Windows 10: Turn On or Off Fast Startup in Windows 10

Discus and support Turn On or Off Fast Startup in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; Thank you for very fast response *Smile. So you say that's normal even if my W10 is on SSD (HDD is only for rest of files) ? Strange that noone noticed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Cliff S, Jun 27, 2015.

1. mattpl Win User

Turn On or Off Fast Startup in Windows 10

Thank you for very fast response *Smile. So you say that's normal even if my W10 is on SSD (HDD is only for rest of files) ? Strange that noone noticed it before. Couldn't find any information about this.

mattpl, Feb 9, 2016
  2. Brink
    Brink New Member

Yes, it's normal to take a bit to save memory before hibernating.

Brink, Feb 9, 2016
  3. peterweb Win User
    If you did not have an SSD, it might take 5 to 10 seconds to save the hyberfil data.

peterweb, Feb 9, 2016
  4. mattpl Win User

Ok thanks I turned it on because PC starts faster even with SSD. Difference was like 5-6 seconds. But on the other hand turns off longer *Smile.

mattpl, Feb 9, 2016
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    If you like, you could specify the hiberfile type to reduced to only have fast startup without hibernate to stop the delay at shut down.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html

Brink, Feb 9, 2016
  6. mattpl Win User
    So if I reduce hibernate. It will shut down like it would be turned off but I will keep fast startup ? Hibernate is consuming at this moment 3 GB and I have 8 GB RAM. I have read that topic before but thought mine is reduced already.

mattpl, Feb 9, 2016
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Correct. It's not set to reduced by default. *Smile

Brink, Feb 10, 2016
  8. mattpl Win User

I reduced hibernate but unfortunately the shut down looks the same. Monitor + HDD are turning off and I have to wait another 3-4 seconds then it turns off completely. Fast startup is working of course fine.

mattpl, Feb 10, 2016
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    I don't think you're going to get better than those few seconds.

As a test, create a shortcut using the command below, then use it to shutdown to see how it performs. It will immediately force running applications to close, and then performs a shutdown of the computer and prepares it for fast startup.

shutdown /s /hybrid /f /t 0

Brink, Feb 10, 2016
  10. mattpl Win User
    Ok thank you very much. I did a test, when I unchecked the fast startup computer is shutting faster but not so much so I will leave it like that. But I have noticed another strange situation, yesterday when I went to my task manager > startup I saw that last bios time was 2,1 second. I said what ? It didn't look that. Today when I have turned off hibernate and turn it on again it's showing me times like 11-12 seconds over there. I'm a little confused because I thought on UEFI system will boot faster. Since I press start button it is 20-23 seconds to boot in Windows. I'm using Asrock Z77 Extreme4 Windows 8 Fast Boot Comparison, ASRock Wins!!! - YouTube on this video he is showing the same motherboard and boot time 5 sec. So I'm just curious is it smth wrong in bios or is it fake. I enabled Ultra Fast Boot, UEFI, GPT partition, SSD is Kingston V300.

mattpl, Feb 10, 2016
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    It may be something different for how each was measured for how fast.

Brink, Feb 10, 2016
  12. mattpl Win User
    Or people on all of this videos are showing clean system without antivirus etc. and only with SSD connected. I should probably unplug HDD but I'm too lazy to open the case *Smile. So I think that will be all. Thanks again.

mattpl, Feb 10, 2016
  13. Turn On or Off Fast Startup in Windows 10

Is having this on killing my SSD? I worry about the life cycle of an SSD. I'd say having it on maybe trims my boot by a few seconds - but is it worth it if it has the potential to seriously reduce the life of my SSD? Do others with SSD use it? I wonder why MS doesn't switch it off by default if the OS is installed on an SSD

Scottyboy99, May 10, 2016
  14. OldMike65 Win User
    I have two Windows 10 Pro computers, both with SSD's and I NEVER run Fast Startup. But ....its your choice weather you run it or not. *Smile

OldMike65, May 10, 2016
  15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    It's more of a personal choice to have fast boot turned on or not, but with today's SSDs, you no longer really need to worry about the life cycle from reads and writes. *Smile

Brink, May 10, 2016
Thema:

1. Turn On or Off Fast Startup in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Turn Off Fast

2. hey guys is it ok to turn off fast startup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    hey guys is it ok to turn off fast startup: is it ok to turn off fast startup bc i research about my pc bc everytime i check on my pc it says windows was not properly shutdown even i dont using my pc that time it says windows was not properly shutdown and it says windows successfully update in down of it does turning...
  3. hey guys is it ok to turn off fast startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    hey guys is it ok to turn off fast startup: is it ok to turn off fast startup bc i research about my pc bc everytime i check on my pc it says windows was not properly shutdown even i dont using my pc that time it says windows was not properly shutdown and it says windows successfully update in down of it does turning...
  4. hey guys is it ok to turn off fast startup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows (or some other program) turned fast startup off

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows (or some other program) turned fast startup off: My pc was working fine, and i quite enjoyed the feature since I still am rocking an hdd. Does anybody here know why either windows or some other program woud turn this feature off? submitted by /u/Bena437 [link] [comments]...
  6. turn on fast startup windows 10 HELP!!

in Windows 10 Customization
    turn on fast startup windows 10 HELP!!: Quick Start Window 10 is not available and says that some settings are managed by the system administratorPls help me [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/turn-on-fast-startup-windows-10/309c04e0-88c7-4439-a5e9-43c36d12e5ed
  7. "turn on fast startup" windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    "turn on fast startup" windows 10: "turn on fast startup" windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/turn-on-fast-startup-windows-10/2f19289e-6c94-43cb-b23a-fb8b8ee38320
  8. Cmd prompt to turn off Fast startup at boot

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Cmd prompt to turn off Fast startup at boot: Would an Autoexec Bat file work? Maybe turning off hibernate (?) The problem is on my Asus UX303LA laptop with Fast Start on I can't boot from a recovery usb. If I turn off Fast Startup all is well and the computer boots. What would be be the code? Thanks 98382
  9. Fast Startup Issue - Can't turn it off

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Fast Startup Issue - Can't turn it off: As stated in the title. Since i got the Creators Update, my computer will not shutdown and continues to "fast startup" with all my previous windows still open, even with the setting turned off. Checked the BIOS setting for this as well and made sure it was set to 0. Really...
  10. Win 10 creators update..leave fast startup on or turn off?

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 creators update..leave fast startup on or turn off?: In my Lenovo Ideapad 305 I had problems with the earlier edition of win 10 so I was advised to turn off the fast start up of my pc and problem was solved,now the creators edition has been successfully installed I see the setting has been put back to fast start up with no...