off Ask a Parent for Microsoft Family Child Member

How to Turn On or Off Ask a Parent before buying stuff in Microsoft Store for Microsoft Family Child Member

One of the many benefits of having a Microsoft account is a family group, which gives you access to family features and settings. It's a free service that helps families stay connected and keeps kids safer on Windows 10, Xbox One devices, and Android devices running Microsoft Launcher. Youll find settings like activity reporting, screen time limits, location sharing, and content filters, where you can also track kids spending and add money to their Microsoft accounts.

A Microsoft family group is separate from other Microsoft apps and programs. You can sign up with your email account. If you already use Skype, youll have a family chat set up and waiting for you once you create your family group. If you dont already have Skype, get more information and sign up to create an account for your family.

Once you set up your family group, you can add or remove child and adult members.

The content filters you set determine what your child can get from the websites they visit, which games they can play, or whether they need adult approval to buy from the Microsoft Store. Content filters include three settings: Ask a parent; Apps, games & media; and Web browsing. You set the rules, and you decide when to break them. Like with screen time, your child can send you exception requests for content that you can respond to through email or on account.microsoft.com/family.

You can require adult approval for the things your child wants to buy in Microsoft Store, except what they get with gift cards or money in their Microsoft account. Even when Ask a parent is turned off, youll still approve content that exceeds the age limit you set in the Apps, games & media section.

See also:
    This tutorial will show you how to turn on or off Ask a parent for a child member in your Microsoft family group to require adult approval to buy things in the Microsoft Store on Windows 10 and Xbox One devices.

Here's How:

1. Do step 2 or step 3 below for how you would like to manage your family settings online.

2. As an adult in the family, go to the Microsoft Family website, sign in with your Microsoft account if not already, and go to step 4 below.

3. Open Settings in Windows 10, click/tap on the Accounts icon, click/tap on Family & other users on the left side, click/tap on the Manage family settings online link, and go to step 4 below. (see screenshot below)

Turn On or Off Ask a Parent for Microsoft Family Child Member [​IMG]

4. Click/tap on the Content restrictions link for the child member you want to manage. (see screenshot below)

5. Turn on or off Needs adult approval to buy things under Ask a parent for what you want. (see screenshot below step 6)

6. Turn on or off Email me when my child gets stuff under Ask a parent for what you want. (see screenshot below)

7. If turned on, you can now approve or deny the child's requests through email or on account.microsoft.com/family.

*note To see your past purchases, sign in to your order history with your Microsoft account.

If you were charged for an unauthorized purchase, you may be able to request a refund.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

shinjorai, Mar 22, 2018

2. Microsoft Family Should have more than child and adult family members...

Has anyone noticed that when adding someone to the Microsoft family there is only adult and child as a selection... Wouldnt it make sense for there to also be a teenage selection for those parents who want their teens to have
    control of their own settings but still be able to monitor their activity (without the teens needing the parents account info)...

I would make sense and could even be set to switch over from child to teen when the child hits a certain age...the parent could even pick the age...

Why not add it...it would be useful to quite a few people and it just makes sense to have a teen family member option

Ideas and things to take into consideration for a teenager family member option:

• Giving the teen a sense of responsibility by:
      • Allowing control over some settings
      • Option to give a money spending limit or making them able to save the money given to them over certain periods of time in order to buy something
      • ect.
    • Addition of a rating limit and automatically asking the parents for permission to buy or watch something that is over the rating limit.
    • ect.

This is just an idea I thought of...

If you have any support or aditional idea's for a teen family member option comment them below cause i wanna see if anyone else has ideas that would work with this...

KaylaTallowin, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Junaid_A Win User
    Microsoft Family Screen Time

Hi Laurel,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community forum.

This could happen when the child account fails to sync with the server. I suggest you to try the steps listed below and check if it works:

• Open
      File Explorer
      and navigate to the following location:
    • C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Parental Controls

Note:
      The above mentioned directory is hidden, copy and paste the same location on the search bar in the File Explorer to access it.
    • Delete the contents in the
      \\settings
      directory of the Parental Controls folder.
    • Reboot the machine to see if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, you may want to remove the child account from Microsoft family and add it again.

• To know how to remove an account from Microsoft Family, refer:

Remove members from your family group
    • To know how to add an account to Microsoft Family, refer:

Add members to your family group

Regards,

Junaid_A, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Turn On or Off Ask a Parent for Microsoft Family Child Member

Family member accepted invite to family, but does not show in parent account

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. I understand your concern and will guide you in the right direction.

