Windows 10: Turn On or Off Ask to Close All Tabs in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10

Discus and support Turn On or Off Ask to Close All Tabs in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Turn On or Off Ask to Close All Tabs in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Ask to Close All Tabs in Microsoft Edge in Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by mrgeek, Apr 12, 2017.

1. mrgeek Win User

Turn On or Off Ask to Close All Tabs in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10

How to: Turn On or Off Ask to Close All Tabs in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10

How to Turn On or Off Ask to Close All Tabs in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10

Turn On or Off Ask to Close All Tabs in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information Microsoft Edge is a new web browser added in Windows 10, and will be available across the Windows 10 device family. It is fast, compatible, and built for the modern Web.

When you close Microsoft Edge while having more than one tab open, you will be asked Do you want to close all tabs? by default.

This tutorial will show you how to turn on or off the Do you want to close all tabs? prompt in Microsoft Edge for your account in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Turn Off "Do you want to close all tabs" in Microsoft Edge
    • Option Two: To Turn On or Off "Do you want to close all tabs" using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Microsoft Edge Do you want to close all tabs? prompt

OPTION ONE [/i] To Turn Off "Do you want to close all tabs" in Microsoft Edge
    1. Close Microsoft Edge while having more than one tab open.

2. Check the Always close all tabs box, and click/tap on Close all. (see screenshot below)

OPTION TWO [/i] To Turn On or Off "Do you want to close all tabs" using a REG file

Note The .reg files below make changes to the DWORD value in the registry key below.

Code:
    AskToCloseAllTabs DWORD

0 = off
    1 = on

1. Do step 2 (on) or step 3 (off) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Turn On "Do you want to close all tabs" in Microsoft Edge
    NOTE: This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_on_Microsoft_Edge_AskToCloseAllTabs.reg

Download

3. To Turn Off "Do you want to close all tabs" in Microsoft Edge
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_off_Microsoft_Edge_AskToCloseAllTabs.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. If prompted, click on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

mrgeek, Apr 12, 2017
  2. aldrian95 Win User
    aldrian95, Apr 12, 2017
  3. How to restore "Close warning when close multiple tabs" Microsoft Edge??

Hi

Unfortunately they did not include an option to disable that "Always close all tabs" setting.

You can disable this setting by using the following tutorial.

See Option Two in the following tutorial.

How to Turn On or Off Ask to Close All Tabs in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10:

Let us know if this works for you.

Regards

Ronnie Vernon, Apr 12, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello @mrgeek, *Smile

I just tested this on my system to see if anything may have changed, and it's still working for me.

Is the AskToCloseAllTabs DWORD showing that it was set to 0 to turn it off?

It's odd that this DWORD is getting deleted on your system. It shouldn't be deleted. It should always be set to either 0 (off) or 1 (on).

If you don't mind, post a screenshot showing this registry key location to see if anything else may stand out as unusual.

Brink, Apr 12, 2017
  5. Works like a charm *Thumbs. Thank you Sir. It would be nice if everything worked so well.

Wiley Coyote, Apr 12, 2017
  6. mrgeek Win User
    "If you don't mind, post a screenshot showing this registry key location to see if anything else may stand out as unusual. "

Still not sticking. Here's reg w/your key added, no problem closing all tabs by clicking 'X' in upper-R corner of Edge, no message.

Now, re-open Edge with several tabs open. Click 'X' and message appears again. Filled in 'Always close ***' and closed Edge. Here's screen before closing, you see dialog box again

Refreshed View of registry and, as you can see, key is now gone again.

Just an annoyance but I know that on every other browser, ticking the box lets me close all by simply clicking 'X' in upper R. Any help or suggestions welcome and Thanks.

mrgeek, Apr 13, 2017
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Apr 13, 2017
  8. mrgeek Win User

I'll try that. I just tested on another system. Set value to '1' to invoke dialogue box. Ticked box to 'Always close all' and reg value re-set to '0'. Registry on other computer has far fewer entries but is not primary browser. I'll post results after testing. Thanks for your time to look.

mrgeek, Apr 13, 2017
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    I look forward to your results. *Smile

Brink, Apr 13, 2017
  10. mrgeek Win User
    SUCCESS ! I could not Reset in Apps & features because Edge is not listed. So I used the brute force method. Deleted contents of this folder -

*Arrow Reset Microsoft Edge to Default in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Browsers Email Tutorials

C:\Users\%username\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe and the ran powershell (admin) command - Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml” -Verbose}

