Windows 10: Turn On or Off Automatically Show Touch Keyboard in Windows 10

Discus and support Turn On or Off Automatically Show Touch Keyboard in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Turn On or Off Automatically Show Touch Keyboard in Windows 10 Turn On or Off Automatically Show Touch Keyboard when No Keyboard Attached in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Turn On or Off Automatically Show Touch Keyboard in Windows 10

How to: Turn On or Off Automatically Show Touch Keyboard in Windows 10

Turn On or Off Automatically Show Touch Keyboard when No Keyboard Attached in Windows 10

You can use different keyboards with Windows to fit your needs. The most common is a physical, external keyboard that you plug into your PC. Windows 10 includes a touch keyboard for PCs.

If youre using a tablet, or if your PC is in tablet mode, the touch keyboard will automatically open when you need it. Just tap where youd like to enter text and the keyboard will pop up, or press the touch keyboard button on the taskbar.

If you have a touch screen, then this tutorial will show you how to turn on or off automatically showing the touch keyboard when not in tablet mode and there's no keyboard attached for your account in Windows 10.

This tutorial will not work for you if you do not have a touch screen.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Turn On or Off Show Touch Keyboard in Desktop Mode when No Keyboard Attached in Settings
    • Option Two: Turn On or Off Show Touch Keyboard in Desktop Mode when No Keyboard Attached using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Touch Keyboard

Turn On or Off Automatically Show Touch Keyboard in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Turn On or Off Show Touch Keyboard in Desktop Mode when No Keyboard Attached in Settings
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on Devices.

2. Click/tap on Typing on the left side, and turn On or Off (default) Show the touch keyboard when not in tablet mode and there's no keyboard attached under Touch keyboard on the right side for what you want. (see screenshot below)

3. You can now close Settings if you like.

Turn On or Off Automatically Show Touch Keyboard in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION TWO [/i] Turn On or Off Show Touch Keyboard in Desktop Mode when No Keyboard Attached using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\TabletTip\1.7

EnableDesktopModeAutoInvoke DWORD

0 = Off
    1 = On

1. Do step 2 (on) or step 3 (off) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Turn On Show Touch Keyboard in Desktop Mode when No Keyboard Attached
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_ON_show_touch_keyboard_when_no_keyboard_attached_in_desktop_mode.reg

Download

3. To Turn Off Show Touch Keyboard in Desktop Mode when No Keyboard Attached
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_OFF_show_touch_keyboard_when_no_keyboard_attached_in_desktop_mode.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. If you like, you can now delete the downloaded .reg file.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Aug 15, 2016
  2. EdTittel Win User
    EdTittel, Oct 26, 2019
  3. omidsolo Win User
    Disable Show touch keyboard button

Actually it's not covered in the mentioned thread at all.
    It's sort of covered in another thread below but in some other way:

Hide or Show Touch Keyboard Button on Taskbar in Windows 10 | Windows 10 Tutorials

This one Check or Uncheck the "Show Touch Keyboard Button" but I want to disable (gray out) this button so impossible to click it or change it.
    Please advise.
    Cheers.

omidsolo, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Ruz San Win User

Add the Touch Keyboard Icon to the Action Center

Hi Doug,

Adding the touch keyboard on the items in Action Center is currently not available in Windows 10. However, you can change the settings to automatically show the touch keyboard when you use the device in tablet mode. If you'd like to do this, you can
    follow these steps:

• Click on Start.
    • Open Settings.
    • Select Devices.
    • Go to Typing.
    • Under Touch keyboard settings, switch on Automatically show the touch keyboard in windowed apps when there’s no keyboard attached to your device.

If you want to provide a feedback or suggestion to Microsoft to have the touch keyboard available in Action Center, you can post it
    here.

Let us know if the suggestion above works for you.

Keep us posted.

Ruz San, Oct 26, 2019
  5. BradenTerpstra, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Windows 10 touch keyboard has stopped appearing

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft community.

A quick question before we proceed:

What is the KB number of the update you have installed?

