Windows 10: Turn On or Off Fast Startup in Windows 10

Discus and support Turn On or Off Fast Startup in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; The shortcut should still work if you click on it, but just the assigned shortcut keys won't. Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Cliff S, Jun 27, 2015.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Turn On or Off Fast Startup in Windows 10

The shortcut should still work if you click on it, but just the assigned shortcut keys won't.

Brink, Aug 20, 2016
  2. Sara Win User

Indeed if I click on it will work (in other location too) but not using the defined keyboard combination.
    Anyway, I'll put it somewhere in your above mentioned locations. A little bit off-topic for restart will be enough to replace the /s with /r as follows, shutdown /r /f /t 0 ? thanks

3. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Yep, that would work for restart. *Smile

Brink, Aug 21, 2016
  4. Sara Win User

Good to know tks *Smile,
    For the record, a functional shortcut launched by a keyboard combination will be on the desktop (not in hidden mode unfortunately) and taskbar **. In start menu I've tried using the pin function and also using this path ( C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs ) but it works only at clicks. Best regards,

Turn On or Off Fast Startup in Windows 10 [​IMG]

LE: ** Meanwhile I've found what I've been looking for, the shortcuts could also be placed on this path:
    %appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu. Using this approach you don't have to keep them on taskbar or to desktop. It will works using the keyboard shortcuts.

5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Good to know. Thank you. *Smile

Brink, Aug 21, 2016
  6. LIO
    Lio Win User
    Hi there *Smile

I only have a question. In my actual configuration last year I deleted hiberfile.sys and so the fast start up was gone.
    Now, I'm installing a new Windows 10 in a completely new SSD and the AU version of OS.
    I reinstalled it 3 times for different problem, but in each installation at the first (and incredible slow) opening, the size of just the OS was 52 GB.... I forgot hiberfil.sys and pagefile that with 64 GB of RAM are huge.
    Now my question is:
    Last time I delete hiberfil.sys and I move pagefile in a different disk (HDD) in a partition dedicates to scratch file, history (search) file, etc. but, with my RAM dimension, why Windows have to work on SSD instead of using the RAM to have the fast startup?
    So, my mobo has UEFI, but if I don't like the idea to waste 40 GB or more on my system SSD drive, I cannot have fast startup.
    Is there any way to move the hiberfil.sys file too in a different drive?
    Thanks in advance *Smile

7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Lio, *Smile

I'm afraid that the hiberfil.sys file can only be on the Windows drive.

Fast startup requires that hibernate be enabled. If you only want to use fast startup and don't plan on using hibernate, then you can specify the hiberfile type as reduced to significantly reduce the size of the hiberfile to about half of its full size to save space.

Brink, Aug 24, 2016
  8. LIO
    Lio Win User

Thanks Brink for the quick reply, I feared this answer *Sad
    I don't think that the advantages of the fast startup worth the waste of 25 GB of my SSD drives.
    Now, after 1 year, on a 128 SSD drive, with all the user folder (download, documents, music, pictures) moved i different single different partition, without hiber.sys and with pagefile and windows.edb in the scrath partition, only remains 33 GB *Sad
    And I only have the Adobe CC suite, Office, antivirus and the Photoshop plugins.
    This is the reason I reinstall the new Win 10 in a new 240 SSD drive....
    Maybe I'll try for some day if I see a real difference. For now the new OS on the new drive is disconnected after 3 different installation because of the size (now solved) and because of the unbelievable slowness: it can't ever open a windows without having the usual wheel spinning and if i open 2 different explorer windows every time I see "not responding".
    A real nightmare *Banghead

9. peterweb Win User
    I find with my SSD, my Windows 10 AU boots in about 5 - 10- seconds. No need for the Fast Startup.

peterweb, Aug 24, 2016
  10. I guess with an SSD the benefits of fast start are small. Mine is still on as tend to leave as much as Windows at default as possible. Not too bothered if it's on or off. The only thing that does worry me is the possibility of excessive writes to the SSD shortening it's life. I'm not really sure how much writing the hiberfil.sys file does. If I shutdown my PC it does it within a few seconds - it doesn't seem long enough to be writing 16 odd gigabytes everytime I shutdown so I assume maybe it just updates what it needs to/changes rather than re-write the hiberfil.sys over and over? I certainly hope not because then that does seem to be excessive writes to the SSD. I've seen so many conflicting views on the SSD front ranging from not to worry as modern SSDs would last many many years to pessimistic views that those type of writes can wear it out within a couple of years.

Scottyboy99, Aug 25, 2016
  11. pureocean Win User
    Hello,

The Fast Startup feature was not working on my PC(Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H).

And now, it's working. How? Thanks to the Force Fast Startup setting.

-- ForceFastStartup.bat --

pureocean, Dec 20, 2016
  12. Hi, have 64GB of RAM so it's better if i specify size instead of reduced(13GB). How many GB i need for Fast Startup? Thanks.

Be4stElectrjc, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Turn On or Off Fast Startup in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Turn Off Fast

2. hey guys is it ok to turn off fast startup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    hey guys is it ok to turn off fast startup: is it ok to turn off fast startup bc i research about my pc bc everytime i check on my pc it says windows was not properly shutdown even i dont using my pc that time it says windows was not properly shutdown and it says windows successfully update in down of it does turning...
  3. hey guys is it ok to turn off fast startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    hey guys is it ok to turn off fast startup: is it ok to turn off fast startup bc i research about my pc bc everytime i check on my pc it says windows was not properly shutdown even i dont using my pc that time it says windows was not properly shutdown and it says windows successfully update in down of it does turning...
  4. hey guys is it ok to turn off fast startup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows (or some other program) turned fast startup off

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows (or some other program) turned fast startup off: My pc was working fine, and i quite enjoyed the feature since I still am rocking an hdd. Does anybody here know why either windows or some other program woud turn this feature off? submitted by /u/Bena437 [link] [comments]...
  6. turn on fast startup windows 10 HELP!!

in Windows 10 Customization
    turn on fast startup windows 10 HELP!!: Quick Start Window 10 is not available and says that some settings are managed by the system administratorPls help me [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/turn-on-fast-startup-windows-10/309c04e0-88c7-4439-a5e9-43c36d12e5ed
  7. "turn on fast startup" windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    "turn on fast startup" windows 10: "turn on fast startup" windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/turn-on-fast-startup-windows-10/2f19289e-6c94-43cb-b23a-fb8b8ee38320
  8. Cmd prompt to turn off Fast startup at boot

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Cmd prompt to turn off Fast startup at boot: Would an Autoexec Bat file work? Maybe turning off hibernate (?) The problem is on my Asus UX303LA laptop with Fast Start on I can't boot from a recovery usb. If I turn off Fast Startup all is well and the computer boots. What would be be the code? Thanks 98382
  9. Fast Startup Issue - Can't turn it off

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Fast Startup Issue - Can't turn it off: As stated in the title. Since i got the Creators Update, my computer will not shutdown and continues to "fast startup" with all my previous windows still open, even with the setting turned off. Checked the BIOS setting for this as well and made sure it was set to 0. Really...
  10. Win 10 creators update..leave fast startup on or turn off?

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 creators update..leave fast startup on or turn off?: In my Lenovo Ideapad 305 I had problems with the earlier edition of win 10 so I was advised to turn off the fast start up of my pc and problem was solved,now the creators edition has been successfully installed I see the setting has been put back to fast start up with no...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. /f /v bfbd /t reg_dword /d 240 explain