Windows 10: Turn On or Off Download Save Prompt in Microsoft Edge

Discus and support Turn On or Off Download Save Prompt in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Turn On or Off Download Save Prompt in Microsoft Edge How to Turn On or Off Microsoft Edge Download Save Prompt in Windows 10 Microsoft... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by erpster4, Apr 28, 2016.

1. erpster4 Win User

Turn On or Off Download Save Prompt in Microsoft Edge

How to: Turn On or Off Download Save Prompt in Microsoft Edge

How to Turn On or Off Microsoft Edge Download Save Prompt in Windows 10

Microsoft Edge is a new web browser that is available across the Windows 10 device family. It is designed for Windows 10 to be faster, safer, and compatible with the modern Web.

The save prompt will provide you with the option to Save to your current Downloads folder, Save As to a folder you select, or Cancel the download.

Starting with Windows 10 build 14267, you can turn on or off a save prompt in Microsoft Edge to always ask you what to do with downloads.

Starting with Windows 10 build 14361, the download notification in Microsoft Edge will include filename, download status, and site domain on separate lines.

Starting with Windows 10 build 15007, you can now choose to Run a download link without first saving it, and Microsoft added a Save As option to the existing Save link.

This tutorial will show you how to turn on or off the download save prompt in Microsoft Edge for your account in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Turn On or Off Microsoft Edge Download Save Prompt in Download Settings
    • Option Two: To Turn On or Off Microsoft Edge Download Save Prompt using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Download prompt in Microsoft Edge

Turn On or Off Download Save Prompt in Microsoft Edge [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] To Turn On or Off Microsoft Edge Download Save Prompt in Download Settings
    1. Open the Microsoft Edge app.

2. Click/tap on the Settings and more (Alt+X) button (3 dots), and click/tap on Settings. (see screenshot below)

3. 3. Click/tap on General on the left side, and turn on or off Always ask me what to do with each download for what you want under Downloads on the right side. (see screenshot below)

OPTION TWO [/i] To Turn On or Off Microsoft Edge Download Save Prompt using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will modify the DWORD in the registry key below.

Code:
    EnableSavePrompt DWORD

0 = Off
    1 = On

1. Do step 2 (on) or step 3 (off) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Turn On Microsoft Edge Download Save Prompt
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_On_Microsoft_Edge_Download_Save_Prompt.reg

Download

3. To Turn Off Microsoft Edge Download Save Prompt
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_Off_Microsoft_Edge_Download_Save_Prompt.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

erpster4, Apr 28, 2016

2. Transfering files from folder DOWNLOADS to personal folder created in the PC.

Oh, you're asking for something completely different now. You are now asking for "prompt me for save location prior to downloading". You didn't specify that's what you wanted, but you can enable it if that's what you're looking for. A fellow MVP has posted
    how here: Microsoft Edge Download Save Prompt - Turn On or Off

One you use those steps, you can have enabled your download prompt for each file.

I'd encourage you to also send your feedback from the Edge menu (••• button), as the team is actively seeking what they can do to make the experience even better.

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Apr 28, 2016
  3. RussellGSmith, Apr 28, 2016
  4. Turn On or Off Download Save Prompt in Microsoft Edge

Cant wait for that to appear very handy one to have

hTconeM9user, Apr 28, 2016
  5. davidhk Win User
    A silly feature.
    Can't wait to see it abandoned.
    A choice to decide where to Save At is a MUST for me.

davidhk, Apr 28, 2016
  6. JoeGons Win User
    Thank you so much for this.
    I just, today, upgraded to Win 10 and Edge.
    I guess there is a bit of a learning curve.
    I tried to download a file and of course, it got lost.
    I eventually found it by clicking on everything and found the folder.

There is no option in Settings for me to take that route.
    I downloaded your two .reg scripts.
    Opened them in Note and saw what you did.
    I went into regedit there was no “Download” Key in “MicrosoftEdge”.
    I created a new Key “Download” and a new dword “EnableSavePrompt” and changed the value to “1”
    It is working.
    Thank you so very much.
    I don't know why my Edge does not have the option in settings but I guess there must be an update out there.

Joe

JoeGons, May 4, 2016
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, May 4, 2016
  8. JoeGons Win User

Thanks.
    Well, I just up-graded and I have Version 1511 (OS Build 10586.218).
    How do I get build 14267?

I was concerned when I did not see a Key “Download”.
    That is why I did it the hard way.

For everyone, would your .reg script create a “Download” Key and then the dword?

