Windows 10: Turn On or Off Fast Startup in Windows 10

Discus and support Turn On or Off Fast Startup in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; Thanks Shawn, that's good to know. I think as everything works absolutely fine I'll leave it on. Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Cliff S, Jun 27, 2015.

1. Turn On or Off Fast Startup in Windows 10

Thanks Shawn, that's good to know. I think as everything works absolutely fine I'll leave it on.

Scottyboy99, May 10, 2016
  2. OldMike65 Win User

Why You Might Want to Disable Fast Startup

Fast Startup also has its problems, so you should take the following caveats into consideration before enabling it:
    •When Fast Startup is enabled, your computer doesn’t perform a regular shut down. Since applying new system updates often requires a shutdown, you may not be able to apply updates and turn your computer off. Restart is unaffected, though, so it still performs a full cold shutdown and restart of your system. If a shutdown doesn’t apply your updates, a restart still will.
    •Fast Startup can interfere slightly with encrypted disk images. Users of encryption programs like TrueCrypt have reported that encrypted drives they had mounted before shutting down their system were automatically remounted when starting back up. The solution for this is just to manually dismount your encrypted drives before shutting down, but it is something to be aware of. (This doesn’t affect the full disk encryption feature of TrueCrypt, just disk images. And BitLocker users shouldn’t be affected.)
    •Systems that don’t support hibernation won’t support Fast Startup either. Some devices just don’t play well with hibernation. You’ll have to experiment with it to see whether your devices respond well or not.
    •When you shut down a computer with Fast Startup enabled, Windows locks down the Windows hard disk. You won’t be able to access it from other operating systems if you have your computer configured to dual-boot. Even worse, if you boot into another OS and then access or change anything on the hard disk (or partition) that the hibernating Windows installation uses, it can cause corruption. If you’re dual booting, it’s best not to use Fast Startup or Hibernation at all.
    •Depending on your system, you may not be able to access BIOS/UEFI settings when you shut down a computer with Fast Startup enabled. When a computer hibernates, it does not enter a fully powered down mode. Some versions of BIOS/UEFI work with a system in hibernation and some do not. If yours doesn’t, you can always restart the computer to access BIOS, since the restart cycle will still perform a full shutdown.

OldMike65, May 10, 2016
  3. Cliff S New Member
    Good reply Mike, I also want to add, when I tried using it, some of my tiles stopped updating, mainly Mail & Calendar.
    Also in your first point, where I highlighted, not just updates requiring restart, any files pending rename((changes). Unless you do a Restart once in awhile, so the OS can go off line, to make changes to files that are in use.

Cliff S, May 10, 2016
  4. solpuerto Win User

Turn On or Off Fast Startup in Windows 10

Hi Brink

I have for many months had a problem with my Camera and switching off Fast Startup has cured the problem I had.

The camera did not work when I switched on the computer but if I then used RESTART the camera will work when it booted up.

I had considerable discussions with HP and they kept tellng me I did not have an up to date driver installed and they even installed a new driver for me but that did not work either. They eventually told me they were not responsible to support me as I bought the computer with Win 8.1. The computer is still under waranty.

Many thanks to you and this forum.

solpuerto, Jul 15, 2016
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    I'm glad it was able to help solpuerto. *Smile

If you turn on Fast Startup again, does the camera still work properly now?

Brink, Jul 15, 2016
  6. solpuerto Win User
    Hi Brink

Thank you again and have just tried what you asked and the Camera no longer works with Fast Start activated. I will obviously turn it off again.

I do not notice any difference in starting up either way.

I should say I have a desktop and laptop and not had a problem with them. The problem has been on a tablet and an HP 2 in 1. Do tablets have any link to the problem?

I did not know anything about Fast Start until I found your tutorial and wondered if that had any impact on what I was getting. Very glad it did.

Thank you

solpuerto, Jul 15, 2016
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    I'm not certain if it's a tablet issue or just fast startup.

Brink, Jul 15, 2016
  8. molnart Win User

hi, on my computer if i disable fast startup the computer no longer shuts down, it's just stuck on the shutdown screen. i actually did a complete reinstall because of this, it worked briefly but now the issue is back again. any idea what is causing this?

molnart, Aug 18, 2016
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello molnart, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

Usually folks may have an issue with fast startup turned on instead. I'd recommend leaving it turned on if you're not having any issues with it turned on.

