Windows 10: Turn On or Off Narrator Caps Lock Warnings while Typing in Windows 10

Discus and support Turn On or Off Narrator Caps Lock Warnings while Typing in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Turn On or Off Narrator Caps Lock Warnings while Typing in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Narrator Caps Lock Warnings while Typing in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by DjDiabolik, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Turn On or Off Narrator Caps Lock Warnings while Typing in Windows 10

How to: Turn On or Off Narrator Caps Lock Warnings while Typing in Windows 10

How to Turn On or Off Narrator Caps Lock Warnings while Typing in Windows 10

Narrator is a screen-reading app built into Windows 10.

Narrator lets you use your PC without a display or mouse to complete common tasks if youre blind or have low vision. It reads and interacts with things on the screen, like text and buttons. Use Narrator to read and write email, browse the internet, and work with documents.

Starting with Windows 10 build 18272, Narrator will now alert you when you are accidentally typing with Caps Lock turned on. The setting is on by default.

It will work even if you have character echo option (Hear characters as you type) disabled, and it will work in edit fields as well as password field. By default, Narrator will always alert you regardless of presses of the Shift key as you type alphabetic characters. But you can choose to only be alerted when you press the Shift key together with an alphabetic character, or you can disable the feature altogether.

In this initial release, the sound effect you hear will sound like the standard Narrator error sound effect which Microsoft is working on improving.

This tutorial will show you how to change when you receive Narrator Caps Lock ON warnings while typing for your account in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Change When You Receive Narrator Caps Lock Warnings While Typing in Settings
    • Option Two: Change When You Receive Narrator Caps Lock Warnings While Typing using a REG file

OPTION ONE [/i] Change When You Receive Narrator Caps Lock Warnings While Typing in Settings
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Ease of Access icon.

*note You can press the Ctrl+Win+N keys to directly open to Narrator settings.

2. Click/tap on Narrator on the left side, and select Always (default), Only when pressing Shift, or Don't warn for what you want in the Change when you receive Caps Lock warnings while typing drop menu on the right side under the Change what you hear when typing section. (see screenshot below)

3. You can now close Settings if you like.

Turn On or Off Narrator Caps Lock Warnings while Typing in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION TWO [/i] Change When You Receive Narrator Caps Lock Warnings While Typing using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Narrator\NoRoam

CapsLockAlert DWORD

0 = Always
    1 = Only when pressing Shift
    2 = Don't warn

1. Do step 2 (Always), step 3 (Only when pressing Shift), or step 4 (Don't warn) below for what you would like to do.

2. To "Always" Receive Narrator Caps Lock Warnings While Typing
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 5 below.

Narrator_Caps_Lock_warning_Always.reg

Download

3. To "Only when pressing Shift" Receive Narrator Caps Lock Warnings While Typing
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 5 below.

Narrator_Caps_Lock_warning_Only_when_pressing_Shift.reg

Download

4. To "Don't warn" when Narrator Caps Lock ON While Typing

Narrator_Caps_Lock_warning_Don't_warn.reg

Download
    6. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

7. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

8. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

9. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

DjDiabolik, Oct 26, 2017
  2. wvbirdman Win User

Caps Lock delays typing

I often turn CAPS LOCK on and off while typing. When I do so, I get a pop-up that lasts for 3 seconds showing a graphic of upper or lower case letters:

Turn On or Off Narrator Caps Lock Warnings while Typing in Windows 10 [​IMG]

Often, when I turn CAPS LOCK on, the keyboard is disabled for the 3 seconds that the graphic is on-screen. I should wait before resuming typing; but I always forget and must backtrack and correct it. The problem does not happen every time I turn on CAPS LOCK, only if it has been several minutes since I last turned it on. However the graphic appears every time I press CAPS LOCK.

I think that some time in the past I may have downloaded one or more apps to assist with CAPS LOCK indication, found them unsuitable, and removed them; but I cannot remember any names. Nothing in Control Panel/Programs and Features seems likely to be involved.

Any help is appreciated, it's driving me crazy.

Thanks

wvbirdman, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Upgraded to Winndows 10 and cannot turn narrator off

Hi Ken,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am sorry to know that you are facing issues with Windows 10.

I do appreciate your efforts and time, and will assist you with the issue.

Method 1

I suggest you to try enabling narrator from keyboard and disable it and check if it helps.

• On a keyboard, press Windows logo key + Enter key.(This will enable the narrator)

• Press Caps lock + F1 key after you open narrator.

• Select exit narrator.

• Now click on the narrator task running on the task bar.

• Select exit.

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Syed Abdul Jabbar, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Turn On or Off Narrator Caps Lock Warnings while Typing in Windows 10

How to turn off the narrator on Windows 10?