ATB
    Joe

JoeGons, May 4, 2016
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Correct. The downloadable .reg files will add the DWORD.

That build is from the Windows 10 Insider Preview program. To get the latest insider preview build, you can use the method in the tutorial below to set Windows to start receiving insider builds from the fast ring.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...dows-10-a.html

Brink, May 4, 2016
  10. NovHak Win User
    Does this build finally adress the problem of Edge and IE not working properly when temporary internet files are not on the system volume, by any chance ? One easy check is to try downloading something. If it doesn't work, the problem isn't solved.

NovHak, May 4, 2016
  11. JoeGons Win User
    Naah!!
    I'll wait.
    Where is Windows Update.
    The Link I have does not work.

JoeGons, May 4, 2016
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, May 4, 2016
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

It works fine for me in build 14332.

Brink, May 4, 2016
  14. NovHak Win User
    Okay, so downloads still work when the temporary internet files directory is set outside of the system volume ? Good to know, I suppose it will be included in the anniversary update !

NovHak, May 4, 2016
  15. JoeGons Win User
    JoeGons, May 4, 2016
Thema:

1. Turn On or Off Download Save Prompt in Microsoft Edge - Similar Threads - Turn Off Download

2. How to Turn On or Off Show Downloads Menu in Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 News
    How to Turn On or Off Show Downloads Menu in Microsoft Edge: When a download starts in Microsoft Edge, the downloads menu will show to let you know. This tutorial will show you how to turn on or off to show downloads menu when a download starts in the Chromium based Microsoft Edge. EXAMPLE: Downloads menu in Microsoft Edge [img]...
  3. How to turn off "Help" on microsoft edge?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to turn off "Help" on microsoft edge?: I'm playing a game and the f1 button closes a window that opens up when I want help on MY GAME. But when I push f1 it pulls down my game and brings up Microsoft edge help. This is REALLY irritating me. I want tao turn off F1 FOR HELP!!!!!...
  4. How to Turn On or Off Ask Where to Save in Microsoft Edge Chromium

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    How to Turn On or Off Ask Where to Save in Microsoft Edge Chromium: How to: How to Turn On or Off Ask Where to Save in Microsoft Edge Chromium How to Turn On or Off Ask Where to Save in Microsoft Edge Chromium Microsoft has adopted the Chromium open source project in the development of Microsoft Edge on the desktop to create better web...
  5. Turn On or Off Save Data in Application Guard for Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Save Data in Application Guard for Microsoft Edge: How to: Turn On or Off Save Data in Application Guard for Microsoft Edge How to Turn On or Off Save Data in Application Guard for Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 Microsoft Edge is a new web browser that is available across the Windows 10 device family. It is designed for...
  6. Turn On or Off Extensions in Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Extensions in Microsoft Edge: How to: Turn On or Off Extensions in Microsoft Edge How to Turn On or Off Microsoft Edge Extensions in Windows 10 Microsoft Edge is a new web browser that is available across the Windows 10 device family. It is designed for Windows 10 to be faster, safer, and compatible...
  7. Turn On or Off Offer to Save Passwords in Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Offer to Save Passwords in Microsoft Edge: How to: Turn On or Off Offer to Save Passwords in Microsoft Edge How to Turn On or Off Offer to Save Passwords in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 Microsoft Edge is a new web browser that is available across the Windows 10 device family. It is designed for Windows 10 to be...
  8. Turn On or Off Tab Preview in Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Tab Preview in Microsoft Edge: How to: Turn On or Off Tab Preview in Microsoft Edge How to Turn On or Off Tab Preview in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 [img] Information Microsoft Edge is a new web browser that is available across the Windows 10 device family. It is designed for Windows 10 to be...
  9. Turn On or Off Make Microsoft Edge Default Browser Prompt

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Make Microsoft Edge Default Browser Prompt: How to: Turn On or Off Make Microsoft Edge Default Browser Prompt Turn On or Off 'Make Microsoft Edge your default browser' Prompt in Windows 10 [img] Information Microsoft Edge is a new web browser that is available across the Windows 10 device family. It is designed...
  10. Turn On or Off Microsoft Edge Save Protected Media Licenses

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Microsoft Edge Save Protected Media Licenses: How to: Turn On or Off Microsoft Edge Save Protected Media Licenses How to Turn On or Off 'Let sites save protected media licenses' in Microsoft Edge Microsoft Edge is a new web browser that is available across the Windows 10 device family. It is designed for Windows 10...