Windows 10: Turn On or Off Automatically Adjust Active Hours in Windows 10

Discus and support Turn On or Off Automatically Adjust Active Hours in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Turn On or Off Automatically Adjust Active Hours in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Automatically Adjust Active Hours in Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Plankton, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Plankton Win User

Turn On or Off Automatically Adjust Active Hours in Windows 10

How to: Turn On or Off Automatically Adjust Active Hours in Windows 10

How to Turn On or Off Automatically Adjust Active Hours in Windows 10

Windows Update keeps Windows 10 updated by downloading and installing the latest updates, drivers, and hotfixes released by Microsoft.

Starting with active hours. Active hours lets Windows know when you usually use this device. When a restart is necessary to finish installing an update, Windows won't automatically restart your device during active hours.

When a restart is scheduled, you can use a custom restart time to temporarily override active hours and schedule a custom time to finish installing the current update(s). When your computer restarts on the scheduled custom time, custom restart time will automatically be turned off, and Windows Update will only restart outside of active hours again. You can also manually turn off custom restart time at anytime if you change your mind.

Starting with Windows 10 build 18282, Windows can automatically adjust active hours for you based on your device activity.

This tutorial will show you how to turn on or off letting Windows automatically adjust active hours for you based on your daily usage to avoid rebooting your Windows 10 PC to finish installing a Windows Update.

*note The Intelligent Active Hours setting will affect all users on the computer.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Turn On or Off Automatically Adjust Active Hours for All Users in Settings
    • Option Two: Turn On or Off Automatically Adjust Active Hours for All Users using a REG file

OPTION ONE [/i] Turn On or Off Automatically Adjust Active Hours for All Users in Settings
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Update & Security icon.

2. Click/tap on Windows Update on the left side, and click/tap on Change active hours on the right side. (see screenshot below)

Turn On or Off Automatically Adjust Active Hours in Windows 10 [​IMG]

3. Turn on or off (default) Automatically adjust active hours for me based on my daily usage for what you want. (see screenshots below)

4. You can now close Settings if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Turn On or Off Automatically Adjust Active Hours for All Users using a REG file

*note You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to do this option.

The downloadable .reg files below will modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsUpdate\UX\Settings

SmartActiveHoursState DWORD

1 = On
    2 = Off

1. Do step 2 (on) or step 3 (off) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Turn On Automatically Adjust Active Hours for All Users
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_on_Auto_adjust_active_hours.reg

Download

3. To Turn Off Automatically Adjust Active Hours for All Users
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_off_Auto_adjust_active_hours.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Plankton, Mar 13, 2017
  2. DaveM121 Win User

turn off active hours

Hi FewerSteam9954

Open the Settings App

Go to Update and Security - Windows Update

Click Change Active hours

Turn on this setting, wait a few seconds and then turn it back off again

'Automatically adjust active hours for me based on my daily usage'

That will disable any Active Hours setting on your PC

DaveM121, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Shawn Brink, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Martmcd Win User

Active Hours in "settings"

Hi GingerSails

are you attempting to set active hours of more than 18 hours?

make sure that "automatically adjust active hours" is turned off

Martmcd, Oct 27, 2019
  5. AsRock Win User
    Windows 10 activation question

Mine finally did although it was about 6 or so hours after as it was saying failed to activate.

AsRock, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Disable Active hours?

Hello Daniel,

If you wish to add more hours or to have an option to turn off the Active Hours, then the feature is currently unavailable on Windows phone. It is best if you can send a suggestion to make the features available using the
    Feedback Hub app. To send a suggestion on your Windows phone, you can follow the steps provided below:

• Go to All Apps, search for the Feedback
      Hub app.
    • Open the menu icon at the top left side.
    • Select Feedback, then at the top right side, tap the
      add
      button (+).
    • Select Suggestionand fill up the box with the details needed.
    • Select the right category and then Submit.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask the community.

Michael Rey, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Turn On or Off Automatically Adjust Active Hours in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Turn Off Automatically

2. Windows 10 HDR Automatically Adjusting Brightness With No Option to Turn Off

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 HDR Automatically Adjusting Brightness With No Option to Turn Off: Hi everyone, I've just upgraded my PC to take advantage of HDR. I have an AMD 5700XT paired with a BenQ EX2780 external display, connected via HDMI 2.0 I have HDR enabled in Windows 10. I've noticed that when browsing the web, the screen's brightness will automatically...
  3. Windows 10 turns off and on automatically. Shows automatic repair screen but turns off...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 turns off and on automatically. Shows automatic repair screen but turns off...: My Windows 10 lenovo turns off and on automatically. First it shows 'preparing automatic repair' but turns off again before anything comes up. A few times Windows repair blue screen comes up but before I can pick any option it turns off again. At times i also manage to get...
  4. wifi turns off automatically

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    wifi turns off automatically: My laptop wifi automatically turns off whenever any system work is being done such as turning on the blue-tooth connection or installing a virtual OS box. Is it any fault of the software or should I check up on my laptop hardwares?...
  5. Turn off automatic photo color adjustment?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Turn off automatic photo color adjustment?: Does anyone know how to turn off the automatic photo color adjustment? When I browse photos, there is a delay and then the photo turns greenish. Does anyone else have this problem? I looked in the settings but cannot find this. Thanks...
  6. turn off active hours

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    turn off active hours: I prefer my OS to update when available. I don't want it waiting for non-active hours. Is there a preference for that? How do I turn it off or deactivate it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/turn-off-active-hours/741f473b-d5f6-47a6-9e8b-a450aae21a0c
  7. How to automatically adjust Active Hours in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to automatically adjust Active Hours in Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Windows 10 v1903 has introduced a lot of features around Windows 10 Updates. One such feature is to adjust Active Hours based on your computer activity automatically. This can be useful as it tells the OS when to install Windows [...] This post How to...
  8. turn off automatic updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    turn off automatic updates: automatic updates in my laptop makes my browsing speed very low. how can I turn off automatic windows update https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/turn-off-automatic-updates/74d6a85a-409f-4eee-b806-5abd72a9471a
  9. Turn off automatic Windows 10 Updates

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Turn off automatic Windows 10 Updates: Hello. To turn off automatic updates in Windows 10, we basically need to prevent the Windows Update service from running on startup. This can be done by going to Start Menu>type 'Services'>look for a service called 'Windows Update' and double click on it>if it's already...
  10. Turn On or Off Auto Adjust Video Based on Lighting in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Auto Adjust Video Based on Lighting in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Auto Adjust Video Based on Lighting in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Auto Adjust Video Based on Lighting in Windows 10 Starting with Windows 10 build 17704, there is a new viewing mode for you to try out, designed to improve the visibility of...