Windows 10: Turn On or Off Filter Keys in Windows 10

Discus and support Turn On or Off Filter Keys in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Turn On or Off Filter Keys in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Filter Keys in Windows 10 Filter Keys is an Accessibility option that you... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by xboxhaxorz, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Turn On or Off Filter Keys in Windows 10

How to: Turn On or Off Filter Keys in Windows 10

How to Turn On or Off Filter Keys in Windows 10

Filter Keys is an Accessibility option that you can use to control the keyboard repeat rate and ignore repeated keys.

When Filter Keys is turned on, you can also turn on and adjust Bounce Keys, Slow Keys, and Repeat Keys.
    • Bounce Keys - You may "bounce" keys, resulting in double strokes of the same key or other similar errors. BounceKeys instructs Windows to ignore unintended keystrokes.
    • Slow Keys - The sensitivity of the keyboard can be a problem, especially if you strike keys accidentally. SlowKeys instructs Windows to disregard keys that are not held down for a certain period of time.
    • Repeat Keys - Most keyboards allow you to repeat a key just by holding it down. If you cannot lift your fingers off the keyboard quickly enough, this can result in unintentionally repeated characters. RepeatKeys lets you adjust the repeat rate or disable it altogether.
    This tutorial will show you how to turn on or off Filter Keys and adjust its settings for your account in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Turn On Filter Keys using Keyboard Shortcut
    • Option Two: Turn On or Off Filter Keys and Adjust Settings in Settings
    • Option Three: Turn On or Off Filter Keys and Adjust Settings in Control Panel

OPTION ONE [/i] Turn On Filter Keys using Keyboard Shortcut
    1. Press and hold the right Shift key for eight seconds to turn on Filter Keys.

*note The keyboard shortcut will only work if turned on in Option Two or step 5C of Option Three. It is turned on by default.

2. By default, a sound (high pitch) will play indicating Filter Keys was turned on.

*note The sound will only play if turned on in step 5C of Option Three. It is turned on by default.

3. Click/tap on Yes if prompted by the warning message below to turn on Filter Keys.

*note The warning message will only show if turned on in step 5C of Option Three. It is turned on by default.

Turn On or Off Filter Keys in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION TWO [/i] Turn On or Off Filter Keys and Adjust Settings in Settings
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Ease of Access icon.

2. Do step 3 (on) or step 4 (off) below for what you would like to do.

3. To Turn On Filter Keys and Adjust Settings
    A) Click/tap on Keyboard on the left side, and turn on Ignore brief or repeated keystrokes and change keyboard repeat rates under Use Filter Keys on the right side. (see screenshots below)

B) Check (on- default) or uncheck (off) Allow the shortcut key to start Filter Keys for what you want.

C) Check (on- default) or uncheck (off) Show the Filter Keys icon on the taskbar for what you want.

D) Check (on- default) or uncheck (off) Beep when keys are pressed or accepted for what you want.

E) Turn on or off (default) Turn on Bounce Keys to wait before accepting additional keystrokes when you press the same key more than once for what you want.

*note If turned on, Choose how long your PC waits before accepting repeated keystrokes in seconds.

F) Turn on or off (default) Turn on Slow Keys to make your PC wait before accepting keystrokes for what you want.

*note If turned on, Choose how long your PC waits before accepting a keystroke in seconds.

G) Turn on or off (default) Turn on Repeat Keys to delay repeated keystrokes when you press and hold down on a key for what you want.

*note If turned on, Choose how long your PC waits before accepting the first repeated keystroke and Choose how long your PC waits before accepting subsequent repeated keystrokes in seconds.

H) When finished, go to step 5 below.

4. To Turn Off Filter Keys and Adjust Settings
    A) Click/tap on Keyboard on the left side, turn off Ignore brief or repeated keystrokes and change keyboard repeat rates under Use Filter Keys on the right side. (see screenshot below)

B) Check (on- default) or uncheck (off) Allow the shortcut key to start Filter Keys for what you want.

C) When finished, go to step 5 below.

