Windows 10: Turn On or Off Autocorrect for Hardware Keyboard in Windows 10

Discus and support Turn On or Off Autocorrect for Hardware Keyboard in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Turn On or Off Autocorrect for Hardware Keyboard in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Autocorrect Misspelled Words for Hardware Keyboard in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Aug 18, 2016.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Turn On or Off Autocorrect for Hardware Keyboard in Windows 10

How to: Turn On or Off Autocorrect for Hardware Keyboard in Windows 10

How to Turn On or Off Autocorrect Misspelled Words for Hardware Keyboard in Windows 10

Starting with text suggestions while typing on a hardware keyboard.

Text suggestions for hardware keyboard only supports the English (United States) language at this time.

This tutorial will show you how to turn on or off autocorrect misspelled words as you type on a hardware keyboard when text suggestions are available for your account in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Turn On or Off Autocorrect Misspelled Words for Hardware Keyboard in Settings
    • Option Two: Turn On or Off Autocorrect Misspelled Words for Hardware Keyboard in Registry Editor

OPTION ONE [/i] Turn On or Off Autocorrect Misspelled Words for Hardware Keyboard in Settings
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Devices icon.

2. Click/tap on Typing on the left side, and turn on or off (default) Autocorrect misspelled words I type for what you want under Hardware keyboard on the right side. (see screenshot below)

*note You will need to turn on Show text suggestions as I type to be able to turn on Autocorrect misspelled words I type .

3. You can now close Settings if you like.

Turn On or Off Autocorrect for Hardware Keyboard in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION TWO [/i] Turn On or Off Autocorrect Misspelled Words for Hardware Keyboard using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Input\Settings

EnableHwkbAutocorrection DWORD

0 = Off
    1 = On

1. Do step 2 (on) or step 3 (off) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Turn On Autocorrect Misspelled Words for Hardware Keyboard
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

*note This will also turn on Show text suggestions as I type for the hardware keyboard.

Turn_on_autocorrect_misspelled_words_as_type_for_hardware_keyboard.reg

Download

3. To Turn Off Autocorrect Misspelled Words for Hardware Keyboard
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_off_autocorrect_misspelled_words_as_type_for_hardware_keyboard.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Aug 18, 2016
  2. Erika Aro Win User

Autocorrect in Win10... basically non-existent(?)

Hi,

Notepad is a simple text-editing program that allows minimal formatting and limited to simple text entry. Meanwhile, the autocorrect in Windows 10 can be enabled or disabled by following the steps below:

• Type Devices in Cortana search and press Enter.
    • Click Typing beside the keyboard icon.

Each program has their own autocorrect features, from Windows built-in applications, web browsers, to installed applications. We suggest that you contact the application support to know more about their features.

Feel free to post back if you need further assistance.

Erika Aro, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Autocorrect in Win10... basically non-existent(?)

In this case, we suggest following the steps below to work around the issue:

• On the Cortana search box, type Typing Settings and press
      Enter.
    • Turn off Autocorrect misspelled words and Highlight misspelled words.
    • Restart your PC.
    • Do step 1 and 2 but this time turn on Autocorrect misspelled words
      and Highlight misspelled words.
    • Restart your PC.
    • Check if the issue still exist.

If you have questions, please let us know.

Jefferson Ore, Oct 26, 2019
  4. GDSTR1 Win User

Autocorrect won't turn off on Windows 10 tablet.

Using a Fusion 5 tablet, installed with Windows 10 Home Version 1803 Build 17134.706, running Office 365 16.0.11425.20228. Want to disable autocorrect. Turned off via Windows settings, but it's still operating. How can I stop it?

Just to be clear: I am using the onscreen software keyboard. Settings App -> Devices -> Typing -> Autocorrect misspelt words and Highlight misspelt words are off. I've even tried to stop it via a registry edit. Same result: autocorrect is still operating.

Ideally, I'd like to keep suggestions on. Happy with suggestions, I just want to do the corrections myself because it often `corrects` them wrongly which makes it harder to spot when proofreading.

However, if turning off suggestions as well is the only way, I can live with that, but whenever I toggle that off, it toggles itself back on again and so autocorrect comes back.

Tried asking this on the Office forums because I initially came across the problem when using Word, but it seems to be a general Windows problem.

