Windows 10: Turn On or Off HDR and WCG Color for a Display in Windows 10

Discus and support Turn On or Off HDR and WCG Color for a Display in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Turn On or Off HDR and WCG Color for a Display in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off HDR and WCG Color for a Display in Windows 10 With... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by srdjan1995, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Turn On or Off HDR and WCG Color for a Display in Windows 10

How to: Turn On or Off HDR and WCG Color for a Display in Windows 10

How to Turn On or Off HDR and WCG Color for a Display in Windows 10

With Windows HD Color in Windows 10, you get the most of out your high dynamic range (HDR) TV or PC display. When you connect your HDR10-capable TV or display to a Windows 10 PC that supports HDR and wide color gamut (WCG), youll get a brighter, more vibrant, and more detailed picture compared to a standard dynamic range (SDR) display.

This includes photos, videos, and games.

See also:
    This tutorial will show you how to turn on or off HDR (high dynamic range) and WCG (wide color gamut) color for a HDR10-capable display in Windows 10.

Here's How:

1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the System icon.

2. Click/tap on Display on the left side, and click/tap on the Windows HD Color settings link on the right side. (see screenshot below)

Turn On or Off HDR and WCG Color for a Display in Windows 10 [​IMG]

3. If you have multiple displays connected to your PC, select the HDR-capable display you want in the Select a display to view or change the settings for it drop down menu under Choose display. (see screenshot below)

4. Turn on (default) or off HDR and WCG for what you want.

5. You can now close Settings if you like.

Turn On or Off HDR and WCG Color for a Display in Windows 10 [​IMG]

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

srdjan1995, Jul 15, 2015
  2. Carlo Fer Win User

HDR WCG won't enable on Windows 10

Hi Chris,

Have you installed the latest graphics drivers? You may also check the Nvidia site for the latest drivers and follow their instructions.

If you’re having problems displaying HDR content, you can try the steps outlined in this support article:
    HDR and WCG color settings in Windows 10.

For more information about HDR requirements, please refer to this support article:
    Display requirements for HDR in Windows 10.

Update us with results for further assistance.

Carlo Fer, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Unable to Turn On HDR WCG on Windows 10

Hi Sam,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Please refer the suggestions from Carlo
    Fer dated May 29, 2018
    regarding the issue with HDR and WCG which you aren’t able to turn on.

Hope it helps.

Muralidhar

Microsoft Community Moderator

Muralidhar_G, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Turn On or Off HDR and WCG Color for a Display in Windows 10

I could turn on the HDR and WCG setting on initially today when I connected a new HDR TV.

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are unable to turn on HDR and WCG color settings in Windows 10. This issue might occur due to incompatible drivers.

I suggest you to roll back the display drivers and check if that helps. Refer the steps mentioned below:

1. Press 'Windows
    + R' key together on your Keyboard.

2. Type 'devmgmt.msc' and hit enter.

3. Expand the display adapter option from the list.

4. Right click on the driver and click on 'Properties'.

5. Click on 'Driver' tab and check for 'Roll Back Driver'. If the roll back option is available, roll back the driver and restart the
    computer.

If you are still facing issues with color after enabling HDR on your PC and if you’re using an HDMI connection and your display supports HDR over a DisplayPort connection, use DisplayPort instead to connect your PC and display.

• If HDMI is your only option, use that, and then do one of the following:

Reduce the frame rate

1. Select Settings > System > Display > Advanced display settings, and then select Display adapter properties.
      2. In the display’s Properties box, select the Monitor tab, select 30 Hertz for the Screen refresh rate, and then select OK.

- OR -

Reduce the resolution

1. Select Settings > System > Display > Advanced display settings, and then select Display adapter properties
      2. On the Adapter tab, select List All Modes.

In List All Modes, select the setting that includes 1920 by 1080, 60 Hertz, and then select OK.

Hope it helps.

Sandeep Kumar M

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Sandeep_KM, Oct 27, 2019
  5. chris_tm Win User
    HDR WCG won't enable on Windows 10

MSI 43GSVR 7Re laptop with 6gb Nvidia 1060

Samsung 32hg70 monitor

HDMI 2.0 connected to laptop using only Samsung monitor as display

HDR WCG is an available option to turn on (SDR slider is greyed out for some reason) - once turned on, Windows 10 asks 'Do you want to keep these settings?" Choose Yes,
    but HDR WCG remains off.

