Windows 10: Turn On or Off Device Driver Automatic Installation in Windows 10

Discus and support Turn On or Off Device Driver Automatic Installation in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Turn On or Off Device Driver Automatic Installation in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Automatic Device Driver Installation in Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by banger, Aug 31, 2015.

1. banger Win User

Turn On or Off Device Driver Automatic Installation in Windows 10

How to: Turn On or Off Device Driver Automatic Installation in Windows 10

How to Turn On or Off Automatic Device Driver Installation in Windows 10

By default, Windows 10 will automatically search for, download and install driver updates for devices installed on the computer via Windows Update.

Device Installation Settings allow you to change if Windows is to automatically download recommended drivers and detailed information for your hardware and devices via Windows Update.

Windows can find and download two kinds of updates for devices connected to your computer:
    Drivers - A driver is software that allows your computer to communicate with hardware devices. Without drivers, the devices you connect to your computer—for example, a mouse or external hard drive—won't work properly. Windows can automatically check if there are drivers available for new devices that you connect to your computer.

For hardware that you've connected to your computer in the past, updated drivers might become available at a later date; but those drivers aren't installed automatically.

Information - Windows can download high-resolution icons for many hardware devices that you connect to your computer, along with detailed information about them, such as product name, manufacturer, and model number—even detailed information about the sync capabilities of a device. These details can make it easier for you to distinguish between similar devices that are connected to your computer, such as different mobile phones.
    This tutorial will show you how to turn on or off to automatically download and install drivers and information for your devices from Windows Update in Windows 10.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to make changes in Device Installation Settings.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Turn On or Off Automatic Device Driver Installation in Device Installation Settings
    • Option Two: To Turn On or Off Automatic Device Driver Installation using a REG file

OPTION ONE [/i] To Turn On or Off Automatic Device Driver Installation in Device Installation Settings
    1. Open the Control Panel (icons view), and click/tap on the Devices and Printers icon.

2. Under Devices, right click or press and hold on your PC icon with computer name, click/tap on Device installation settings, and close the Control Panel. (see screenshot below)

Turn On or Off Device Driver Automatic Installation in Windows 10 [​IMG]

3. Select (dot) Yes (on - default) or No (off) for what you want, and click/tap on Save Changes. (see screenshot below)

Turn On or Off Device Driver Automatic Installation in Windows 10 [​IMG]

4. You may also wish to Enable or Disable Including Driver Updates in Windows Update in Windows 10.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Turn On or Off Automatic Device Driver Installation using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will modify the DWORD in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Device Metadata

PreventDeviceMetadataFromNetwork DWORD

0 = Off
    1 = On

1. Do step 2 (on) or step 3 (off) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Turn On Automatic Device Driver Installation
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_ON_install_driver_software_from_Windows_Update.reg

Download

3. To Turn Off Automatic Device Driver Installation
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_OFF_install_driver_software_from_Windows_Update.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6.When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. If you like, you can delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

8. You may also wish to Enable or Disable Including Driver Updates in Windows Update in Windows 10.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

banger, Aug 31, 2015
  2. PA Bear - MS MVP, Aug 31, 2015
  3. Windows Update re-installs 5 drivers again & again. (Pic included)

Have you tried turning NIS and then checking the same?

First of all turn the driver updates off:

Device Driver Automatic Installation

Sumit Dhiman2, Aug 31, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Aug 31, 2015
  5. banger Win User
    Yes same result as rollback

banger, Aug 31, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    In that case uninstall the driver again, then check to see if you have a C:\NVIDIA folder. If you do, then delete it as well. This folder contains the installation files for the NVIDIA driver, and could be used to reinstall from.

Brink, Aug 31, 2015
  7. jfreemont Win User
    My understanding is that the device-driver automatic installation doesn't work exactly like this.

If you set it to get drivers from Windows Update, I believe Windows gets drivers from Windows Update if Windows does not have an appropriate driver at the time of the device detection (PnP).

From what I can remember, setting this would not directly impact whether you get driver updates from Windows Update when Windows Update searches for updates on a regular basis; it would only impact whether you get drivers from Windows Update when the device is detected. Routine Windows Updates and device detection are two separate events.

I know this was the case at one point in the far past, but I do not know if this is still the case.

jfreemont, Sep 1, 2015
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello jfreemont, *Smile

It's to be able to get updated drivers all the time from Windows Update if/when available. The link below from Microsoft is for Windows 7, but still applies.

