Windows 10: Turn On or Off Clear Browsing Data on Exit of Microsoft Edge

Discus and support Turn On or Off Clear Browsing Data on Exit of Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Turn On or Off Clear Browsing Data on Exit of Microsoft Edge How to Turn On or Off Clear Browsing Data on Exit of Microsoft Edge in Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Geoff Daniell, Feb 24, 2016.

1. Turn On or Off Clear Browsing Data on Exit of Microsoft Edge

How to: Turn On or Off Clear Browsing Data on Exit of Microsoft Edge

How to Turn On or Off Clear Browsing Data on Exit of Microsoft Edge in Windows 10

Microsoft Edge is a new web browser that is available across the Windows 10 device family. It is designed for Windows 10 to be faster, safer, and compatible with the modern Web.

Your browsing data is the information that Microsoft Edge remembers and stores on a PC as your browse the web. This includes info you've entered into forms, passwords, and sites you've visited, and it helps make your browsing experience better. If you're using a shared or public PC, you might not want Microsoft Edge to remember your browsing data.

Starting in Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14271, you can now turn on or off to always clear browsing data when you close Microsoft Edge.

This tutorial will show you how to turn on or off to automatically clear browsing data when closing Microsoft Edge for your account or all users in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Turn On or Off Clear Browsing Data on Exit for Current User in Microsoft Edge Settings
    • Option Two: To Turn On or Off Clear Browsing Data on Exit for Current User using a REG file
    • Option Three: Enable or Disable Clear Browsing Data on Exit for All Users in Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Four: Enable or Disable Clear Browsing Data on Exit for All Users using a REG file

OPTION ONE [/i] To Turn On or Off Clear Browsing Data on Exit for Current User in Microsoft Edge Settings
    1. Open the Microsoft Edge app.

2. Click/tap on the Settings and more (Alt+X) button at the top right corner, and click/tap on Settings. (see screenshot below)

Turn On or Off Clear Browsing Data on Exit of Microsoft Edge [​IMG]

3. Click/tap on Privacy & security on the left side, and click/tap on the Choose what to clear button under Clear browsing data on the right side. (see screenshot below)

4. Turn on or off (default) Always clear this when I close the browser for what you want to do. (see screenshot below)

*note If turned on, check the items you want to be cleared on exit, and uncheck the items you don't want cleared.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Turn On or Off Clear Browsing Data on Exit for Current User using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will modify the DWORD in the registry key below.

Code:
    ClearBrowsingHistoryOnExit DWORD

0 = Off
    1 = On

1. Do step 2 (on) or step 3 (off) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Turn On Clear Browsing Data On Exit of Microsoft Edge
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_On_Microsoft_Edge_ClearBrowsingHistoryOnExit.reg

Download
    3. To Turn Off Clear Browsing Data On Exit of Microsoft Edge
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_Off_Microsoft_Edge_ClearBrowsingHistoryOnExit.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. If you like, you can delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

OPTION THREE [/i] Enable or Disable Clear Browsing Data on Exit for All Users in Local Group Policy Editor

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to do this option.

*note If enable or disabled, this option will override and gray out Option One and Option Two.

*note The Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option FOUR below.

1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2. In the left pane of Local Group Policy Editor, navigate to the location below. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Microsoft Edge

3. In the right pane of Microsoft Edge in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the Allow clearing browsing data on exit policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (enable), step 6 (disable), or step 7 (default) below for what you want.

5. To Always Enable Clear Browsing Data on Exit for All Users
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 8 below. (see screenshot below)

6. To Always Disable Clear Browsing Data on Exit for All Users
    A) Select (dot) Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 8 below. (see screenshot below)

7. Not Configure (default) Clear Browsing Data on Exit for All Users
    A) Select (dot) Not Configured, click/tap on OK, and go to step 8 below. (see screenshot below)

8. You can close the Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

9. If Microsoft Edge is currently open, then close and reopen the browser to apply.

OPTION FOUR [/i] Enable or Disable Clear Browsing Data on Exit for All Users using a REG file

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to do this option.

