Windows 10: Turn On or Off Background Apps in Windows 10

Discus and support Turn On or Off Background Apps in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; Thanks for the info Any idea if there is a limit to how many apps can do this? In 8 (unless I am misreading it) you can only get 7 apps to run like... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by paulsalter, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Turn On or Off Background Apps in Windows 10

Thanks for the info

Any idea if there is a limit to how many apps can do this?
    In 8 (unless I am misreading it) you can only get 7 apps to run like this in the background

:)

paulsalter, Jun 19, 2015
  2. DMGJM Win User

Windows 10 Background App running called "SURFACE"

I am in Windows 10 - Settings - Privacy - Background Apps

I am turning off background apps that are not needed.

There is an app listed as "Surface".

What is this "Surface" background app and what will happen if I turn it off?

Thank you.

DMGJM, Jun 19, 2015
  3. DMGJM Win User
    Windows 10 Background App running called "SURFACE"

I am in Windows 10 - Settings - Privacy - Background Apps

I am turning off background apps that are not needed.

There is an app listed as "Surface".

What is this "Surface" background app and what will happen if I turn it off?

Thank you.

DMGJM, Jun 19, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Turn On or Off Background Apps in Windows 10

Hey Paul,

There's no exact details on how many yet, but I would assume that it would depend on your system specs and if the installed app supports running in the background or not. If all both check out, then Windows 10 would at least automatically have them listed here.

Brink, Jun 19, 2015
  5. Thanks for info, that makes sense

The limit in 8 did seem odd to me

paulsalter, Jun 19, 2015
  6. Edward Win User
    Some apps are still appearing in task manager even off but they don't appear when I disable superfetch. I want superfetch on but what else can I do so they don't appear in task manager?

Edward, Apr 26, 2016
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Edward, *Smile

Which apps are still running in the background even though turned off for this?

If you haven't already, see if restarting the computer after turning them off may help.

If you have Fast Startup turned on, then you might see if temporarily turning it off, restarting the computer, then turning fast startup back on may help.

Brink, Apr 26, 2016
  8. Edward Win User

Hi Thanks for the reply. The apps that are showing are settings, weather, photos, groove and movies & TV apps. but they don't appear immediately after startup. I'll try the fast startup option *Smile

Edward, Apr 26, 2016
  9. Edward Win User
    Hi Brink, *Smile They appeared again and I noticed they usually appear when the display is turned off and than on but the good thing is that when they are appearing in task manager in RAM they open faster. Another thing why is Movies and TV app is not on the list which can be turned on or off?

Edward, Apr 26, 2016
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Since those are default system apps, I'm betting they are being loaded and used by something. I'm not sure why the Movies & TV app isn't listed. It's not on my system either.

Brink, Apr 26, 2016
  11. The latest screen shot of background apps as of Fast Ring 14976:

Turn On or Off Background Apps in Windows 10 [​IMG]

John Pombrio, Oct 16, 2016
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Thank you John. Tutorial updated. *Smile

Brink, Oct 16, 2016
  13. Turn On or Off Background Apps in Windows 10

Be aware that until Microsoft updates the normal users to the latest fast ring build, the oh so nice "all apps on/off" button is missing. You have to turn them off one. at. a. time.

John Pombrio, Oct 18, 2016
  14. chok Win User
    Thanks, but anyone knows how to turn it OFF or ON using a .cmd file?

15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello @chok, *Smile

Here are the commands to turn on/off background apps:

(On)
    Reg Add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\BackgroundAccessApplications /v GlobalUserDisabled /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

(Off)
    Reg Add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\BackgroundAccessApplications /v GlobalUserDisabled /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

Brink, Sep 1, 2017
Thema:

1. Turn On or Off Background Apps in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Turn Off Background

2. WIN 10 background apps not staying off

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    WIN 10 background apps not staying off: I go to the Security>Background apps page and there is an on/off switch to "let apps run in background". I turn the switch to OFF. When I reboot, the switch is ON. How do I keep it off?...
  3. How to turn off Background apps in windows 10 (1803) for good?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to turn off Background apps in windows 10 (1803) for good?: Hi guys, I am using windows 10 (64 bit & 1803 version). The problem is that, i try to turn off Background apps then the next day or after i restart my pc, it automatically turns on again! Any solution for this? Thanks, Long 110243
  4. appXSCV has high CPU usage. Turn off in Privacy>Background Apps

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    appXSCV has high CPU usage. Turn off in Privacy>Background Apps: This issue has been pointed out but mixed inside a bunch of posts. In the latest fast ring build 19476, it is worse and does not stop on its own. The major symptom is that the screen cursor on the desktop will flash a blue ring every second or two. Also the CPU usage is up...
  5. Turn On or Off App Launch Tracking in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off App Launch Tracking in Windows 10: Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately I have the "Let Windows track app launches to improve Start and search results" option greyed out (..."some settings hidden/managed by your organizaition"). Registry trick doesn't help, Start_TrackProgs is already set to 1. I'd really...
  6. Turn On or Off Tabs in apps (Sets) in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Tabs in apps (Sets) in Windows 10: I merged the reg file but it doesn't appear to have worked. How do I get tabs? 102362
  7. Turn On or Off Fix Scaling for Apps that are Blurry in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Fix Scaling for Apps that are Blurry in Windows 10: Please correct from NavPaneShowAllCloudStates toEnablePerProcessSystemDPI. 100793
  8. Turn On or Off App Suggestions on Start in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off App Suggestions on Start in Windows 10: Tutorial has been updated to add OPTION THREE to turn on or off Start suggestions using a REG file. *Smile 24117
  9. Turn On or Off Automatic Updates for Apps in Windows 10 Store

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Automatic Updates for Apps in Windows 10 Store: Many thanks Shawn*Smile 6664
  10. Turn On or Off Focused Inbox in Windows 10 Mail app

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Focused Inbox in Windows 10 Mail app: Update: Announcing updates to Windows 10 Mail & Calendar apps 76639