To know the KB numbers of the failing updates, follow the below steps:

• In the search box, type Update, and then, in the list of results, click Windows Update.
      • In the left pane, click View update history.

I suggest you to follow the methods below and check if it helps:

Method 1:

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below to enable touch keyboard when there is no keyboard attached to the device.

• Press the Windows key
      or click on Start icon.

• Click on Settings.

• Click on Devices.
    • Click on Typing.
    • Scroll down and toggle on: Automatically show the touch keyboard in windowed apps when there's no keyboard attached
      to your device.

Method 2:

Follow the below steps and check if it helps.

1. Right click on the Task bar and select Show Touch Keyboard Button.

2. Open the Keyboard and close it (just to check if it’s working).

2. Next click on Action center and select Tablet Mode.

3. Once you are in Tablet mode, again Right click on the Task bar and select Show Touch Keyboard Button.

5. Open the Key board and check if it’s working in Tablet mode. Next check if it’s available on the task bar in both desktop and tablet mode.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Anju Thekkethil, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Turn On or Off Automatically Show Touch Keyboard in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Turn Off Automatically

2. How to automatically show touch keyboard even if there's a keyboard input

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to automatically show touch keyboard even if there's a keyboard input: We are developing a web application that runs on Windows 10 Mozilla Firefox browser that uses a QR Code Scanner and a Thermal printer. I want to bypass the highlighted settings below "show touch keyboard when there's no keyboard attached". Windows detecting our QR Code...
  3. How to automatically show touch keyboard even if there's a keyboard input

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to automatically show touch keyboard even if there's a keyboard input: We are developing a web application that runs on Windows 10 Mozilla Firefox browser that uses a QR Code Scanner and a Thermal printer. I want to bypass the highlighted settings below "show touch keyboard when there's no keyboard attached". Windows detecting our QR Code...
  4. Windows 10 turns off and on automatically. Shows automatic repair screen but turns off...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 turns off and on automatically. Shows automatic repair screen but turns off...: My Windows 10 lenovo turns off and on automatically. First it shows 'preparing automatic repair' but turns off again before anything comes up. A few times Windows repair blue screen comes up but before I can pick any option it turns off again. At times i also manage to get...
  5. How do I turn off the touch keyboard?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I turn off the touch keyboard?: How do I turn off the touch keyboard? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_desk/how-do-i-turn-off-the-touch-keyboard/710d98a6-406c-42e9-b68c-4c7550b0a0d8
  6. Turn off touch keyboard BUT have a keyboard available on startup

in Windows 10 Support
    Turn off touch keyboard BUT have a keyboard available on startup: Hi, I have the problem that anytime I touch the screen with my pen (which is what I use instead of a mouse, being an illustrator) the touch keyboard pops up, even though I have a (bluetooth) keyboard attached. I'd like to get rid of this behavior, HOWEVER, it's mandatory...
  7. Turn On or Off Autocorrect for Touch Keyboard in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Autocorrect for Touch Keyboard in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Autocorrect for Touch Keyboard in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Autocorrect Misspelled Words for Touch Keyboard in Windows 10 You can use different keyboards with Windows to fit your needs. The most common is a physical, external hardware...
  8. Turn On or Off Text Suggestions for Touch Keyboard in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Text Suggestions for Touch Keyboard in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Text Suggestions for Touch Keyboard in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Text Suggestions for Touch Keyboard in Windows 10 You can use different keyboards with Windows to fit your needs. The most common is a physical, external hardware keyboard...
  9. Turn On or Off Touch Keyboard Type Sounds in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Touch Keyboard Type Sounds in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Touch Keyboard Type Sounds in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Touch Keyboard Type Sounds in Windows 10 You can use different keyboards with Windows to fit your needs. The most common is a physical, external keyboard that you plug into your PC....
  10. Turn On or Off Touch Keyboard Taskbar Avoidance in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Touch Keyboard Taskbar Avoidance in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Touch Keyboard Taskbar Avoidance in Windows 10 [img] Information You can use different keyboards with Windows to fit your needs. The most common is a physical, external keyboard that you plug into your PC. Windows 10 includes a touch keyboard for...