Windows 10: Turn On or Off Color Filters to the Screen in Windows 10

Discus and support Turn On or Off Color Filters to the Screen in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Turn On or Off Color Filters to the Screen in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Color Filters to the Screen in Windows 10 Starting with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by nt62, Oct 21, 2016.

1. nt62 Win User

Turn On or Off Color Filters to the Screen in Windows 10

How to: Turn On or Off Color Filters to the Screen in Windows 10

How to Turn On or Off Color Filters to the Screen in Windows 10

Starting with Windows 10 build 16215, Windows 10 now includes color filters at the system level, including filters designed to make it easier for people with color blindness to differentiate between colors like red and green and to make it easier for people with light sensitivity to create and consume content.

Starting with Windows 10 build 17004, Microsoft introduced a new color wheel to Color & High Contrast Settings to help you get a feel for the effect of each of the different available color filters.

This tutorial will show you how to turn on and change or turn off applying color filters to the screen for your account in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Turn On and Off Color Filters using Keyboard Shortcut
    • Option Two: To Turn On and Off Color Filters in Settings
    • Option Three: To Turn On and Off Color Filters using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Greyscale color filter

Turn On or Off Color Filters to the Screen in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] To Turn On and Off Color Filters using Keyboard Shortcut
    1. Press the Option Two below.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Turn On and Off Color Filters in Settings
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Ease of Access icon.

2. Do step 3 (on and change) or step 4 (off) below for what you want to do.

3. Turn On and Change Color Filters
    A) Click/tap on Color filters on the left side, and turn on Turn on color filters on the right side. (see screenshot below)

B) Choose a color filter OR colorblindness filter you want, and go to step 5 below.

4. Turn Off Color Filters
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on Color filters on the left side, turn off Turn on color filters on the right side, and go to step 5 below. (see screenshot below)

5. You can now close Settings if you like.

OPTION THREE [/i] To Turn On and Off Color Filters using a REG file

*note The .reg files below will modify the DWORD and string values in the registry keys below.

*Arrow HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\ColorFiltering

Active DWORD

0 = On
    1 = Off

*Arrow HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Accessibility

Configuration string value

<blank> = Off
    colorfiltering = On

*Arrow HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\ColorFiltering

FilterType DWORD

0 = Greyscale
    1 = Invert
    2 = Greyscale Inverted
    3 = Deuteranopia
    4 = Protanopia
    5 = Tritanopia

1. Do step 2 (off), step 3 (on - Greyscale), step 4 (on - Invert), step 5 (on - Greyscale Inverted), step 6 (on - Deuteranopia), step 7 (on - Protanopia), or step 8 (on - Tritanopia) below for what you want to do.

2. To Turn Off Color Filters
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the .reg file below, and go to step 9 below.

Turn_off_color_filters.reg

Download

3. To Turn On Color Filters using Greyscale filter
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the .reg file below, and go to step 9 below.

Turn_on_Greyscale_color_filter.reg

Download

4. To Turn On Color Filters using Invert filter

Turn_on_Invert_color_filter.reg

Download

5. To Turn On Color Filters using Greyscale Inverted filter

Turn_on_Greyscale_Inverted_color_filter.reg

Download

6. To Turn On Color Filters using Deuteranopia filter

Turn_on_Deuteranopia_color_filter.reg

Download

7. To Turn On Color Filters using Protanopia filter

Turn_on_Protanopia_color_filter.reg

Download

8. To Turn On Color Filters using Tritanopia filter

Turn_on_Tritanopia_color_filter.reg

Download
    9. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

10. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

11. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

12. sign in to apply.

13. When finished, you can delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

2. Color filter for color blindness is on, how can I turn it off?

Hello: I found the color filter for color blindness is turned on to "Blue-Yellow (tritanopia)." I am not color blind and I did not turn this on. I have sole access to my pc. This occurred right after the April 2018 update from Microsoft. How can I
    turn off this filter? I tried clicking on it thinking it might be a toggle, but nothing happened - the filter remained on. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

Pete

Peter DAgnew, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    Colors looking grey in Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that the colors look grey on your computer. I would suggest you to check the color filters in Settings and see if that helps. Kindly, refer the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows key + U, to open
      Ease of Access Settings
    2. Now, select Color filters from the left pane.
    3. Under Use color filters, toggle the switch to
      off for Turn on color filters.
    4. Clear the check box for Allow the shortcut key to toggle filter on or off.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Turn On or Off Color Filters to the Screen in Windows 10

Sumit Dhiman2, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Sumit (Independent Advisor), Oct 26, 2019
  6. color

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

1. Which build version of Windows are you currently using?
    2. May I please know the KB number of the update that was installed on your PC?
    3. Where are you seeing this option, “how to adjust color”?

