Windows 10: Turn On or Off Let Windows 10 Manage Default Printer

Discus and support Turn On or Off Let Windows 10 Manage Default Printer in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Turn On or Off Let Windows 10 Manage Default Printer [img] Information Starting in Windows 10 build 10565, Microsoft is introducing a new... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by rltidd27, Dec 9, 2015.

1. rltidd27 Win User

Turn On or Off Let Windows 10 Manage Default Printer

How to: Turn On or Off Let Windows 10 Manage Default Printer

Turn On or Off Let Windows 10 Manage Default Printer [​IMG]
    Information Starting in Windows 10 build 10565, Microsoft is introducing a new mode that makes your default printer the last printer you used most recently at your current location. This change helps ensure the best printer is preselected in inbox print dialogs.

This tutorial will show you how to turn on or off to let Windows manage your default printer for your account in Windows 10.

Note If you set a printer as default, it will turn off let Windows manage your default printer.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Turn On or Off Let Windows 10 Manage Default Printer in Settings
    • Option Two: To Turn On or Off Let Windows 10 Manage Default Printer using a REG File

OPTION ONE [/i] To Turn On or Off Let Windows 10 Manage Default Printer in Settings
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Devices icon.

2. Click/tap on Printers & scanners on the left side, and check (on - default) or uncheck (off) Let Windows manage my default printer for what you want on the right side. (see screenshot below)

3. When finished, you can close Settings if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Turn On or Off Let Windows 10 Manage Default Printer using a REG File

Note The .reg files below make changes to the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows

LegacyDefaultPrinterMode DWORD

0= on
    1 = off

1. Do step 2 (on) or step 3 (off) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Turn On Let Windows 10 Manage Default Printer
    NOTE: This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_On_Let_Windows_Manage_My_Default_Printer.reg

Download

3. To Turn Off Let Windows 10 Manage Default Printer
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_Off_Let_Windows_Manage_My_Default_Printer.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. If prompted, click on Run, OK (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

rltidd27, Dec 9, 2015
  2. SOISK Win User
  3. Windows 10 keeps turning on last printer default after I turn it off

Original title: windows 10 last printer default

Windows 10 keeps turning on last printer default after I turn it off. I then have to go back into settings< Devices< Printers scroll down to Let Windows manage my default printers
    I turn it off, next morning it is back on. I do not turn computer off at night. Is there a way to permanently delete this toggle?

TimSturdevant, Dec 9, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Rick, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

Is this happening after installing Windows Updates by chance? If so, they have been resetting settings back to default lately.

Brink, Dec 10, 2015
  5. jfreemont Win User
    I take it there is no Group Policy for this yet?

jfreemont, Dec 10, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    I haven't seen one yet. *Sad

Brink, Dec 10, 2015
  7. caveman88 Win User
    This started with Build 1511. I have a landland attached fax modem I use to send info to the doctor. When I started using it after the build, my next print job wanted to go to the fax. I reset the default and all was good until I sent another fax. Glad I looked.

Not sure that this is a good default. I have lots of software type printers ( one for PDFs, one for Kindle, etc) and I really want the actual printer to be the default. Hence the word default.

I changed the setting to let me decide.

Z

caveman88, Dec 14, 2015
  8. caveman88 Win User

Blink - I notice in a lot of your threads , you offer the option of using the Settings process to change a configuration but you like to add a second option of using registry changes.

Depending on the change, I have been using both options. I am just wondering why you give the choice and which one id the preferred choice.

When I installed the new Build last month, I found out that I had to recheck most of my changes because some of them reverted back to the old way or simply were not there any more. I am up to keeping a file of the changes so I can reapply them.

I definitely want to thank you for all the work that you do. You have helped saved me many times so far!!

Z

caveman88, Dec 14, 2015
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hey Z, *Smile

I'm glad that they could help.

I like to provide different options for performing the same action. There's no preferred option since they do the same thing, but I'd say do whatever option you feel is easier for you.

Having multiple options for the same action could be helpful. If you are unable to use one of the options for whatever reason, you will have another option to use instead.

The .reg file options can also allow folks to save them, and use them all at once say after a clean install so they don't have to go into Settings or wherever to set them.

Brink, Dec 14, 2015
  10. rltidd27 Win User
    Since I have home, I have no choice it installs updates automatically.
    It was fixed for a while, but it is once again turning itself back on automatically.
    No updates since 12/2/15 according to view updates in programs and features.

rltidd27, Dec 28, 2015
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Rick,

The update most likely reset the setting back to default. There had been a few lately that has done this.

If it's still turning itself on after doing the options in this tutorial again, then use the Find and Find Next feature in Registry Editor (regedit.exe) to search for all LegacyDefaultPrinterMode DWORD instances, and make sure each one found is set to 1. You may have one at the HKLM location as well.

