Windows 10: Turn On or Off Limited Periodic Scanning in Windows 10

Discus and support Turn On or Off Limited Periodic Scanning in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Turn On or Off Windows Defender Periodic Scanning in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Periodic Scanning with Windows Defender Antivirus in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by meh, Oct 31, 2016.

1. MEH
    meh Win User

Turn On or Off Limited Periodic Scanning in Windows 10

How to: Turn On or Off Windows Defender Periodic Scanning in Windows 10

How to Turn On or Off Periodic Scanning with Windows Defender Antivirus in Windows 10

Starting with Windows 10 build 14352, a new security setting called Limited Periodic Scanning will be included.

Limited Periodic Scanning is a new security setting you can choose to turn on if you use an antivirus program other than Windows Defender. This setting can provide an additional line of defense in scanning and detecting malware on your device. Each month Microsofts Malicious Software Removal Tool detects malware on 1 to 2 million devices, even those running other antivirus software. The Limited Periodic Scanning setting can be turned on for unmanaged devices.

When turned on, Windows 10 will use the Windows Defender scanning engine to periodically scan your PC for threats and remediate them. These periodic scans will utilize Automatic Maintenanceto ensure the system chooses optimal times based on minimal impact to the user, PC performance, and energy efficiencyor customers can schedule these scans. Limited Periodic Scanning is intended to offer an additional line of defense to your existing antivirus programs real-time protection.

When Windows 10 Limited Periodic Scanning is turned ON, and even if you are NOT using Windows Defender Antivirus for your real-time protection, the Windows Defender Antivirus user interface and History tab will allow you to view any additional threats that have been detected.

When a threat is found, Windows Defender will notify you with a Windows 10 notification. In most cases, Windows Defender will also automatically take action on the threat. Clicking on the notification will open Windows Defender where you can further review the threat that was found and the action that was automatically taken.

Clicking the notification will take you to the Windows Defender Security Center, where additional actions (if required) can be taken and applied.

To read more about Limited Periodic Scanning, see:
    This tutorial will show you how to turn on or off Periodic Scanning with Windows Defender Antivirus when you have a 3rd party antivirus program installed in Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to turn on or off Limited Periodic Scanning.

Here's How:

1. Open the Windows Defender Security Center, and click/tap on the Virus & threat protection icon icon. (see screenshot below)

Turn On or Off Limited Periodic Scanning in Windows 10 [​IMG]

2. Click/tap on Windows Defender Antivirus options to expand it open, and turn On or Off (default) Periodic scanning[/B for what you want. (see screenshots below)
    Attachment 137866

Turn On or Off Limited Periodic Scanning in Windows 10 [​IMG]

3. If prompted by UAC, click/tap on Yes to approve.

4. You can now close the Windows Defender Security Center if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

2. windows defender turned off

Just out of curiosity

What other security software are you running ?

How to Turn On or Off Windows 10 Limited Periodic Scanning with Windows Defender

<<Turn On or Off Limited Periodic Scanning in Windows 10>>

`~`

José Antonio Pontón Posada CEO, Oct 31, 2016
  3. Le Boule Win User
    Le Boule, Oct 31, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello meh, *Smile

It's not uncommon to have WD disabled or parts of it disabled when you have a 3rd party AV program installed.

Brink, Oct 31, 2016
  5. MEH
    meh Win User
    I understand that, but this is not enabling WD's real-time scanning functionality, but rather only background scans. They shouldn't be turning that off behind the scenes. And even if they do, they should TELL THE USER. Or at least LOG IT. But they don't, because that's too much like doing things the right way.

Also, Avira doesn't even say that WD should be disabled:

Q: Should I deactivate Windows Defender, if I use Avira Antivirus?
    A: We recommend to deactivate the Windows Defender only if one of the Avira Antivirus modules remain inactive after the product installation.

I don't have issues with Avira components being disabled (except for the useless mail protection function, which I have manually disabled), and I don't have WD errors in my event log.

Thanks.

6. MEH
    meh Win User
    Well, well. I added "DisableAntiSpyware" (DWORD) to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender" and left it set to 0, and the "limited periodic scanning" feature has so far remained enabled. I love how I get smarter the moment I post a question on a forum.

7. Brink
    Brink New Member
  8. MEH
    meh Win User

With "Limited Periodic Scanning" enabled, Windows Defender never scans my PC automatically. Instead, I frequently see notifications in Action Center saying "Windows Defender needs to perform a scan" (or something very similar to that). I click the message and WD appears and performs its scan.

I'm using a third-party AV, of course, otherwise I would not have "Limited Periodic Scanning" enabled.

Is there a way to make it scan automatically?

9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello meh, *Smile

You might see if changing your Automatic Maintenance hours to a time you will have the PC running may help it scan more often or more reliably.