Any suggestions?

GDSTR1, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Jelu Cal Win User
    Microsoft Mail Windows 10 - Can't disble Autocorrect spelling

Hi,

Your concern about Windows 10 Mail can be due to the configuration of the application on your device. To better understand your concern, we'd like to know the following:

• If you've also already turned off Autocorrect misspelled words. To check this, you can perform the following:
      • Search and launch Settings using Cortana.
      • Click on Devices.
      • Click on Typing.
      • Locate Autocorrect misspelled words under Spelling.

• The version and build of Windows 10 that you're using on your device. To check this, you can perform the steps posted on this

link

In the event that Autocorrect misspelled words is already turned off, we'd recommend turning it on and then turning it off again. This will refresh the feature's function on your device.

We look forward to your response.

Jelu Cal, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Autocorrect in Win10... basically non-existent(?)

Okay. I have followred th instuctions to the ltter and am now trstngn to see if it wporked.

Sorry to say that it did not.

Charles.Haacker, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Turn On or Off Autocorrect for Hardware Keyboard in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Turn Off Autocorrect

2. Autocorrect feature is off but words are still being autocorrected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Autocorrect feature is off but words are still being autocorrected: As the title says, I'm having issues with Windows 11 autocorrecting words. This started happening suddenly about a month ago. I usually write in Spanish and whenever I write "momento" "moment", Windows corrects it to "memento" "memento/keepsake". It also happens with "a la"...
  3. How to turn of autocorrect in Mail on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to turn of autocorrect in Mail on Windows 10: I am using mail in windows 10, which mostly is working OK, but has a totally unusable autocorrect. I have my PC set up to English language, but I am writing most of my mails in Norwegian, which then Mail stubbornly tries to correct into English whenever possible. Even when...
  4. Windows 10 hardware keyboard Typing suggestions won't turn off

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 hardware keyboard Typing suggestions won't turn off: Hi there, i've basically got this issue.... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/how-do-i-turn-off-word-suggestion-when-typing-i/c030374e-72f7-40c0-b4f7-545e9e1b4109 so i tried out the typing suggestions feature in windows 10,...
  5. Hardware keyboard autocorrect feature doesn't work

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hardware keyboard autocorrect feature doesn't work: I have been having some trouble with this feature. I would like to have autocorrect on to quickly correct spelling mistakes without me having to click anything or having to retype the word. There seem to be more people having the same problem, and when someone responds to...
  6. Autocorrect won't turn off on Windows 10 tablet.

Autocorrect won't turn off on Windows 10 tablet.: Using a Fusion 5 tablet, installed with Windows 10 Home Version 1803 Build 17134.706, running Office 365 16.0.11425.20228. Want to disable autocorrect. Turned off via Windows settings, but it's still operating. How can I stop it? Just to be clear: I am using the onscreen...
  7. Turning off autocorrect in Windows 10 does not work anymore

Turning off autocorrect in Windows 10 does not work anymore: On my Microsoft Surface Pro with Windows 10, AND on my laptop with Windows 10, I have autocorrect turned off via the 'typing' settings.. But this doesn't seem to be working anymore. Microsoft Edge keeps autocorrecting, I've tried everything.. yes also restarting etc (i'm an...
  8. Turn On or Off SwiftKey Suggestions and Autocorrections in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off SwiftKey Suggestions and Autocorrections in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off SwiftKey Suggestions and Autocorrections in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off SwiftKey Suggestions and Autocorrections for Languages in Windows 10 Starting with Windows 10 build 17692, SwiftKey intelligence is now available. SwiftKey gives you...
  9. Turn On or Off Autocorrect for Touch Keyboard in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Autocorrect for Touch Keyboard in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Autocorrect for Touch Keyboard in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Autocorrect Misspelled Words for Touch Keyboard in Windows 10 You can use different keyboards with Windows to fit your needs. The most common is a physical, external hardware...
  10. Turn On or Off Text Suggestions for Hardware Keyboard in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Text Suggestions for Hardware Keyboard in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Text Suggestions for Hardware Keyboard in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Text Suggestions for Hardware Keyboard in Windows 10 Starting with Windows 10 build 17035, Microsoft is introducing the ability to see text suggestions while typing on a...