Both the 1060 and monitor are HDR capable. Both laptop and monitor are HDMI 2.0

Any thoughts on why HDR won't turn on?

chris_tm, Oct 27, 2019
  6. I could turn on the HDR and WCG setting on initially today when I connected a new HDR TV.

I had some color issues that went away when I turned HDR and WCG off. I updated my Nvidia driver. I can not turn on HDR and WCG. As soon as I click to turn it on, the screen refreshes and resets it to OFF. What is going on? Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070.

I researched this problem and ran dxdiag in response to a microsoft forum article. I received the following, only pertinent lines shown:

Current Mode: 3840 x 2160 (32 bit) (30Hz)

HDR Support: Supported

Monitor Model: SONY TV *00

Monitor Id: SNY8004

Native Mode: 3840 x 2160(p) (30.000Hz)

Output Type: HDMI

Monitor Capabilities: HDR Supported (BT2020RGB BT2020YCC Eotf2084Supported )

Display Pixel Format: DISPLAYCONFIG_PIXELFORMAT_32BPP

Advanced Color: AdvancedColorSupported

PaulSulsky, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Turn On or Off HDR and WCG Color for a Display in Windows 10

1. Turn On or Off HDR and WCG Color for a Display in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Turn Off HDR

2. Hdr turns off

in Windows 10 Customization
    Hdr turns off: I am on a Gaming Pc to be Exact its my tower hooked to a 4k UHD TV but when I turn HDR on and try to play a game for example, Minecraft it turns itself off https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hdr-turns-off/8503274d-b9ff-4f6c-9b16-853a419b6c5b
  3. Unable to Turn On HDR WCG on Windows 10

Unable to Turn On HDR WCG on Windows 10: what gives. i've seen this post as in issue for over a year... i have this issue. should i dump nvidia and go with the mother board hdmi port (intel i7 8700). all componants are to spec, cables, hdmi ver. all docs says it supported, but yet only 30hz works on windows 10...
  4. HDR WCG Option suddenly gone from Display Settings

HDR WCG Option suddenly gone from Display Settings: Here is my setup: Ryzen 2600X Sapphire RX 580 8GB Pulse ASROCK X370 Taichi ADATA SX800 M.2 NVME 480GB SSD 16 GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200Mhz CAS 14 Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W I just finished this build last week, got everything I wanted installed, Windows fully...
  5. Troubleshoot common HDR and WCG color problems in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Troubleshoot common HDR and WCG color problems in Windows 10: [ATTACH] Windows 10 1803 rolled out better high-dynamic-range (HDR) display and wide color gamut (WCG) support. Just before we start, you need to have an HDR capable display or TV which can show a wider range of colors. This is especially useful when [...] This post...
  6. HDR and WCG in Windows 10 PRO

HDR and WCG in Windows 10 PRO: Problems with turning on HDR and WCG in Windows 10, the image is constantly changing and at some point it gets stuck without having access to the content on the display. This problem intensifies when i try to watch a movie on Netflix, or play a game on PC! I use Windows 10...
  7. HDR and WCG in Windows 10

HDR and WCG in Windows 10: Problems with turning on HDR and WCG in Windows 10, the image is constantly changing and at some point it gets stuck without having access to the content on the display. This problem intensifies when i try to watch a movie on Netflix, or play a game on PC! I use Windows 10...
  8. HDR and WCG in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HDR and WCG in Windows 10: Problems with turning on HDR and WCG in Windows 10, the image is constantly changing and at some point it gets stuck without having access to the content on the display. This problem intensifies when i try to watch a movie on Netflix, or play a game on PC! I use Windows 10...
  9. HDR and WCG are disabled but my Computer+TV are HDR/WCG capable

HDR and WCG are disabled but my Computer+TV are HDR/WCG capable: The option HDR/WCG is not available under Windows 10 RS4 and disabled under Win10 RS5 build 17713. In here my equipment: Display TV: Samsung TV UHD HDR UE55MU7005TXXC (w/latest firmware: 1221.0). UHD Color function is active for HDMI. HDMI Cable: UGreen 4K HDR 60Hz Cable...
  10. Turn On or Off Stream HDR video for a Display on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Stream HDR video for a Display on Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Stream HDR video for a Display on Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Stream HDR video for a Display on Windows 10 You will be able to play streaming high dynamic range (HDR) video when your Windows 10 device has a display thats optimized for HDR...