Have you verified the date of birth you setup for these child accounts?

If you have not setup their date of birth properly on
    https://account.live.com/
    , we suggest you login your children's account and apply the complete details and update the account. After updating the profile information, remove and re-add the child account on the Family Safety
    website.

Please follow these steps on how to remove a child and re-add it as a member of your Family Safety program.

To remove a member, follow these steps:
    1. Log in to
    https://fss.live.com

2. Click Remove a family member.

3. Select the member you want to remove by selecting the checkbox on the right of each member.

4. Click Remove, confirm it by clicking Remove again.

To add the member again, follow these:

1. Click Add a new child.

2. You will be asked to sign in the member you want to add. Click Sign in at the right side of the option "Does this child has a Windows Live ID?"

3. Sign in using the child account. After entering the child account, it should appear as the member.

Reference:
    Keep your kids safer on the PC

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/add-child-account

Hope this helps. Get back to us if the issue persist. We are happy to help.

Swathi Ravichandran, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Peer_Sam Win User
    Block Google Chrome for Child

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I suggest you to remove the child account from family group and then re-add it.

To remove accounts from Microsoft family, please follow the steps mentioned in the link:
    Remove members from your Microsoft family and to re-add the account,
    follow the steps provided in the link: Add members to your Microsoft family

Ensure that Activity Reporting is turned on under
    Recent Activity in parent account.

After adding the account, sign into your child’s account on Windows.

Try to access the application and check if it reflects under ‘Recent activity’ in parent account.

Hope it helps.

Peer Samie

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Peer_Sam, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Windows 10 can't connect to Microsoft family

A Microsoft account is required to use the Microsoft family features. With this, you can add members to your Microsoft family and set the right limits for your child. A parent can manage settings for a child if both of their Microsoft accounts
    are in the same family. To learn more, we suggest that you check the following links:

We would appreciate it if you could get back to us and provide us your feedback.

Michael Gall, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Turn On or Off Ask a Parent for Microsoft Family Child Member

1. Turn On or Off Ask a Parent for Microsoft Family Child Member - Similar Threads - Turn Off Ask

2. family group child member cannot join

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    family group child member cannot join: Hello,My childs account was removed and added to another family group account which no one has access to anymore. How can I have his account re-joined. I can login to my account and his but he cannot leave the other family group account....
  3. family group child member cannot join

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    family group child member cannot join: Hello,My childs account was removed and added to another family group account which no one has access to anymore. How can I have his account re-joined. I can login to my account and his but he cannot leave the other family group account....
  4. Child turning off Microsoft Family activity reporting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Child turning off Microsoft Family activity reporting: Hi,My 13 year child is able to switch off activity reporting. This seems like a bug, as I would have thought that children should not be able to do this....
  5. Child turning off Microsoft Family activity reporting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Child turning off Microsoft Family activity reporting: Hi,My 13 year child is able to switch off activity reporting. This seems like a bug, as I would have thought that children should not be able to do this....
  6. Child turning off Microsoft Family activity reporting

7. Adding family member as a member adds him as a child?

Adding family member as a member adds him as a child?: Hi there,So I've added my wife as a family member so she can use my pc, but since she is not that computer literate I've added her as a member and not as orginiser. By doing that, she has received the email saying that I would like her to join my family as a child. After you...
  8. See Devices Connected to Account of Microsoft Family Child Member

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    See Devices Connected to Account of Microsoft Family Child Member: How to: See Devices Connected to Account of Microsoft Family Child Member How to See Devices Connected to Account of Microsoft Family Child Member One of the many benefits of having a Microsoft account is a family group, which gives you access to family features and...
  9. Manage and View Activity of Microsoft Family Child Member

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Manage and View Activity of Microsoft Family Child Member: How to: Manage and View Activity of Microsoft Family Child Member How to Manage and View Activity of Microsoft Family Child Member on Windows 10, Xbox One, and Android Devices A child's location, limit which websites and games they can access, and require your approval...
  10. Manage Screen Time for Devices of Microsoft Family Child Member

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Manage Screen Time for Devices of Microsoft Family Child Member: How to: Manage Screen Time for Devices of Microsoft Family Child Member How to Manage Screen Time for Windows 10 and Xbox One Devices of Microsoft Family Child Member One of the many benefits of having a Microsoft account is a family group, which gives you access to...