Windows 10: Turn On or Off Cortana Location Permissions in Windows 10

Discus and support Turn On or Off Cortana Location Permissions in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Turn On or Off Cortana Location Permissions in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Cortana Location Permissions in Windows 10 Cortana is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by fjk61011, Nov 5, 2015.

1. fjk61011 Win User

Turn On or Off Cortana Location Permissions in Windows 10

How to: Turn On or Off Cortana Location Permissions in Windows 10

How to Turn On or Off Cortana Location Permissions in Windows 10

Cortana is your cloud-based personal assistant that works across your devices and other Microsoft services. Depending on the capabilities of your device and the version of Cortana youre using, Cortana can provide a range of features, some of which are personalized. Cortana on Windows is available in certain regions and languages. If Cortana isnt available for your Windows device, you can still search for files on your device in the search box on the taskbar. Cortana is also available on other platforms, such as Android and iOS, in select markets.

Cortana works best when you sign in and let her use data from your device, other Microsoft services, and third-party services you choose to connect. To provide you with personalized experiences, Cortana learns from certain data about you, such as your searches, calendar, contacts, and location. Youre in control of how much data you share. If you choose not to sign into Cortana on Windows, you can still chat with Cortana and use her to help you search the web, documents stored in Microsoft services like OneDrive, and your Windows device. See the section about Windows Search in the Privacy Statement for more information. If you dont sign in, or you choose to sign out, your experiences will be more limited and they wont be personalized with your Cortana data. On iOS and Android devices, Cortana only works when you sign in.

To help you get around when you visit places, learn your routines by collecting changes in your location, and learn which places are important to you, Cortana needs your device location data. Cortana can save commonly visited places as your favorites, and these also appear in other Microsoft services such as the Maps app. This feature will let Cortana help you by giving you traffic alerts before you need to leave or sending reminders based on location like Youre near the grocery store, where you wanted to buy milk. Cortana collects your location periodically even if youre not interacting with her, as in when you connect to Wi‑Fi or disconnect from Bluetooth. When using Cortana, she also has access to your device location data and will automatically send it to Bing when Cortana suggests web search terms and results for Bing to use

You can manage permissions for what Cortana can see and use for your account in Windows 10.

You can choose whether Cortana accesses your location information in order to give you the most relevant notices and results and to make suggestions that help save you time, such as traffic information and location-based reminders. If you grant permission, Cortana will regularly collect and use your current location, location history, and other location signals (such as locations tagged on photos you upload to OneDrive). Location information collected by Cortana may also be used in de-identified form to improve the Windows Location Services.

For more information, see:
    This tutorial will show you how to turn on or off Cortana using your location and location history in Windows 10.

*note You will need to turn on location services to be able to turn on allowing Cortana to use your location and location history.

Here's How:

1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Cortana icon.

2. Click/tap on Permissions on the left side, and click/tap on the Manage the information Cortana can access from this device link under Permissions on the right side. (see screenshot below)

Turn On or Off Cortana Location Permissions in Windows 10 [​IMG]

3. Turn On (default) or Off Location for what you want. (see screenshot below)

Turn On or Off Cortana Location Permissions in Windows 10 [​IMG]

4. When finished, you can close Settings if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

fjk61011, Nov 5, 2015

2. Cortana and location won't turning on.

Hi Abhinav,

We appreciate you for being a part of Windows 10.

We need to know more information to help you better.

• Which region do you live?

• Do you get any error message when you try to turn on your location in settings menu?
    Currently, Cortana is only available in the some of the countries/regions.
    I suggest you to refer the below article for more information about Cortana’s regions and languages.

Cortana’s regions and languages

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/cortanas-regions-and-languages

As you are not able to access Cortana from start menu, you may follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• Press Windows + X keys on the keyboard, select
      Command prompt (admin).
    2. Enter the below command and hit Enter key.

PowerShell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted

3. Now enter the below command and hit Enter key.

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

I suggest you to refer to the below help article for more information on how Location services will work in Windows 10.

Windows 10location service and privacy: FAQ

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/location-service-privacy

I hope the above information helps. Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Kiran Kishore, Oct 26, 2019
  3. cdawall Win User
    Windows 10 permissions...

Ok so I feel officially dumb I am trying to copy my steam library to my NAS. Both are on windows 10 pro and both have full control in the file manager. Neither windows nor fast copy will allow me to copy, both list a permissions error? This was never an issue with windows 7...so first off thank you microsoft god forbid I want to back up my data, second off what the heck do I need to do to make this work. All I could fine online was to set full control and that obviously didn't help.

Also robocopy doesn't apparently work with network locations?

cdawall, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Turn On or Off Cortana Location Permissions in Windows 10

Cortana and Location Settings

Hi,

I realize the inconvenience you are facing. Let me help you in resolving the issue.