5. When finished, you can close Settings if you like.

OPTION THREE [/i] Turn On or Off Filter Keys and Adjust Settings in Control Panel
    1. Open the Control Panel (icons view), and click/tap on the Ease of Access Center icon.

2. Click/tap on either the Make the keyboard easier to use or Make it easier to focus on tasks settings link. (see screenshot below)

3. Do step 4 (on/off) or step 5 (settings) below for what you would like to do.

4. To Turn On or Off Filter Keys
    A) Check (on) or uncheck (off - default) Turn on Filter Keys under Make it easier to type for what you want. (see screenshot below)

B) Click/tap on OK, and go to step 6 below.

5. To Adjust Settings for Filter Keys
    A) Click/tap on the Set up Filter Keys link under Turn on Filter Keys under Make it easier to type. (see screenshot below)

B) Check (on) or uncheck (off - default) Turn on Filter Keys for what you want. (see screenshots below)

C) Under Keyboard shortcut, check (on- default) or uncheck (off) Turn on Filter Keys when right SHIFT is pressed for 8 seconds for what you want.
    • Check (on- default) or uncheck (off) Display a warning message when turning a setting on for what you want.
    • Check (on- default) or uncheck (off) Make a sound when turning a setting on or off for what you want.
    D) Under Filter options, select (dot) either Turn on Bounce Keys or Turn on Repeat Keys and Slow Keys for what you want.

*note If you selected Bounce Keys, choose How long should the computer wait before accepting keystrokes in seconds.

*note If you selected Repeat Keys and Slow Keys, click/tap on the Set up Repeat Keys and Slow Keys link to change these settings to what you want, and click/tap on OK.

E) Under Other settings, check (on- default) or uncheck (off) Beep when keys are pressed or accepted for what you want.

F) Under Other settings, check (on- default) or uncheck (off) Display the Filter Keys icon on the taskbar for what you want.

G) When finished, click/tap on OK, and go to step 6 below.

6. When finished, you can close the Ease of Access Center if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

xboxhaxorz, Aug 9, 2017
  2. Yolvi Ell Win User

Filter Keys

Hi,

Filter Keys are part of the Ease of Access features in Windows 10 that can help users control the keypress repeat rate and ignore the repeated keys. This setting can be disabled by following these steps:

• Click Start.
    • Type Control Panel and press Enter.
    • Click Ease of Access.
    • Click Change how your keyboard works.
    • Click Set up Filter Keys.
    • Uncheck Turn on Filter Keys when right SHIFT is pressed for 8 seconds.
    • Uncheck Turn on Filter Keys.
    • Click Apply.
    • Click OK.
    • Restart your computer.

Let us know if you were able to turn Filter Keys off after following these steps.

----

If you think this was useful, you may "mark it as an answer" to help those who are facing the same problem.

Yolvi Ell, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Anne Fuj Win User
    Cannot keep Filter Keys turned off in settings using accessibility version of windows 10

Hello Jerry,

Thank you for getting back to us with the results.

We apologize for the delay as we are checking in your case thoroughly.

Since the above methods did not change anything, kindly follow the steps below on we can turn off filter keys in Windows 10:

• Open the Control Panel and change the view to Large icons, and then click Ease of Access Center.
    • Scroll down to the Explore all settings section, then click Make the keyboard easier to use.
    • In the window that shows up, uncheck the boxes for “Turn on Sticky Keys” and “Turn on Filter Keys” to turn off the Sticky / Filter Keys features.

• To prevent Windows from popping up the Sticky / Filter Keys popup dialog, you also need to disable the corresponding keyboard shortcuts.
      • Disable Sticky Keys Keyboard Shortcut
        Click the Set up Sticky Keys link. In the Sticky Keys setup screen, uncheck the box for “Turn on Sticky Keys when SHIFT is pressed five times“.
      • Disable Filter Keys Keyboard Shortcut
        Click the Set up Filter Keys link. In the Filter Keys setup screen, uncheck the option for “Turn on Filter Keys when right SHIFT is pressed for 8 seconds“.
    • Click OK to save your changes. Now you’ve successfully turned off both Sticky Keys and Filter Keys permanently in Windows 10.

Update us with the result so we can further assist you.