Automatically get recommended drivers and updates for your hardware

Brink, Sep 1, 2015
  9. jfreemont Win User
    Maybe so.

If that's still the case, I wish they'd move the setting to Windows Update as a checkbox rather than its current location.

jfreemont, Sep 1, 2015
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Yeah, that would be nice. There was a setting for it in the Windows Update settings from the Control Panel, but of course that's long gone in Windows 10 now.

Brink, Sep 1, 2015
  11. banger Win User
    Think this has worked now. I still get a desktop notification "Cannot install updates tap here to fix" but if I ignore that and ignore the install button on windows update the nvidia drivers dont get updated but windows updates still seem to get installed according to history.

banger, Sep 2, 2015
  12. fredc Win User
    One of the big pluses about Win 10 that i love is the automatic driver installs , saves me a lot of headaches and they seem to work well .

I have no idea how "brink" manages to accomplish all these tutorials but it is truly amazing , i have been using the "one click event viewer clear" thing that he came up with for Win 7 and it's a lifesaver for me .

fredc, Sep 2, 2015
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hey Chris, *Smile

I'm glad they could help. Did you see the latest clear Event Viewer version below?

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...s-windows.html

Brink, Sep 2, 2015
  14. fredc Win User
    fredc, Sep 2, 2015
  15. fredc Win User
    Works fantastic , don't know where you come from or even if your from this planet but you are indeed amazing .

fredc, Sep 2, 2015
Thema:

1. Turn On or Off Device Driver Automatic Installation in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Turn Off Device

2. Windows 10 keeps turning on and off automatically even after installing it. Help,

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 keeps turning on and off automatically even after installing it. Help,: Brother, I have made a new computer 15 days ago, I downloaded Windows from Microsoft and installed it, it worked fine for 7 days, after that Windows started showing blue screen, then I tried to fix the problem by watching YouTube videos, but problems started appearing one...
  3. Windows 10 keeps turning on and off automatically even after installing it. Help,

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 keeps turning on and off automatically even after installing it. Help,: Brother, I have made a new computer 15 days ago, I downloaded Windows from Microsoft and installed it, it worked fine for 7 days, after that Windows started showing blue screen, then I tried to fix the problem by watching YouTube videos, but problems started appearing one...
  4. Bluetooth driver installed but no option to turn on or off

in Windows 10 Customization
    Bluetooth driver installed but no option to turn on or off: The bluetooth shows that it is installed in device manager but only showing "Qualcomm Atheros Bluetooth" and nothing else. Usually when I can connect it shows the devices that have previously connected as well. I have tried disabling, uninstalling and reinstalling from...
  5. Windows 10 turns off and on automatically. Shows automatic repair screen but turns off...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 turns off and on automatically. Shows automatic repair screen but turns off...: My Windows 10 lenovo turns off and on automatically. First it shows 'preparing automatic repair' but turns off again before anything comes up. A few times Windows repair blue screen comes up but before I can pick any option it turns off again. At times i also manage to get...
  6. Drivers turning off?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Drivers turning off?: I've recently formatted my computerthis has happened in the past also and after about 10min of the computer being on my mouse, keyboard, and internet basically everything plugged in usb turns off and I have to restart my computer for it to happen again. I've searched...
  7. Turn off automatic Windows 10 Updates

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Turn off automatic Windows 10 Updates: Hello. To turn off automatic updates in Windows 10, we basically need to prevent the Windows Update service from running on startup. This can be done by going to Start Menu>type 'Services'>look for a service called 'Windows Update' and double click on it>if it's already...
  8. How do I turn off automatic driver install Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How do I turn off automatic driver install Windows 10: Hello friends after a clean installation of Windows 10 installs the driver automatically, but the driver to install the old version of the driver from their site up-to-date from Windows Update, I'm installing do I turn off automatic driver how to install note: my bad...
  9. Turn On or Off Automatic Recommended Troubleshooting in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Automatic Recommended Troubleshooting in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Automatic Recommended Troubleshooting in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Automatic Recommended Troubleshooting in Windows 10 If something isn't working in Windows 10, running a troubleshooter might help. Troubleshooters can find and fix many...
  10. Turn Off Automatic Installation of Suggested Apps in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn Off Automatic Installation of Suggested Apps in Windows 10: How to: Turn Off Automatic Installation of Suggested Apps in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Automatically Installing Suggested Apps in Windows 10 [img] Information Starting with Windows 10 version 1607 Anniversary Update, Windows will silently automatically download...