Windows 10: Turn On or Off File History in Windows 10

Discus and support Turn On or Off File History in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Turn On or Off File History in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off File History in Windows 10 [img] Information File History was first... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Hemimax, Nov 5, 2016.

1. Hemimax Win User

Turn On or Off File History in Windows 10

How to: Turn On or Off File History in Windows 10

How to Turn On or Off File History in Windows 10

Turn On or Off File History in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information File History was first introduced in Windows 8, and has been improved in Windows 10.

You can use File History to automatically back up versions of your files on a schedule to a location you select to save to. You can select to save backups to an internal hard drive, externally connected drive (ex: USB drive), or you can save to a drive on a network. You can add, remove, and exclude folders to be backed up by File History.

Over time, you'll have a complete history of your files. If the originals are lost, damaged, or deleted, you can restore them. You can also browse and restore different versions of your files.

File History takes advantage of a feature built into the NTFS file system called the change journal to keep track of changes to files. Essentially, when any change is made to a file or folder on your hard disk, the change journal is updated with a description of the change and the name of the file or folder. So to determine which files need to be backed up, File History simply consults the NTFS change journal. Using the change journal is fast and efficient and won't use up a lot of system resources like running a conventional backup routine does.

If the drive selected as the backup location becomes unavailable, such as when a USB cable is disconnected or the network goes down for maintenance, File History will continue to do its job by saving the copies to a cache on the local drive. Once the backup location becomes available again, the cached contents are transferred to that location and removed from the local drive.

For more about File History, see:

This tutorial will show you how to turn on or off using File History to back up your files for your account in Windows 10.

Warning File History will eventually be replaced by a new feature called Timeline.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Turn On or Off File History in Settings
    • Option Two: To Turn On or Off File History in Control Panel

OPTION ONE [/i] To Turn On or Off File History in Settings
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Update & security icon.

2. Do step 3 (off) or step 4 (on) for what you want to do.

3. To Turn Off File History
    NOTE: This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on Backup on the left side, and turn off Automatically back up my files on the right side. (see screenshot below)

Note If you see Add a drive instead, then File History is already turned off without having a selected drive.

B) You can now close Settings if you like.

4. To Turn On File History
    A) Click/tap on Backup on the left side, and turn on Automatically back up my files on the right side. (see screenshot below)

Note If you see Add a drive instead, then you will need to select a File History drive instead. File History will automatically be turned on afterwards.

B) File History will now be turned on. If you like, click/tap on More options (see screenshot above) and make any changes to the backup options you want. (see screenshots below)

OPTION TWO [/i] To Turn On or Off File History in Control Panel
    1. Open the Control Panel (icons view), and click/tap on the File History icon.

2. Do step 3 (off) or step 4 (on) for what you want to do.

3. To Turn Off File History
    NOTE: This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Turn off button. (see screenshot below)

B) You can now close the Control Panel if you like.

4. To Turn On File History
    A) Click/tap on the Turn on button. (see screenshot below)

Note If you do not want to use the current drive (ex: E: ) for File History, then you will need to select a File History drive you want instead. File History will automatically be turned on afterwards.

If you have a previous backup on this File History drive, then you can select to use it.

B) File History will now be turned on. If you like, you can make any changes to the backup options you want. (see screenshots below)

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Hemimax, Nov 5, 2016
  2. Jerry8AB Win User

File History - Does not turn off

I have turned OFF File History. When I check Task Schedule history dates, it shows the listings of having backed up File History. Why is that? I use Windows 10

I do have File History as a scheduled event, but the set scheduled times do not coincide with the history dates. Moreover, by turning OFF File History it would seem the schedule setting should not work.

Jerry

Jerry8AB, Nov 5, 2016
  3. jovabe Win User
    Permanently Disable File History Backup

In windows 10 go to File history and turn back up off

jovabe, Nov 5, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Hemimax, *Smile

I always say use whatever works best for your needs.

File History runs more often, but that will help make sure that changes to your files are kept backed up more often to be able to restore previous versions of these files as needed.

Personally, I don't use any backup features or programs since I only need to just manually copy and paste what I want backed up to a separate hard drive. This makes it much easier and more compatible to restore.

Brink, Nov 5, 2016
  5. Hemimax Win User
    Thanks for sharing your experience.

It is probably overkill but I to prefer using multiple HDD's for images and copies of folders beyond the weekly backups.

As always, I certainly enjoy reading your tutorials and finding new ideas.

Hemimax, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Turn On or Off File History in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Turn Off File

2. Clipboard history even when history is turned off?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clipboard history even when history is turned off?: Hello,So I tried copying something and I got a pop-up '24 of 24 - Clipboard Item not collected...'.Btw why is this notification not in my notifications?? Ah, yes that is the MS way.Ok fair enough, but what surprised me was that seemingly there is some collection of copied...
  3. Clipboard history even when history is turned off?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Clipboard history even when history is turned off?: Hello,So I tried copying something and I got a pop-up '24 of 24 - Clipboard Item not collected...'.Btw why is this notification not in my notifications?? Ah, yes that is the MS way.Ok fair enough, but what surprised me was that seemingly there is some collection of copied...
  4. History off how to turn it ON

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    History off how to turn it ON: simple solution to turning file history on so I can back up to cloud https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/history-off-how-to-turn-it-on/06d95968-eeea-4458-bdc5-68bc3592f331
  5. How to Turn On/Off and Clear Clipboard History in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to Turn On/Off and Clear Clipboard History in Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]The Windows 10 Cloud Clipboard feature lets you have a list of multiple copied text in place so you can reuse it. That said, we know for a fact all Clipboard Data is cleared every time the computer restarts, but [...] This post How to Turn On/Off and Clear...
  6. turn off windows 10 desktop history

in Windows 10 Customization
    turn off windows 10 desktop history: Please tell me how I can turn off the desktop display with my history showing. My desktop is erratic, the mouse jumps all over the place, desktop history expands to 9 items on desktop and shrinks if I try to click on it. I just want my regular desktop with no history...
  7. Turn On or Off Device and Search History in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Device and Search History in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Device and Search History in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Device and Search History for On-device Searches in Windows 10 taskbar to find help, apps, files, settingsyou name it. You can also get quick answers from the weblike weather, stock...
  8. Turn On or Off Clipboard History in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Clipboard History in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Clipboard History in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Clipboard History in Windows 10 Copy paste its something we all do, probably multiple times a day. But what do you do if you need to copy the same few things again and again? How do you copy...
  9. Turn On or Off Collect Activity History in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Collect Activity History in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Collect Activity History for Timeline in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Collect Activity History for Timeline in Windows 10 Starting with Windows 10 build 17040, Microsoft added settings that let you to view and manage your activity history....
  10. Turn On or Off Cortana Browsing History Permissions in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Cortana Browsing History Permissions in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Cortana Browsing History Permissions in Windows 10 Turn On or Off Cortana Using Your Microsoft Edge Browsing History in Windows 10 Cortana is your cloud-based personal assistant that works across your devices and other Microsoft services....