This issue may occur if location settings are not turned on for Cortana.

To turn on location settings for cortana, I suggest you to try these steps and check if it helps.

• Click on Start Button and type Location in the search.

• Open Location Privacy Settings.

• Under the option "choose apps that can use your location" check if Cortana is turned on.

• If not turn on and check if it helps.
    Also suggest you to check if similar issue persists on another user account.

Create another administrator user account by referring to

Set up accounts
    on Windows 10 article.

The corrupted user profile does not function normally such as not launching
    Start menu, Cortana, Search bar, Store and other
    Windows applications. In such cases creating a new profile and checking for the same will help in identifying if the is specific to corrupted user profile or the OS.

Write to us with the status of the issue on the same post for further assistance.
    Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Nachappa C K, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Towt Win User
    Cortana location won't stay on

I've tried the steps listed here:

Cortana and location won't turning on.

However, that doesn't seem to help.

My issue is, when I ask cortana a question regarding something that requires permissions to do so, she says she needs me to enable it. I click "sure" and it says something went wrong.

If I go to her permissions, the location slider is set to off, I turn it on. When I leave the settings page and come back, it is still off.

6. Why is Cortana tracking my location even though location services are turned off?

"Cortana collects your location periodically even if you’re not interacting with her, like when you connect to Wi Fi or disconnect from Bluetooth. When Cortana is turned on, the Search app also has access to your device
    location information and will automatically send it to Bing when Cortana suggests web search terms and results for Bing to use as described in the privacy statement. If you don’t want Cortana to have access to your device location, you need to turn off Cortana
    completely:

• Go to Cortana > Notebook > Settings .
    • Turn off the setting Cortana can give you suggestions, ideas, reminders, alerts and more"

So there is no way to prevent Microsoft from collecting my location data EVEN
    WHEN LOCATION SERVICES ARE TURNED OFF except by turning off Cortana completely. Fine. I'll do that. Too bad the setting "Cortana can give you suggestions, ideas, reminders, alerts and more" doesn't seem to exist.

Daniel.Ryan, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

Turn On or Off Cortana Location Permissions in Windows 10

1. Turn On or Off Cortana Location Permissions in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Turn Off Cortana

2. Cortana doesn't work with location services turned off?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cortana doesn't work with location services turned off?: I recently switched from a windows phone to android... I loved my windows phone and the assistant, talk to text is essential to me. I work with sticky fingers all day and it's best if I reduce the amount of time I touch it. Anyway, trying to avoid the google dominance I tried...
  3. turn off cortana

in Cortana
    turn off cortana: Since 1903 update moments ago in windows 10 that annoying, useless Cortana is back on. How to turn OFF cortana yet keep the search button/bar. Or, even better yet, how to uninstall version 1903...
  4. Turn OFF permissions!!!!!!!!!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Turn OFF permissions!!!!!!!!!: Is there ANY way to turn OFF this permissions thingy?!?! I am soooooooooooooooo tired of MY machine giving me "Access denied" or "You need permissions from <MYSELF>" errors!!!!!!!!!!!! (And NO--I'm NOT going waste MORE time, monkeying around with user account, etc.!!!!...
  5. turn off cortana

turn off cortana: Just updated to Win10 v14366. How do I turn off Cortana? 53946
  6. Turn off Cortana

Turn off Cortana: I want to turn off Cortana but it is not listed in the Local Group Policy. 104369
  7. Turn On or Off Cortana Tips in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Cortana Tips in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Cortana Tips in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Cortana Tips in Windows 10 Cortana is your clever new personal assistant. Cortana will help you find things on your PC, manage your calendar, track packages, find files, chat with you, and tell...
  8. Turn On or Off Cortana Browsing History Permissions in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Cortana Browsing History Permissions in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Cortana Browsing History Permissions in Windows 10 Turn On or Off Cortana Using Your Microsoft Edge Browsing History in Windows 10 Cortana is your cloud-based personal assistant that works across your devices and other Microsoft services....
  9. Turn Off Cortana Contacts, Email, & Calendar Permissions in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn Off Cortana Contacts, Email, & Calendar Permissions in Windows 10: How to: Turn Off Cortana Contacts, Email, & Calendar Permissions in Windows 10 Turn On or Off Cortana Contacts, Email, Calendar, and Communication Permissions in Windows 10 Cortana is your cloud-based personal assistant that works across your devices and other Microsoft...
  10. Turn On or Off Hey Cortana in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Hey Cortana in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Hey Cortana in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Hey Cortana in Windows 10 Cortana is your cloud-based personal assistant that works across your devices and other Microsoft services. Depending on the capabilities of your device and the version of...