Anne Fuj, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Turn On or Off Filter Keys in Windows 10

windows 10 key

Thanks but I don't want to do any decrypting. I want to download a Win 10 ISO from Microsoft and install it using my Win 8 key. No other steps required. Is that possible?

Easy Rhino, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Installing Windows 10 using Windows 7 key

Nope, you need to install Windows 10 first and make sure the Windows 7 key is transferred to your Windows account after you've installed Windows 10 (not quite sure how that works). I missed the last step and I could not activate Windows 10 after a re-install... Microsoft seem to have done everything they can to make it a PITA. Also, it's technically too late to do this now anyhow, as the upgrade offer has expired. But KMSPico works quite well...

As for getting rid of Windows, delete the Windows folder.

TheLostSwede, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Windows 10, Filter Keys

I have done all of the things that you suggested. No luck. My feeling is that a change in the registry will be the only thing that will work.

PeterHanish, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Turn On or Off Filter Keys in Windows 10

1. Turn On or Off Filter Keys in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Turn Off Filter

2. Why do I need to turn off filter keys to allow keys to repeat.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why do I need to turn off filter keys to allow keys to repeat.: I accidentally pressed the shift key for more than 8 seconds. After I did this, my keyboard would not repeat when I press and hold down a key.Changing the repeat delay or the repeat rate does not fix this. Rebooting doesn't wprk. I found that Jim Boston's solution in the...
  3. Why do I need to turn off filter keys to allow keys to repeat.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why do I need to turn off filter keys to allow keys to repeat.: I accidentally pressed the shift key for more than 8 seconds. After I did this, my keyboard would not repeat when I press and hold down a key.Changing the repeat delay or the repeat rate does not fix this. Rebooting doesn't wprk. I found that Jim Boston's solution in the...
  4. I WOULD LIKE TO TURN OFF THE PROFANITY FILTER IN WINDOWS. WINDOWS KEY + H

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I WOULD LIKE TO TURN OFF THE PROFANITY FILTER IN WINDOWS. WINDOWS KEY + H: I WOULD LIKE TO TURN OFF THE PROFANITY FILTER IN WINDOWS. WINDOWS KEY + H https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-would-like-to-turn-off-the-profanity-filter-in/2a4b6572-fa05-4908-97a9-708f13cd5058
  5. Filter keys not turning off

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Filter keys not turning off: So, basically I try to do anything but filter keys is on so I go to the little startup thing to turn it off, and its already off, so I press shift 5 times, nothing I hols shift for 8 seconds, nothing WHAT DO I DO submitted by /u/that-drawinguy [link] [comments]...
  6. How to turn on or off Filter Keys in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to turn on or off Filter Keys in Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Microsoft has done a lot of work when it comes to Accessibility. It’s a way where software features can help people with physical issues. Filter Keys is one such feature which tells the keyboard to ignore repeated keystrokes. People with [...] This post How...
  7. Windows 10 keyboard repeat filter keys won't stay turned off

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 keyboard repeat filter keys won't stay turned off: I'm running Windows 10 Pro ver 1803. All of a sudden the filter key for keyboard repeat rates will not stay off. Everytime I reboot I have to go into settings and turn it off again. Does 1809 solve that problem? 125778
  8. Windows 10 keyboard repeat filter keys won't stay turned off

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 keyboard repeat filter keys won't stay turned off: I'm running Windows 10 Pro ver 1803. All of a sudden the filter key for keyboard repeat rates will not stay off. Everytime I reboot I have to go into settings and turn it off again. Does 1809 solve that problem? 125778
  9. Turn off SmartScreen Filter in Windows 10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Turn off SmartScreen Filter in Windows 10: Hi, According to this page: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...=vs.85%29.aspx Navigate to section :: "To turn off Turn on SmartScreen Filter to check web content (URLs) that Windows Store apps use:" I have created a .bat file with the following contents:...
  10. Turn On or Off Color Filters to the Screen in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Color Filters to the Screen in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Color Filters to the Screen in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Color Filters to the Screen in Windows 10 Starting with Windows 10 build 16215, Windows 10 now includes color filters at the system level, including filters designed to make it easier...