I press Esc. That works because I leave it in Locked Narrator key mode. Sometimes when I have been typing out of that mode I press Caps Lock plus Z to put it back in that mode and then press Esc to exit. So, if it was in normal mode you would have to
    press Caps Lock plus Esc. In your version of Narrator you can probably also press Win-Enter as a toggle.

However, I have just noticed in 15063.14 that instead of Win-Enter we are going to have to start getting used to pressing Win plus Ctrl plus Enter as our toggle. That may take some time to get used to that change.

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle

---

Robert Aldwinckle on forums, Oct 27, 2019
  5. David Haz Win User
    My caps lock won t turn off

Hi Sally,

For us to isolate the issue about being unable to turn off Caps lock, kindly respond to the questions below:

• If you press the Caps Lock button on your keyboard, does it turn off the Caps Lock?
    • You mentioned that you are using Word, may we know if the issue is within Word only or the issue persists in using another typing application (i.e. Notepad)?

We look forward to your response.

David Haz, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Disable Caps Lock on Windows 10?

The below does not disable CAPS LOCK; instead it converts CAPS LOCK into SHIFT LOCK.

• Right-click Start
    • Choose Control Panel.
    • Under Clock, Language and Region, choose
      Change input methods.
    • On the left, choose
      Advanced Settings.
    • Near the bottom, click on
      Change language bar hot keys (this is a blue link)
    • On the Advanced Key Settings tab, select Press the Shift key
      radio button.
    • Click OK, then Save
    After this change:

• You press the CAPS LOCK key puts the keyboard in all-caps mode
    • You press the SHIFT key to turn off CAPS LOCK and exit all-caps mode.
      • Note that pressing CAPS LOCK again
        will not turn off CAPS LOCK; only by pressing either SHIFT key will CAPS LOCK turn off.
    This is similar behavior to how the SHIFT LOCK key works on typewriters.

blackeneth, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Turn On or Off Narrator Caps Lock Warnings while Typing in Windows 10

1. Turn On or Off Narrator Caps Lock Warnings while Typing in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Turn Off Narrator

2. Turn off caps lock indicator Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Turn off caps lock indicator Windows 10: I have Googled several different ways to turn off this Caps Lock indicator and have gotten stumped at each solution.Under Advanced Display Settings, there is no Screen Configurations tab:There is no Mobility Center when I type that into Windows search.Dell Peripheral Manager...
  3. Display of "Caps lock" while typing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Display of "Caps lock" while typing: Bonjour,Je suis sous Windows 11 et des que je j'appuis sur "Ver Maj" un pop up m'indiquant son activation/desactivation apparait ce qui est fort penible.J'ai chercher dans tout les coins des paramettres mais rien de semblable à l'option qui permettait cela sur windows 10....
  4. Display of "Caps lock" while typing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Display of "Caps lock" while typing: Bonjour,Je suis sous Windows 11 et des que je j'appuis sur "Ver Maj" un pop up m'indiquant son activation/desactivation apparait ce qui est fort penible.J'ai chercher dans tout les coins des paramettres mais rien de semblable à l'option qui permettait cela sur windows 10....
  5. typing in all caps with caps lock off

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    typing in all caps with caps lock off: This is really bizarre. The caps lock is on in one document only. This problem is not in my other Word documents. I tried pasting the information into a new doc and it stays on caps lock. I tried closing it and reopening it. I tried pasting it into a doc that is working...
  6. typing in all caps with caps lock off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    typing in all caps with caps lock off: This is really bizarre. The caps lock is on in one document only. This problem is not in my other Word documents. I tried pasting the information into a new doc and it stays on caps lock. I tried closing it and reopening it. I tried pasting it into a doc that is working...
  7. typing in all caps with caps lock off

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Turn On or Off Narrator Announce Characters as Typed in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Narrator Announce Characters as Typed in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Narrator Announce Characters as Typed in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Hear Narrator Announce Characters as Typed in Windows 10 Narrator is a screen-reading app built into Windows 10. Narrator lets you use your PC without a display or mouse...
  9. Turn On or Off Narrator Announce Words as Typed in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Narrator Announce Words as Typed in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Narrator Announce Words as Typed in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Hear Narrator Announce Words as Typed in Windows 10 Narrator is a screen-reading app built into Windows 10. Narrator lets you use your PC without a display or mouse to...
  10. Turn On or Off Lock the Narrator Key in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Lock the Narrator Key in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Lock the Narrator Key in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Lock the Narrator Key in Windows 10 Narrator is a screen-reading app built into Windows 10. Narrator lets you use your PC without a display or mouse to complete common tasks if youre...