Windows 10: Turn On or Off Automatically Free Up Space in Windows 10

Discus and support Turn On or Off Automatically Free Up Space in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Turn On or Off Storage Sense Automatically Free Up Space in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Storage Sense to Automatically Free Up Space in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by omidsolo, Dec 4, 2017.

1. omidsolo Win User

Turn On or Off Automatically Free Up Space in Windows 10

How to: Turn On or Off Storage Sense Automatically Free Up Space in Windows 10

How to Turn On or Off Storage Sense to Automatically Free Up Space in Windows 10

Starting with Windows 10 build 15014, Microsoft has added a new Automatically free up space with Storage Sense option in Storage Settings to automatically get rid of the files you dont need to save you an extra step when low on disk space. Currently this is only supported for unused temporary files, files in your recycle bin over 30 days, and files in your Downloads folder that haven't changed for over 30 days.

Starting with Windows 10 build 17720, Storage Sense can now run when your device is low on storage space by default. Once activated, Storage Sense will intelligently run whenever your device runs low on storage space and clear temporary files that your device and applications no longer need. Storage Sense looks for and will remove the following types of files:
    • Temporary setup files
    • Old indexed content
    • System cache files
    • Internet cache files
    • Device Driver packages
    • System downloaded program files
    • Dated system log files
    • System error memory dump files
    • System error minidump files
    • Temporary system files
    • Dated Windows update temporary files
    • …and more.
    This tutorial will show you how to turn on or off Storage Sense to automatically free up space on the PC for your account in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Turn On or Off Storage Sense to "Automatically free up space" in Settings
    • Option Two: To Turn On or Off Storage Sense to "Automatically free up space" using a REG file

OPTION ONE [/i] To Turn On or Off Storage Sense to "Automatically free up space" in Settings
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the System icon.

2. Do step 3 (off) or step 4 (on) below for what you want to do.

3. To Turn Off Storage Sense to "Automatically free up space"
    A) Click/tap on Storage on the left side, turn off Storage sense on the right side, and go to step 5 below. (see screenshot below)

Turn On or Off Automatically Free Up Space in Windows 10 [​IMG]

4. To Turn On Storage Sense to "Automatically free up space"
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on Storage on the left side, turn on Storage sense on the right side, and click/tap on the Configure Storage Sense or run it now link. (see screenshot below)

B) Select Every day, Every week, Every month, or During low free disk space (default) in the Run Storage sense drop down list for what you want. (see screenshot below)

*tip How to Specify when to Run Storage Sense in Windows 10

C) Check (default) or uncheck Delete temporary files that my apps aren't using for what you want.

*tip How to Enable or Disable Storage Sense to Delete Temporary Files in Windows 10

D) Select Never, 1 day, 14 days, 30 days (default), or 60 days in the Delete files that have been in the recycle bin for over 30 days drop down list for what you want.

*tip How to Specify when Storage Sense Delete Files in Recycle Bin in Windows 10

E) Select Never (default), 1 day, 14 days, 30 days, or 60 days in the Delete files in my Downloads folder if they have been there for over drop down list for what you want.

*tip How to Specify when Storage Sense Delete Files in Downloads Folder in Windows 10

F) If you have OneDrive Content will become online-only if not opened for more than: drop down list for what you want.

*tip How to Specify when Storage Sense Automatically Make OneDrive Files On-Demand Online-only in Windows 10

G) If available, check or uncheck (default) Delete previous versions of Windows for what you want.

*Warning This setting will delete the Windows.old folder.

H) If you would like to manually Free up space now, click/tap on the Clean now button.

I) When finished, go to step 5 below.

5. You can now close Settings if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Turn On or Off Storage Sense to "Automatically free up space" using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will modify the DWORD values in the registry key below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\StorageSense\Parameters\StoragePolicy

(Storage Space)
    01 DWORD

0 = Off
    1 = On

(Run Storage sense)
    1024 DWORD

1 = On

2048 DWORD

0 = During low free disk space
    1 = Every day
    1e (hex) = Every month
    7 = Every week

1. Do step 2 (off) or step 3 (on) below for what you want to do.

2. To Turn Off Storage Sense
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_off_Storage_Sense_for_current_user.reg

Download

3. To Turn On Storage Sense
    *tip How to Specify when to Run Storage Sense in Windows 10
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below.