Brink, Aug 18, 2016
  10. molnart Win User
    there are reasons why need to turn off fast startup, otherwise i am unable to mount my NTFS volumes in linux. and turning it on also doesnt solve the problem, since windows needs to fully shut down from time to time, e.g. when installing updates. so even with enabled fast startup my windows get stuck on the shutdown screen when updates are being installed. and with stuck i mean really stuck, not shutting down even after hours.

molnart, Aug 18, 2016
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    I must admit that I'm not sure why it's doing that. You might create a new thread in the General Support forum area for this to get more specific help with it.

Brink, Aug 18, 2016
  12. oneLess Win User
    just as add

in an admin command prompt
    (h=hibernate , as info)

will vanish/hide/disable
    both [fast startup] and [hibernate] options
    from power options
    and your computer will forget about this
    restart is not required.

c

oneLess, Aug 18, 2016
  13. Sara Win User

Hey there,
    I have a situation trying to use this shortcut command:

Turn On or Off Fast Startup in Windows 10 [​IMG]

If I keep the shortcut on the desktop everything is working fine. Fast startup, Sleep, Hibernate, Lock are off during these tests. If I move the shortcut on C:\ root for example it doesn't work anymore. Could be related to the fact that even if I am the admin of this machine, when I cut/paste the file from desktop in other place on C:\ I get this?

Turn On or Off Fast Startup in Windows 10 [​IMG]

Thanks,

14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Sara, *Smile

It is normal to be prompted to "Continue" when copying/moving anything into a Windows system folder or C: root directory like that. Does it successfully copy/move when you click on Continue?

The shortcut keys you assigned to the shortcut will only work if the shortcut is on your desktop or pinned to taskbar.

Brink, Aug 20, 2016
  15. Sara Win User
    Hey there *Smile
    it successfully copy/move when I click on Continue. Make sense now, reading your answer as soon as I move the file, this become unresponsive. This will apply no matter what shortcut I create for fast shutdown?

In Windows 7 for example I successfully used this shortcut command shutdown.exe -s -t 00 and the file was somwhere on C:\.
    Thanks,

Thema:

1. Turn On or Off Fast Startup in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Turn Off Fast

2. hey guys is it ok to turn off fast startup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    hey guys is it ok to turn off fast startup: is it ok to turn off fast startup bc i research about my pc bc everytime i check on my pc it says windows was not properly shutdown even i dont using my pc that time it says windows was not properly shutdown and it says windows successfully update in down of it does turning...
  3. hey guys is it ok to turn off fast startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    hey guys is it ok to turn off fast startup: is it ok to turn off fast startup bc i research about my pc bc everytime i check on my pc it says windows was not properly shutdown even i dont using my pc that time it says windows was not properly shutdown and it says windows successfully update in down of it does turning...
  4. hey guys is it ok to turn off fast startup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows (or some other program) turned fast startup off

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows (or some other program) turned fast startup off: My pc was working fine, and i quite enjoyed the feature since I still am rocking an hdd. Does anybody here know why either windows or some other program woud turn this feature off? submitted by /u/Bena437 [link] [comments]...
  6. turn on fast startup windows 10 HELP!!

in Windows 10 Customization
    turn on fast startup windows 10 HELP!!: Quick Start Window 10 is not available and says that some settings are managed by the system administratorPls help me [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/turn-on-fast-startup-windows-10/309c04e0-88c7-4439-a5e9-43c36d12e5ed
  7. "turn on fast startup" windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    "turn on fast startup" windows 10: "turn on fast startup" windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/turn-on-fast-startup-windows-10/2f19289e-6c94-43cb-b23a-fb8b8ee38320
  8. Cmd prompt to turn off Fast startup at boot

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Cmd prompt to turn off Fast startup at boot: Would an Autoexec Bat file work? Maybe turning off hibernate (?) The problem is on my Asus UX303LA laptop with Fast Start on I can't boot from a recovery usb. If I turn off Fast Startup all is well and the computer boots. What would be be the code? Thanks 98382
  9. Fast Startup Issue - Can't turn it off

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Fast Startup Issue - Can't turn it off: As stated in the title. Since i got the Creators Update, my computer will not shutdown and continues to "fast startup" with all my previous windows still open, even with the setting turned off. Checked the BIOS setting for this as well and made sure it was set to 0. Really...
  10. Win 10 creators update..leave fast startup on or turn off?

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 creators update..leave fast startup on or turn off?: In my Lenovo Ideapad 305 I had problems with the earlier edition of win 10 so I was advised to turn off the fast start up of my pc and problem was solved,now the creators edition has been successfully installed I see the setting has been put back to fast start up with no...