Brink, Dec 6, 2016
  10. MEH
    meh Win User
    Thanks. I have had it set for 3PM, and my PC is usually on at that time.

11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Dec 6, 2016
  12. MEH
    meh Win User
    Scheduling scans separately would work as far as having WD scan goes, but the annoying messages from WD still appear.

But I think I have found the cause of the problem. I had been using an application (R-Wipe&Clean) to remove Windows Defender logs and scan results. Since I prevented R-Wipe&Clean from doing that, I have not seen the "Windows Defender needs to scan your computer" prompt.

My understanding is that CCleaner can cause a similar problem.

It stands to reason, then, that only the native Disk Cleanup (cleanmgr.exe) utility should normally be used to remove WD remnants. It's normally a minimal amount of data anyway, at least from what I'm seeing.

Thanks, Shawn.

13. Brink
    Brink New Member

That's great news. It's amazing how some 3rd party software can affect so much.

Yeah, WD remnants usually don't add up to a lot, so it's something that can be left to let Disk Cleanup do every so often.

Brink, Dec 14, 2016
  14. Ex_Brit Win User
    I just discovered this feature (yes, I should be ashamed at not keeping up with the news) and have turned it on as my A/V apparently scans less and less for the lesser bothersome adware and such and concentrates more and more on the big stuff, i.e. ransomware and rootkits etc.

Ex_Brit, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Turn On or Off Limited Periodic Scanning in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Turn Off Limited

2. Does installing version 22H2 turn off Periodic Scanning in Defender

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Does installing version 22H2 turn off Periodic Scanning in Defender: After installing Version 22H2 on 01/10/2023, Defender ceased to update. Starting on that date.Other updates have been installing, as they shouldThis was discovered on 02/25/2023, and I found that the Periodic Scanning Switch had been set to OFF, in some manner. Most likely by...
  3. Does installing version 22H2 turn off Periodic Scanning in Defender

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does installing version 22H2 turn off Periodic Scanning in Defender: After installing Version 22H2 on 01/10/2023, Defender ceased to update. Starting on that date.Other updates have been installing, as they shouldThis was discovered on 02/25/2023. And I found that the Periodic Scanning Switch had been set toOFF, in some manner. Most likely by...
  4. Windows Defender Periodic Scan keeps turning on.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender Periodic Scan keeps turning on.: Hello, I use Bitdefender AV, and since a couple of weeks, the system sometimes shows the Windows Defender Scan notification on startup. I disable it, but it keeps turining on.I said since a couple of weeks, because I suspect some Windows Update changed/screwed something. I...
  5. Turn off Periodic Scanning in Microsoft Defender

Turn off Periodic Scanning in Microsoft Defender: Split from this thread.I was advised by Norton 360 to turn off "Periodic Scanning": unfortunately the paths in this article do not seem to exist in my Windows 10 installation old, but up-to-date with all required updates. There is NO selection for "Windows Defender". Advice,...
  6. can't turn off windows defender periodic scanning

can't turn off windows defender periodic scanning: Hello, I turned on windows defender periodic scanning just to test it, but when I went back into settings to turn it off again, the settings options had changed and the toggle switch had disappeared, so it is no longer possible to switch it off. I've tried to follow the...
  7. Windows Defender virus periodic scanning keeps turning off

Windows Defender virus periodic scanning keeps turning off: I set Windows Defender virus periodic scanning to on. However, it keeps turning off, without giving me any notice. What can I do to keep it on? Or, at the very least, get a notice. The problem only started after a very recent Windows Update. I always install Updates...
  8. Command line to turn on Periodic scanning

Command line to turn on Periodic scanning: Hi, I was able to turn on Windows Defender Periodic Scanning on with a command in Windows 10 1803. Command worked in 1803: C:\Windows\System32\SystemSettingsAdminFlows.exe Defender SideBySideOn Now I am installing Windows 10 1809 and the command does not work anymore....
  9. How Useful is Defender Limited Periodic Scanning?

How Useful is Defender Limited Periodic Scanning?: I use Kaspersky Internet Security (KIS) 2016 which turns off Defender by default. I notice there is the new Defender feature of Limited Periodic Scanning. How useful is this for a KIS user? Does it add a useful layer of additional security or just hog resources for a limited...
  10. Limited Periodic Scanning in Win 10 to Provide Additional Protection

in Windows 10 News
    Limited Periodic Scanning in Win 10 to Provide Additional Protection: Every month, Microsoft’s Malicious Software Removal Tool (MSRT) scans more than 500 million Windows devices for malware and malicious software. This tool aids in the detection and removal of malware from 1 to 2 million machines each time, even on those devices running...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. periodic scanning keeps turning off

2. how to turn on periodic scan option in win 10 via command prompt

3. turn off pereotic

4. win 10 turning windows defender to periodic scan,
  5. periodic scan with defender using command line,
  6. i cant turn periodic scan off