I understand how frustrating it is when settings change automatically without our knowledge,
    let us few troubleshooting steps to fix this issue and check if that helps:-

Method 1: Check if high contrast is enable in settings, if it is enabled disable high contrast.

To do that,

1. Tap on Windows + I on the keyboard.
    2. Click on the Personalization option.
    3. Now click on the Background option.
    4. Click on High contrast settings under ‘Related settings’.
    5. Toggle the button to ‘Off’ under
      Turn on high contrast

Method 2: Turn off the color filters.

To do that,

1. Tap on Windows + I on the keyboard.
    2. Click on the Ease of access option.
    3. Now click on Color filters tab.
    4. Move the slider to Off under the
      Turn on color filters
      option.

Method 3: If the issue still persists, update your display drivers. Refer the article on
    Update drivers in Windows 10, for steps to update your display drivers.

Reply with the information to the above questions and status of the issue, in order to assist you with appropriate troubleshooting steps.

Hope it helps.

Sandeep Kumar M

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Sandeep_KM, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

Turn On or Off Color Filters to the Screen in Windows 10

1. Turn On or Off Color Filters to the Screen in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Turn Off Color

2. Screen black and white, it's not the color filters

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen black and white, it's not the color filters: I was trying to use the "windows + shift + S" shortcut to take a screen grab and paste it elsewhere. I hit the wrong key or keys, and my screen suddenly went black and white. At first I thought I must have hit "windows+ctrl+C" and turned on the color filters, but when I went...
  3. Screen black and white, it's not the color filters

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Screen black and white, it's not the color filters: I was trying to use the "windows + shift + S" shortcut to take a screen grab and paste it elsewhere. I hit the wrong key or keys, and my screen suddenly went black and white. At first I thought I must have hit "windows+ctrl+C" and turned on the color filters, but when I went...
  4. My deuteranopia color filter turns off when full screening certain games.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My deuteranopia color filter turns off when full screening certain games.: Hi,I am red green color blind and really love the color filter option in windows. It just happens to turn off for one of my favorite games the Binding of Isaac: Rebirth. I play it on a 1440p 144hz monitor and I figured out that the color filter doesnt turn off when I set my...
  5. My deuteranopia color filter turns off when full screening certain games.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My deuteranopia color filter turns off when full screening certain games.: Hi,I am red green color blind and really love the color filter option in windows. It just happens to turn off for one of my favorite games the Binding of Isaac: Rebirth. I play it on a 1440p 144hz monitor and I figured out that the color filter doesnt turn off when I set my...
  6. Filter keys not turning off

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Filter keys not turning off: So, basically I try to do anything but filter keys is on so I go to the little startup thing to turn it off, and its already off, so I press shift 5 times, nothing I hols shift for 8 seconds, nothing WHAT DO I DO submitted by /u/that-drawinguy [link] [comments]...
  7. Screen black and white, but color filter is off

in Windows 10 Customization
    Screen black and white, but color filter is off: So my screen is black and white (grayscale) however the color filters are off. I had this problem happen before with the color filter. But this time is completely off. Is there another setting somewhere that does a similar thing?...
  8. How to turn on or off Filter Keys in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to turn on or off Filter Keys in Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Microsoft has done a lot of work when it comes to Accessibility. It’s a way where software features can help people with physical issues. Filter Keys is one such feature which tells the keyboard to ignore repeated keystrokes. People with [...] This post How...
  9. Turn off SmartScreen Filter in Windows 10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Turn off SmartScreen Filter in Windows 10: Hi, According to this page: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...=vs.85%29.aspx Navigate to section :: "To turn off Turn on SmartScreen Filter to check web content (URLs) that Windows Store apps use:" I have created a .bat file with the following contents:...
  10. Turn On or Off Filter Keys in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Filter Keys in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Filter Keys in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Filter Keys in Windows 10 Filter Keys is an Accessibility option that you can use to control the keyboard repeat rate and ignore repeated keys. When Filter Keys is turned on, you can also turn on...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. turn color filter off