*note If enabled or disabled, this option will override and gray out Option One and Option Two.

*note The downloadable .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\MicrosoftEdge\Privacy

ClearBrowsingHistoryOnExit DWORD

delete = Not Configured (default)
    0 = Disable
    1 = Enable

1. Do step 2 (enable), step 3 (disable), or step 4 (default) below for what you want.

2. To Always Enable Clear Browsing Data on Exit for All Users
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 5 below.

Always_enable_ClearBrowsingHistoryOnExit_of_Microsoft_Edge.reg

Download

3. To Always Disable Clear Browsing Data on Exit for All Users
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 5 below.

Always_disable_ClearBrowsingHistoryOnExit_of_Microsoft_Edge.reg

Download

4. Not Configure (default) Clear Browsing Data on Exit for All Users

Default_not_configured_ClearBrowsingHistoryOnExit_of_Microsoft_Edge.reg

Download
    5. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

6. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

7. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

8. If Microsoft Edge is currently open, then close and reopen the browser to apply.

9. If you like, you can now delete the downloaded .reg file.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Geoff Daniell, Feb 24, 2016

2. videos auto playing in "Edge"

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I understand your inconvenience. We will assist you with it.

I suggest you to clear the cache and cookies from Microsoft Edge and check.

Follow the steps to clear the cache and cookies from Microsoft Edge.

• Open Microsoft Edge.
    • Go to Settings.
    • Under Clear browsing data, click on Choose what to clear.
    • Select the options and click on Clear button.

If the issue still persist, you may also turn off the Adobe Flash player, which is integrated in Microsoft Edge.

• Open Microsoft Edge.
    • Go to Settings.
    • Click on view advance settings option.
    • Turn off use Adobe Flash player.

Hope it helps. Do let us know if your issue is resolved. For any further information, feel free to contact us.

Thank you.

Syed Md Bilal, Feb 24, 2016
  3. Delete browsing history on Windows 10

Hello,

You may follow the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1: To delete the browsing history in Edge, please follow the below procedure.

In Microsoft Edge, go to More > Settings, and under Clear browsing data, select Choose what to clear, and then select the check box (es) for the information you want to clear.

Disclaimer: When you clear browsing data, all the Auto fill data, Browsing history, User credentials, Bookmarks, etc., related to Microsoft Edge will be lost.

Method 2: To delete the browsing history in Internet Explorer, Please follow the below steps:

1. In Internet Explorer for the desktop, click the Tools button, point to Safety, and then click Delete browsing history.

2. Select the types of data or files you want to remove from your PC, and then tap or click Delete.

Method 3: To delete the browsing history on exit in Internet Explorer, Please follow the below steps:

1. In Internet Explorer for the desktop, click the Tools button, select Internet Options.

2. In the Browsing History section of the General tab, Place a tick mark for delete browsing history on exit.

If you select this option, Every time you exit Internet Explorer you browser history gets deleted.

Hope the information helps. Do reply if you need further assistance, we will be happy to help you.

Thank You.

Deepak Kodi, Feb 24, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Turn On or Off Clear Browsing Data on Exit of Microsoft Edge

Hello Geoff, *Smile

Yep, just the on/off button to have it automatically clear your browsing data on exit instead of having to manually clear it when you like.

Brink, Feb 24, 2016
  5. Jake1 Win User
    Hello Shawn,

I tried your registry hack for Edge and it did not work. I had to add the DWORD ClearBrowsingHistoryOnExit because it did not exist. In fact, ever since a big Windows 10 update that occurred early 2016; InPrivate now stores the history on exit and it use to work fine before the update.

I have the recent Windows 10 update Version 1511 (OS Build 10586.164). The Microsoft Edge 25.10856.0.0, Microsoft EdgeHTML 13.10586.

Jake1, Mar 26, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Jake1, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

If the .reg file didn't add the key, then it sounds like you may not have fully approved the merge for it to do so.

Brink, Mar 26, 2016
  7. Jake1 Win User
    I am not in the "Windows Insider Program", which obviously you are, with build 14295. I do not have the "Always clear this when I close the browser" button at the bottom of "Clear browsing data" in my build.