Opened Edge and a few tabs, checked the 'Always close ...' box and check registry and Voila, the entry is there and set to '0'

and dialog box doesn't open any more in subsequent openings and closings of Edge. Now to reset my faves and settings. *Mad Thanks for your suggestions, Brink. Cheers.

mrgeek, Apr 13, 2017
  11. Sorry, but messing around in the Registry is not for everyone and this should not be the only answer. If this is the only answer am thinking about returning to Chrome. So far Edge like Outlook 365 has not proven too friendly. Is there a way to change this without going into the Registry?

dsterling9, Oct 14, 2017
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello dsterting9, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

There's no need for you to mess around in the registry, The downloadable .reg file is 100% safe, and will do it for you.

Brink, Oct 14, 2017
  13. Turn On or Off Ask to Close All Tabs in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10

Changed back to Chrome and now cannot get download. Is there some place I can find this? Still think it is absurd the way this is setup in Edge. Thanks.

dsterling9, Oct 14, 2017
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    What do mean by that you cannot get the download?

Brink, Oct 14, 2017
  15. Tried to open download but nothing happens. Apparently when I moved back to Chrome the download link is not recognizable. ?

dsterling9, Oct 14, 2017
Thema:

1. Turn On or Off Ask to Close All Tabs in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Turn Off Ask

2. Enable or Disable Ask Before Closing Multiple Tabs in Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 News
    Enable or Disable Ask Before Closing Multiple Tabs in Microsoft Edge: Microsoft has adopted the Chromium open source project in the development of Microsoft Edge on the desktop to create better web compatibility. This new Microsoft Edge runs on the same Chromium web engine as the Google Chrome browser, offering you best in class web...
  3. Microsoft edge closing and repoening a tab

in Cortana
    Microsoft edge closing and repoening a tab: I have looked at the same question yet the methods do not work how to fix???? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-edge-closing-and-repoening-a-tab/e299e48b-3741-4de0-a6dc-0ee06ba1c335"
  4. Unable to turn off Always Close All Tabs

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to turn off Always Close All Tabs: Whenever I close multiple tabs in Edge I get the following, standard prompt [ATTACH] However, despite me selecting Always close all tabs, the next time I close mutpile tabs I get this prompt. I've gone to [Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local...
  5. Microsoft Edge keeps closing tabs by itself

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Microsoft Edge keeps closing tabs by itself: Hi, Whenever I try to open Microsoft Edge, It says this page is having a problem loading, and if i try opening a new tab, it closes it automatically, then Microsoft Edge closes itself[ATTACH]...
  6. Edge asks to close all tabs with only one tab open

in Browsers and Email
    Edge asks to close all tabs with only one tab open: V1809 with the last Tuesday update. When closing Edge, it always asks to close all tabs even though there is only one tab open. [img] 119766
  7. Close all Tabs

in Browsers and Email
    Close all Tabs: When using a search engine and having the need to return to a previous page, at present I am unable to do so. All I can do is either "Cancel" or "Close all Tabs" . This means I lose the site and have to start all over again. I am using Windows10 64byte. Can anyone tell me how...
  8. Microsoft Edge - Do You Want To Close All Tabs

in Browsers and Email
    Microsoft Edge - Do You Want To Close All Tabs: Hi All, I accidently put a tick in "Always Close All Tabs" when closing down Edge, how can I change this back as I don't want this setting, I thought it might be called "warnonclose" like IE within the Registry, however this is not the case. I cannot see within the...
  9. Close All Tabs setting not working in Edge

in Browsers and Email
    Close All Tabs setting not working in Edge: Having this problem with Edge.. EVERY time I close Edge up pops that silly "Do you want to close all tabs?" window along with checking the "Always close all tabs" box.. I say Yes and check the box but it doesn't hold the setting.. Anyone know of a way to stop this annoying...
  10. Turn On or Off Tab Preview in Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Tab Preview in Microsoft Edge: How to: Turn On or Off Tab Preview in Microsoft Edge How to Turn On or Off Tab Preview in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 [img] Information Microsoft Edge is a new web browser that is available across the Windows 10 device family. It is designed for Windows 10 to be...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. ask to close all tabs in regedit windows 10

2. microsoft.comhttps://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/59159-turn-off-tab-preview-microsoft-edge.html

3. ask to close all tabs

4. turn off ask to close all tabs on windows 10,
  5. how to close all threads in micosoft edge