Turn_on_Storage_Sense_Every_Day_for_current_user.reg

Download

OR

Turn_on_Storage_Sense_Every_Week_for_current_user.reg

Download

OR

Turn_on_Storage_Sense_Every_Month_for_current_user.reg

Download

OR

Turn_on_Storage_Sense_During_low_free_disk_space_for_current_user.reg

*note This is the default setting.

Download

4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. If you like, you can delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

omidsolo, Dec 4, 2017

2. storage

For now though, try 'storage cleaner' from the app store, it basically fills your phone with blank data forcing windows to free up some space in other, and also try turning off the automatic picture upload to skydrive.

YourViolent Emotions, Dec 4, 2017
  3. Windows folder too big

Hi,

If your Windows-based computer is running low on storage, it will affect the performance of your device. To troubleshoot your issue, we recommend deleting files with storage sense. If you have storage sense turned on in Storage settings, Windows can automatically
    free up space by getting rid of files you don't need, like temporary files and stuff in your recycle bin. Or, you can delete them manually.

To do this:

• Click Start, then select Settings.
    • Select System, then Storage.

Do any of the following:

• To have Windows delete unnecessary files automatically, turn on Storage sense.
    • To delete unnecessary files manually, select Change how we free up space, then
      Clean now.
    • To specify which files you want storage sense to delete automatically, select
      Change how we free up space, then select or deselect the check boxes for options under
      Temporary Files and Free up space now.

For more troubleshooting steps, refer to this link on how to
    Free up drive space in Windows 10.

We look forward to your response.

Marvelos Reg, Dec 4, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

I'm not sure what they are for, but they don't get changed by these settings.

Brink, Dec 5, 2017
Thema:

1. Turn On or Off Automatically Free Up Space in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Turn Off Automatically

2. Not freeing up space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Not freeing up space: Hi . I have a problem I uninstalled two games 80 GB each and space on my disk didn't get freed up and I can't even locate the folders anywhere . I don't know if it's a Windows bug or something with my folders but I would like some help...
  3. Not freeing up space

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Not freeing up space: Hi . I have a problem I uninstalled two games 80 GB each and space on my disk didn't get freed up and I can't even locate the folders anywhere . I don't know if it's a Windows bug or something with my folders but I would like some help...
  4. freeing up space on windows

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    freeing up space on windows: one question. can i move my storage from pc to an external hard drive while being on hotspot that is beinjg provided by my android device??????? i am trying to free up space off my pc so windows can install a much needed update. many thanks in advance...
  5. free up space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    free up space: I am constantly deleting files so that my drive can be in the blue not red with space. I am not sure what to remove to get it in the blue again. This happens a lot to me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/free-up-space/a15e3ad0-46ff-40cc-bd11-ce678cf07aac
  6. free up space

free up space: HOw do I transfer files from C drive to D drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/free-up-space/3387af44-6d0c-46b2-af12-b325a86bdb5f
  7. Turn off free space check when copying?

Turn off free space check when copying?: Hi, is there any way to stop Windows checking the amount of free space on the destination when copying files? I have an external drive holding a few terabytes of files and folders copied from the attached server. On a weekly basis I would like to update these files by...
  8. Freeing up space

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Freeing up space: Temporary files won't purge. Why? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/freeing-up-space/307c1381-b077-493c-9148-41decb9e54cc
  9. free up space

free up space: how do I free up space https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/free-up-space/0e7474ee-5360-483a-9e9e-7342c9c5f530"
  10. Free up space automatically

Free up space automatically: Storage space running low on your PC? Here's how to free up space automatically. For more info click here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/tips/home/manage-updates#storagesense [ATTACH]...