I'm simply receiving the normal, timely, slow ring updates from Microsoft; presently Build 10586.164. That's probably the issue...

Jake1, Mar 26, 2016
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Yep, that would be why then. You'll have to have at least build 14271 for this to work.

Brink, Mar 26, 2016
  9. Jake1 Win User
    That's what I thought but was hoping for the miracle! *Smile

Great article!!!

Thank you, Jake

Jake1, Mar 26, 2016
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    It's always fun to try though. *Smile

Brink, Mar 26, 2016
  11. technerd Win User
    Hi, I have always done all the above to clear my browsing history but lately it appears below the google address bar when I try to find a new site and I don't know why. Any suggestions would be helpful.

technerd, Feb 1, 2018
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello technerd, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

If the Google address bar is an installed extension, then you may need to check its settings to see if it has a clear history option.

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Turn On or Off Clear Browsing Data on Exit of Microsoft Edge - Similar Threads - Turn Off Clear

2. How to automatically clear Chrome browsing data on exit

in Windows 10 News
    How to automatically clear Chrome browsing data on exit: [ATTACH]If you want to automatically clear Chrome browsing data on exit, here is how you can do that. You can automatically clear Chrome browsing data on exit via Chrome’s Settings panel, or you can set things up with the help of the Local Group Policy Editor and the Registry...
  3. Edge keeps clearing "Do not clear" cookie list on exit

in Browsers and Email
    Edge keeps clearing "Do not clear" cookie list on exit: I have edge chrome Versie 87.0.664.60 (Officile build) (64-bits) but every time I close the browser edge clear my "do not clear list". Is there a solution? 170480
  4. How to clear browsing data of Edge Legacy using Edge Chromium

in Windows 10 News
    How to clear browsing data of Edge Legacy using Edge Chromium: [ATTACH]The latest Chromium-based Microsoft Edge web browser has replaced your classic legacy Edge browser. The new Edge Chromium brings you the option to clear the […] This article How to clear browsing data of Edge Legacy using Edge Chromium first appeared on...
  5. Problems clearing browsing data - Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Problems clearing browsing data - Windows 10: [ATTACH] You'll see from the above snip that I've set this to "Always clear this when I close the browser" but it never does. I've lived with it until now but it's just caused me some problems. Am I missing something? What can I do to make it work please? If this is...
  6. Browsing Data Slow to Clear in Edge.

in Browsers and Email
    Browsing Data Slow to Clear in Edge.: I have updated to Win V. 1903. Since the update it takes ages for Browsing Data to clear in Edge. Prior to the update it used to clear almost as soon as I clicked the button. Any thoughts please? 133872
  7. IE11 freezes the PC 5 seconds after exit and clearing browsing data

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    IE11 freezes the PC 5 seconds after exit and clearing browsing data: Problem : IE11 freezes the PC 5 seconds after exit and clearing browsing data. Situation : All drivers and BIOS updated. Memory checked with Windows memory test and perfectly OK. Best Performance : Windows virtual memory switched off. Brief Description : Everything...
  8. Edge displays blank screen & can't delete clear browsing data

in Browsers and Email
    Edge displays blank screen & can't delete clear browsing data: When I open Edge it opens to a blank start page & usually below I see weather time etc & customize & now I cant see anything. I went to Microsoft site & did everything it says. I also noticed browser slow also & not displaying many things on sites. I did a Internet Explorer...
  9. Turn On or Off Save Data in Application Guard for Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Save Data in Application Guard for Microsoft Edge: How to: Turn On or Off Save Data in Application Guard for Microsoft Edge How to Turn On or Off Save Data in Application Guard for Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 Microsoft Edge is a new web browser that is available across the Windows 10 device family. It is designed for...
  10. Clear Browsing Data in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Clear Browsing Data in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10: How to: Clear Browsing Data in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 How to Clear your Browsing Data in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 Microsoft Edge is a new web browser added in Windows 10, and will be available across the Windows 10 device family. It is fast, compatible, and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. turn off clear browsing date