Windows 10: Turn On or Off On-Screen Keyboard in Windows 10

Discus and support Turn On or Off On-Screen Keyboard in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Turn On or Off On-Screen Keyboard in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off On-Screen Keyboard in Windows 10 There are several different kinds... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by hellrazor, May 11, 2016.

1. hellrazor Win User

Turn On or Off On-Screen Keyboard in Windows 10

How to: Turn On or Off On-Screen Keyboard in Windows 10

How to Turn On or Off On-Screen Keyboard in Windows 10

There are several different kinds of keyboards for PCs. The most common type is a physical, external keyboard that you plug into your PC. While Windows 10 has a touch keyboard, it also has a built-in Ease of Access tool called the On-Screen Keyboard (OSK) that can be used instead of a physical keyboard to move around a PC's screen or enter text. You dont need a touchscreen to use the OSK. It displays a visual keyboard with all the standard keys, so you can use your mouse or another pointing device to select keys, or use a physical single key or group of keys to cycle through the keys on the screen.

When you turn on the OSK, a keyboard appears on the screen that can be used to move around the screen and enter text. The keyboard will remain on the screen until you close it.

With the OSK open, you can click/tap on the Options key, and then choose the options you want:
    • Use click sound - Use this option if you want to hear a sound when you press a key.
    • Show keys to make it easier to move around the screen - Use this option if you want the keys to light up as you type.
    • Turn on numeric keypad - Use this option to expand the OSK to show a numeric keypad.
    • Click on keys - Use this mode if you prefer to click or tap the on-screen keys to enter text.
    • Hover over keys - Use this mode if you use a mouse or joystick to point to a key. The characters you point to are entered automatically when you point to them for a specified time.
    • Scan through keys - Use this mode if you want the OSK to continually scan the keyboard. Scan mode highlights areas where you can type keyboard characters by pressing a keyboard shortcut, using a switch input device, or using a device that simulates a mouse click.
    • Use Text Prediction - Use this option if you want the OSK to suggest words for you as you type so you don't need to type each complete word.
    This tutorial will show you different ways on how to turn on or off the On-Screen Keyboard (OSK) in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:

EXAMPLE: On-Screen Keyboard

Turn On or Off On-Screen Keyboard in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Turn On or Off On-Screen Keyboard using Keyboard Shortcut
    1. Press the Win+Ctrl+O keys to toggle on or off the On-Screen Keyboard.

OPTION TWO [/i] Turn On or Off On-Screen Keyboard in Settings
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Ease of Access icon.

2. Click/tap on Keyboard on the left side, and turn on or off (default) Use the On-Screen Keyboard for what you want on the right side. (see screenshot below)

3. When finished, you can close Settings if you like.

OPTION THREE [/i] Turn On On-Screen Keyboard in Control Panel
    1. Open the Control Panel (icons view), and click/tap on the Ease of Access Center icon.

2. Click/tap on the Start On-Screen Keyboard link at the top. (see screenshot below)

3. When finished, you can close the Ease of Access Center if you like.

OPTION FOUR [/i] Turn On On-Screen Keyboard in Start Menu All Apps
    1. Open All Apps in the Start Menu. (see screenshot below)

2. Expand open the Windows Ease of Access folder in All Apps.

3. Click/tap on the On-Screen Keyboard shortcut.

OPTION FIVE [/i] Turn On On-Screen Keyboard from Search
    1. Open Search (Win+S), type osk, and click/tap on On-Screen Keyboard in the search results. (see screenshot below)

OPTION SIX [/i] Turn On On-Screen Keyboard in Run
    1. Open Run (Win+R), type osk, and press Enter or click/tap on OK . (see screenshot below)

OPTION SEVEN [/i] Turn On On-Screen Keyboard on Sign-in Screen
    1. While on the sign-in screen, click/tap on the Ease of Access button in the lower-right corner. (see screenshot below)

2. Click/tap on On-Screen Keyboard.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

hellrazor, May 11, 2016

2. Unable to turn off On screen keyboard on Windows 10.

Hi,

To assist you better, I would like to know the current build installed on the computer and the troubleshooting step that you had already performed.

As an initial troubleshooting step, try to turn off the OSK by following the below steps:

• Select “Start” and select “Settings“.
    • Choose “Ease of Access“.
    • Select “Keyboard“.
    • Set “On-Screen Keyboard” to “On” or “Off” as desired.
    If the issue still persists, I suggest you to download and install any pending updates that needs to be installed on the computer through Windows update and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Oct 27, 2019
  3. how do I disable on screen keyboard in windows 10 ?

This does NOT work as there is no option to disable the virtual keyboard in Ease of Access

Windows 10 Pro

Build no: 10586.1007

Ver: 1511

This **** VIRTUAL KEYBOARD is a major pain in the ass!

Is there a registry edit that can kill it, PERMANENTLY

Thank You (I hope)

DavidSheedy, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Turn On or Off On-Screen Keyboard in Windows 10

How do I change the default keyboard from handwriting to typing on Windows 10

Hi Paul,

We appreciate you for being part of Windows 10.

Before proceeding, we need to know more information to help you better.

• What is the make and model of your computer?
    • Have you enabled the tablet mode settings on Windows 10?

Kindly follow the below steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: Turn off on screen keyboard

• Open Start menu, type Settings in search bar and click on Settings.
    • Click on Ease of access and select keyboard.
    • Turn off the on screen keyboard.