Brink, Dec 28, 2015
  12. tremore Win User
    Hi to all.

I still having this annoing problem with shared printers.

I have done all the fixes suggested but only solved the default printer change with network printers.

The user that share a printer lose the default printer in any case when another user print on this shared and it turn immediatly default printer only for the user that share the printer.

The printer shared is a label printer without network port and all was working very well before this , in my opinion, unusefull improve.

All user have the " not manage default option" , win 10 pro but seems that "default option" do not effect at all with shared printers.

It is clear that is a very bad working for the sharing printer user that have to check every time what the actual default printer.

any suggestion or is is a win 10 bug ?

ciao

tremore, Feb 27, 2016
  13. rltidd27 Win User

I finally figured out that everytime I sign in with gotomypc, it changes windows back to let windows manage my default printer. They have agreed with me that their program is causing my problem, and are working on a fix.
    Have a GREAT day!
    Rick

rltidd27, Feb 27, 2016
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Thank you for sharing your findings Rick. Hopefully, they'll get their program patched soon. *Smile

Brink, Feb 27, 2016
  15. epsroaks Win User
    This is my work computer. This has happened once before and I switched off the "Let Windows manage my default printer". Then: I could not print the my most used spreadsheet from Excel 2003. I could not print it as a PDF or a JPG. It would not print!

So I switched it back to the ON position and it still would not print for a few days. It just happened to work after about a week. And yes, I rebooted my computer many times to no avail.

It just started to print again out of the clear blue.

So today I am working in our works database program and out of the blue, the printer I used yesterday and ever since that problem above, happened again! Windows 10 changed my default printer to a card printer instead of the 8.5 x 11 printer. Explain that?!?!?! I did print off a card just before but I didn't make any changes to my default printer. But Windows 10 decided I wanted to use a Card printer for an 8.5 x 11 inch page from another program.

epsroaks, Mar 14, 2016
Thema:

1. Turn On or Off Let Windows 10 Manage Default Printer - Similar Threads - Turn Off Let

2. Group Policy - Disable Let Windows Manage My Default Printer AND prevent Re-Enable

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Group Policy - Disable Let Windows Manage My Default Printer AND prevent Re-Enable: I know that I can navigate to:User Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\Printersand enable:Turn off Windows default printer managementbut this does not prevent users, applications, things from re-enabling it.Is it possible to prevent this setting from...
  3. let windows manage your printer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    let windows manage your printer: should i switch on let windows manage my default printer. As i use 2 different printersone usb and one wifi at different locations in a day. or should i prefer to manual settings...
  4. let windows manage your printer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    let windows manage your printer: should i switch on let windows manage my default printer. As i use 2 different printersone usb and one wifi at different locations in a day. or should i prefer to manual settings...
  5. Windows 10 update turns off Bluetooth be default

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 update turns off Bluetooth be default: After the latest Windows 10 update, Bluetooth is turned off by default. This makes it inconvenient every time I wish to use a Bluetooth device. Before this latest update, Bluetooth was On by default and I didn't have to turn it on before using a Bluetooth device. How do I...
  6. Let Windows Manage my Default Printer not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Let Windows Manage my Default Printer not working: We have several Surface Laptop 2's with Win 10 Enterprise installed. On all of them, the "Let Windows Manage my Default Printer" option in Settings does not work. You can check the box but Windows will not change the default printer as it should. Same image is on all of our...
  7. Printers Keep Defaulting To Local Printers Let Windows Manage Printer Is Off

Printers Keep Defaulting To Local Printers Let Windows Manage Printer Is Off: Hi, We have a bunch of people that their printer keeps switching from a defaulted network printer, printing from a print server on a domain controller to a locally installed printer. We use group policy preferences to add the printer to the user profile and let windows...
  8. Default Printer Problem -- "Manage my default printer = OFF"

Default Printer Problem -- "Manage my default printer = OFF": Help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I understand that Windows 10 has a new feature that automatically sets your effective default printer to the last device used (unless you explicitly turn OFF the "Let Windows manage my default printer" feature). I have turned this feature OFF (and...
  9. Shared printer problem with windows 10 printer default manage

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Shared printer problem with windows 10 printer default manage: Hi to all. I am having an annoing problem with shared printers. The user that share a printer lose the default printer in any case when another user print on this shared and it turn immediatly default printer only for the user that share the printer. The printer...
  10. Turn On or Off File and Printer Sharing in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off File and Printer Sharing in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off File and Printer Sharing in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off File and Printer Sharing in Windows 10 File and printer sharing is the ability of a computer running Windows to share a folder or attached printer with other computers on a network....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. LegacyDefaultPrinterMode hklm