Windows 10: Turn On or Off Hey Cortana in Windows 10

Discus and support Turn On or Off Hey Cortana in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Turn On or Off Hey Cortana in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Hey Cortana in Windows 10 Cortana is your cloud-based personal assistant... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by hTconeM9user, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Turn On or Off Hey Cortana in Windows 10

How to: Turn On or Off Hey Cortana in Windows 10

How to Turn On or Off Hey Cortana in Windows 10

Cortana is your cloud-based personal assistant that works across your devices and other Microsoft services. Depending on the capabilities of your device and the version of Cortana youre using, Cortana can provide a range of features, some of which are personalized. Cortana on Windows is available in certain regions and languages. If Cortana isnt available for your Windows device, you can still search for files on your device in the search box on the taskbar. Cortana is also available on other platforms, such as Android and iOS, in select markets.

Cortana works best when you sign in and let her use data from your device, other Microsoft services, and third-party services you choose to connect. To provide you with personalized experiences, Cortana learns from certain data about you, such as your searches, calendar, contacts, and location. Youre in control of how much data you share. If you choose not to sign into Cortana on Windows, you can still chat with Cortana and use her to help you search the web, documents stored in Microsoft services like OneDrive, and your Windows device. See the section about Windows Search in the Privacy Statement for more information. If you dont sign in, or you choose to sign out, your experiences will be more limited and they wont be personalized with your Cortana data. On iOS and Android devices, Cortana only works when you sign in.

For more information about Cortana, see:
    Starting with Windows 10 build 10547, you can now use Cortana with local accounts as well as with a Microsoft account.

This tutorial will show you how to turn on or off to let Cortana hear and respond anytime you or anyone says 'Hey Cortana' in your account in Windows 10.

*note You will need to sign in to Cortana with your Microsoft account to be able to turn on "Hey Cortana".

You will need to turn on online speech recognition services to be able to turn on "Hey Cortana".

You will need to have a compatible microphone connected to your PC to be able to use "Hey Cortana". If your microphone was not designed for Cortana, you may be asked if you would like to try to set up the mic anyway.

Turn On or Off Hey Cortana in Windows 10 [​IMG]

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Turn On or Off Hey Cortana in Cortana Settings
    • Option Two: To Turn On or Off Hey Cortana using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Hey Cortana

OPTION ONE [/i] To Turn On or Off Hey Cortana in Cortana Settings

1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Cortana or Cortana & Search (build 17623) icon.

2. Do step 3 (on) or step 4 (off) below for what you would like to do.

3. To Turn On Hey Cortana
    A) Click/tap on Talk to Cortana on the left side, and turn on Let Cortana respond to "Hey Cortana" on the right side. (see screenshot below)

B) Check or uncheck Keep by device from sleeping when it's plugged in so I can always say "Hey Cortana" (unless I turn it off myself).

C) Select (dot) Cortana to Respond when anyone says "Hey Cortana" or Try to respond only to me.

*note Respond when anyone says "Hey Cortana" = Cortana will respond to anyone that says "Hey Cortana", but Cortana may not be able recognize everyone's voice pattern.

Try to respond only to me = Cortana will respond to only when you say "Hey Cortana". Cortana needs to learn your voice to respond best to you, so you will need to click/tap on Learn how I say "Hey Cortana" before you will be able to select To me. If Cortana doesn't always respond to when you say "Hey Cortana", then you can click/tap on Relearn my voice to see if that may help.

4. To Turn Off Hey Cortana
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on Talk to Cortana on the left side, and turn off Let Cortana respond to "Hey Cortana" on the right side. (see screenshot below)

OPTION TWO [/i] To Turn On or Off Hey Cortana using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD in the registry key below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Speech_OneCore\Preferences

VoiceActivationOn DWORD

0 = Off
    1 = On

1. Do step 2 (on) or step 3 (off) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Turn On Hey Cortana
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_ON_Hey_Cortana.reg

Download

3. Turn Off Hey Cortana
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_OFF_Hey_Cortana.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

hTconeM9user, Jan 6, 2016
  2. Andre Da Costa, Jan 6, 2016
  3. Sumit Dhiman2, Jan 6, 2016
Thema:

Turn On or Off Hey Cortana in Windows 10

1. Turn On or Off Hey Cortana in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Turn Off Hey

2. Hey Cortana

in Cortana
    Hey Cortana: Two days ago, I had Hey Cortana. It was set up and running fine. Cortana appeared in Settings and all was well. Yesterday, I had the old version back and had to sign back in. Cortana had disappeared from Settings and the "Hey Cortana" option was gone. Cortana is now...
  3. Hey cortana

in Cortana
    Hey cortana: Hi guys. I can not change the setting for Let cortana respond to "hey cortana" It is off at the moment. I can find the setting to change it but it is not lit up and i can not click on it. I have attached a picture. Please help. Thanks [IMG]...
  4. Hey, Cortana!

in Cortana
    Hey, Cortana!: Apparently I can´t find nowhere the settings for the command Hey, Cortana! Did they disabled the feature? Windows 10 home -ver. 1909 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hey-cortana/ed5cc79b-5cb3-4ae3-90e6-bfbc87aa32a7"
  5. "Hey Cortana" going off randomly in Windows 10

in Cortana
    "Hey Cortana" going off randomly in Windows 10: I turned on "Hey Cortana" on my PC so I can summon her without having to click the icon. It works fine, but every once in awhile it will go off automatically and interrupt what I'm doing. No audio playing on the PC sounds anything remotely close to "Cortana". Here are my PC's...
  6. turn off cortana

in Cortana
    turn off cortana: Since 1903 update moments ago in windows 10 that annoying, useless Cortana is back on. How to turn OFF cortana yet keep the search button/bar. Or, even better yet, how to uninstall version 1903...
  7. hey cortana won't turn on

in Cortana
    hey cortana won't turn on: cortana won't turn on https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hey-cortana-wont-turn-on/f5c2fd39-4f1d-4b51-95e8-8b8e2a533658"
  8. Hey cortana

in Cortana
    Hey cortana: I have a Lumia 650 mobile. How can I get hey Cortana installed, I have Cortana but I want the 'upgraded version'. Any ideas? Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hey-cortana/5e3f71c9-490c-48c4-b72b-7477f09acd77"
  9. turn off cortana

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    turn off cortana: Just updated to Win10 v14366. How do I turn off Cortana? 53946
  10. Turn off Cortana

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Turn off Cortana: I want to turn off Cortana but it is not listed in the Local Group Policy. 104369

Users found this page by searching for:

1. download the “Hey Cortana” Registry file

2. Changes to cortana in windows 10 1903

3. windows 10 version 1903 wsearch is disabled

4. cortana not working anymore 1903