Windows 10: Turn On or Off Blur for Start Menu and Taskbar in Windows 10

Discus and support Turn On or Off Blur for Start Menu and Taskbar in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Turn On or Off Blur for Start Menu and Taskbar in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Start Menu and Taskbar Blur in Windows 10 [img]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by swarfega, Apr 30, 2015.

1. swarfega Win User

Turn On or Off Blur for Start Menu and Taskbar in Windows 10

How to: Turn On or Off Blur for Start Menu and Taskbar in Windows 10

How to Turn On or Off Start Menu and Taskbar Blur in Windows 10

Turn On or Off Blur for Start Menu and Taskbar in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Warning This tutorial no longer works starting with Windows 10 build 10147 on June 18th 2015.

Information In Windows 10, you can turn on or off the blur behind the Start menu and taskbar when you have transparency turned on.

This tutorial will show you how to turn on or off the bur behind the Start menu and taskbar for your user account in Windows 10.

Note If you are using a high contrast theme, then transparency and blur will be disabled.

If you have transparency turned on, then you will be able to turn on or off the blur effect behind the Start menu and taskbar.

If you have color with blur disabled.

EXAMPLE: Blur behind Start menu and Taskbar On and Off

(Blur on)

(Blur off)

Here's How:

Note The .bat files below are for changing the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Themes\Personalize

EnableBlurBehind DWORD

0 = Turn off
    1 = Turn on

1. Do step 2 or step 3 below for what you would like to do.

2. To Turn Off Start Menu and Taskbar Blur
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the BAT file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_Off_Start_Menu_and_Taskbar_Blur.bat

Download

3. To Turn On Start Menu and Taskbar Blur
    NOTE: This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the BAT file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_On_Start_Menu_and_Taskbar_Blur.bat

Download
    4. Save the .bat file to your desktop, and run the .bat file.

5. If prompted, click/tap on Run to approve.
    NOTE: If you like, you can unblock the .bat file to stop getting the Run prompt.

6. You will now notice your screen flicker and a command prompt quickly open and close as explorer is restarted to apply the registry changes.

7. When finished, you can delete the downloaded .bat file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

swarfega, Apr 30, 2015

2. Windows 10: Unable to turn off start menu blur behind.

I am unable to turn off the start menu blur behind in Windows 10 Pro. The only way that I know how to do this is through the following registry key:

H_KEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Themes\Personalize

Then set the DWord value EnableBlurBehind to 0.

Beyond that, what else is there? I want to keep the transparency though.

Maelstorm.1973, Apr 30, 2015
  3. Riel Alc Win User
    Windows 10: Unable to turn off start menu blur behind.

Hi,

Currently, the stated registry key is the only way to enable and disable Blur Behind Menu.

You may visit our Microsoft Feedback Hub to send your valuable feedback to us.

Thank you.

Riel Alc, Apr 30, 2015
  4. Jackalito Win User

Thanks Brink for the trick. It's been working like a charm for the latest betas.
    However, I cannot make it work in 10147 in order to disable the blur transparency effect. I modify the key in the Windows registry and, even after restarting, it doesn't change and it keeps the blurred transparency, which I don't like.

I've searched in the registry for another 'EnableBlurBehind' chain and nothing is found apart from the one referred in this thread.
    Anyone else seeing this? Any suggestions?
    Thanks *Smile

Jackalito, Jun 19, 2015
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Jackalito,

I'm having the same issue in build 10147. It looks like this will no longer work in it. *Sad

I'll test again in the next official build release to see if it may work in it.

Brink, Jun 19, 2015
  6. Jackalito Win User
    Thanks, Brink.

I really hope they allow us to change it in future builds or, at least, in the RTM/GA one, whether from Settings or modifying the Registry.
    I'll also try it again with the next official build for Insiders *Wink

Cheers!

Jackalito, Jun 19, 2015
  7. Edwin New Member
    Hopefully it's a small change, much like enabling the 'Dark' theme: it required changing the DWORD from 'SystemUsesLightTheme' to 'AppsUseLightTheme'.
    Still working on it! *Wink

Edwin, Jun 19, 2015
  8. Jackalito Win User

Thanks, Edwin

Jackalito, Jun 19, 2015
  9. Jackalito Win User
    Has anyone tried if we can get transparency without blur in build 10158?
    Thanks and sorry for the double post!

Jackalito, Jun 29, 2015
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Sorry to say that this tutorial no longer works in build 10158. *Sad

I'm removing this tutorial now.

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Turn On or Off Blur for Start Menu and Taskbar in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Turn Off Blur

2. How to turn Accent Color On or Off for Start Menu and Taskbar in Windows 11

in Windows 10 News
    How to turn Accent Color On or Off for Start Menu and Taskbar in Windows 11: [ATTACH]Windows 11 comes with different attractive themes. You can apply your favorite theme via the Settings app. When you apply a theme, Windows automatically applies color to the Taskbar and the Start menu as per the selected theme. But if you want, you can change the...
  3. Turning off start menu internet search

in Windows 10 Support
    Turning off start menu internet search: I finally got around to backing up my original dell image, and installing a clean Windows Pro image from Microsoft instead (been meaning to do it for a while). Dell didn't even originally give me the correct language version of Windows for my laptop, a minor annoyance but it...
  4. Start menu blur error on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start menu blur error on Windows 10: I cannot activate transparency effects now blur on the start menu or apps even while getting it on the taskbar. I already did everything and the most weird thing is that when I go the personalize folder the dword "EnableBlurBehind" is missing. I tried creating it but didn't...
  5. taskbar and start menu background turned white

taskbar and start menu background turned white: Hi, my taskbar and start menu background have both turned white since last update earlier in this month. I have tried right click on desktop, personalize, colors... but it doesn't give me the option to tick on the start, taskbar and action center box. Any ideas on how to get...
  6. Wanted to disable Acrylic Blur from start menu and taskbar

Wanted to disable Acrylic Blur from start menu and taskbar: Hi, I am using 1903 version of windows 10 just wanted to remove acrylic blur from start menu and task bar to get a clear transparency effect . Thanks....
  7. Turn off tiles in Start Menu

Turn off tiles in Start Menu: I saw how to disable the apps in the Start Menu. Can the tiles be disabled? I have never used them and never will. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/turn-off-tiles-in-start-menu/deb68d78-20e3-4c60-a11f-33eb505ec97c
  8. Windows 10 Start Menu Won't Turn Off

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Windows 10 Start Menu Won't Turn Off: Hi! I have quick question. For the past two or three days the full screen start menu on my laptop hasn't been able to be turned off. I went to the settings and turned it off, but it still won't turn off. I took off all of my shortcuts so I thought that may have been the...
  9. Turn On or Off Open Start Menu Submenus in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Open Start Menu Submenus in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Open Start Menu Submenus in Windows 10 Turn On or Off Start Menu AutoCascade of Submenus in Windows 10 [img] Warning This tutorial no longer works starting with Windows 10 build 10041 released on March 18th 2015. [img] Information...
  10. Turn On or Off Full Screen Start Menu in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Full Screen Start Menu in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Full Screen Start Menu in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Use Start Full Screen in Windows 10 In Windows 10, users can change the size of Start for their account to be a Start menu or full screen Start. Starting with full screen Start. When...