Step 2: Turn off tablet mode

I suggest you to turn off tablet mode, as it may also be the cause for the issue.

• Open Start menu, type tablet mode settings in search bar and click on it.
    • Turn off the tablet mode option and check if it helps.

Reference: I suggest you to refer the below link and check if it helps.

Change your language or keyboard

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/add-language-keyboard

The steps applies for Windows 10 also.

I hope the above information helps. Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Kiran Kishore, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Nordic Win User
    Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

I really hate having to come here and ask for help, but I really am stumped. It hurts my geek pride. I have a PC with fairly modern hardware in it. It has a p8p67 pro in it. I have tried upgrading windows 10 on it twice now. Both times I have had the same result.

After windows finishes upgrading it goes to the log in/set up screen. I can't do anything. No keyboard or mouse input is accepted.

I will list some, or hopefully all, of the troubleshooting steps I have tried:
    • Move keyboard and mouse to different USB ports.
    • Try different keyboard or mouse.
    • Restart computer, repeatedly.
    • Google for related issues.
    • Update Bios, because why not.
    • Create boot media and revert to windows 7.
    The windows 10 system restore boot media works fine with keyboard and mouse. All USB ports work in windows 7. I don't know what is wrong. I suspect that windows 10 is lacking a driver of some sort, but since the computer accepts no input I have no way of checking for which driver let alone installing it.

Please help me figure this out. If I have to revert back to windows 7 again, I am not going to get it upgraded to windows 10. Thank you in advanced.

Nordic, Oct 27, 2019
  6. John Vil Win User
    want to use manual keyboard----not on screen keyboard

Hi,

The On-Screen Keyboard is an application which provides a visual keyboard on your screen that can be used in place of a physical keyboard. To better assist you and provide you with the appropriate troubleshooting steps, kindly answer the questions below:

• Is your physical keyboard not functioning?
    • Have you tried turning off the On-Screen Keyboard?

To turn off the On-Screen Keyboard, kindly follow the steps below:

• Click on Start.
    • Go to Settings.
    • Select Ease of Access.
    • On the left panel, click on Keyboard.
    • Under On-Screen Keyboard, make sure it is set to Off.

We'll be waiting for your response.

John Vil, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Turn On or Off On-Screen Keyboard in Windows 10

1. Turn On or Off On-Screen Keyboard in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Turn Off Screen

2. Turn Off On-Screen Keyboard at Login

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Turn Off On-Screen Keyboard at Login: <vent> Every time I use my drawing tablet, Windows decides I need the on-screen keyboard when logging in (even though the tablet is disconnected, and the computer has been fully shut down). I turn if off. It comes back the next time I use the tablet. One of the recent...
  3. PC screen turns off, power to mouse, microphone, keyboard all turns off LEDs turn off, then...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC screen turns off, power to mouse, microphone, keyboard all turns off LEDs turn off, then...: So, I've had this problem for a while now and it's just now pissing me off, I checked my graphics, card, my CPU, my motherboard temps and none of them are high when I play my game. I play the new MW2 2022 game and it runs just fine no issues, but when I open up CITIES:...
  4. PC screen turns off, power to mouse, microphone, keyboard all turns off LEDs turn off, then...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC screen turns off, power to mouse, microphone, keyboard all turns off LEDs turn off, then...: So, I've had this problem for a while now and it's just now pissing me off, I checked my graphics, card, my CPU, my motherboard temps and none of them are high when I play my game. I play the new MW2 2022 game and it runs just fine no issues, but when I open up CITIES:...
  5. PC screen turns off, power to mouse, microphone, keyboard all turns off LEDs turn off, then...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. How to Turn Off Keyboard Sound for On-Screen Keyboard in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to Turn Off Keyboard Sound for On-Screen Keyboard in Windows 10: [ATTACH]On-Screen keyboards make a sound for every keypress. This is handy especially for those who need assistance but can be annoying because the sound can interrupt your work and others who may be near you. So you have two options. One, you plug in your earphone and type,...
  7. turn off popup keyboard in windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    turn off popup keyboard in windows 10: how do i turn off the keyboard popping up in windows 10 when i tried to type on the built in keyboard https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/turn-off-popup-keyboard-in-windows-10/f584c6dd-01da-4410-8de7-11c357ccf771
  8. Keyboard turns off

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Keyboard turns off: I have a problem. I have a USB Keyboard. I was playing and then my keyboard and mouse turned off. I restarted my pc and now only my mouse is working. After restarting my keyboard leds go on and turn off 2 seconds later. I switched usb ports and restarted my pc 100 times ,...
  9. Turn screen keyboard sound off

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Turn screen keyboard sound off: Steps to turn off/on key sounds for Touch Keyboard in Windows 10: Step 1: Enter Settings. Step 2: Choose Devices to move on. Step 3: Open Typing, and then switch off or on Play key sounds as I type under Touch keyboard. Related Articles: Turn off Click Sound for On-Screen...
  10. Turning off Windows 10 screen

in Windows 10 Customization
    Turning off Windows 10 screen: I listen to a lot of audio files and audio programs on my Windows 10 computer. However, there is no known function to just turn off the display screen. If I let the computer go to sleep, I lose my audio. Is there a shortcut or Key sequence I can program this function into my...