Windows 10: Turn On or Off Open Sites in Apps for Microsoft Edge

Discus and support Turn On or Off Open Sites in Apps for Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Turn On or Off Open Sites in Apps for Microsoft Edge How to Turn On or Off Open Sites in Apps for Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 Microsoft... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Turn On or Off Open Sites in Apps for Microsoft Edge

How to: Turn On or Off Open Sites in Apps for Microsoft Edge

How to Turn On or Off Open Sites in Apps for Microsoft Edge in Windows 10

Microsoft Edge is a new web browser that is available across the Windows 10 device family. It is designed for Windows 10 to be faster, safer, and compatible with the modern Web.

Apps for websites is a feature that uses web-to-app linking to associate an app with a website.

Apps for websites was first introduced in Windows 10 build 14342, but there were no apps available at the time that supported this.

Starting with Windows 10 build 15007, clicking links to websites that support web-to-app linking will now open that page in the respective app. You can now also turn on or off open sites in apps for Microsoft Edge.

This tutorial will show you how to turn on or off the open sites in apps feature in Microsoft Edge for your account in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Turn On or Off Open Sites in Apps for Microsoft Edge in Microsoft Edge Settings
    • Option Two: To Turn On or Off Open Sites in Apps for Microsoft Edge using a REG file

OPTION ONE [/i] To Turn On or Off Open Sites in Apps for Microsoft Edge in Microsoft Edge Settings
    1. Open Microsoft Edge.

2. Click/tap on the Settings and more (Alt+X) button, and click/tap on Settings. (see screenshot below)

Turn On or Off Open Sites in Apps for Microsoft Edge [​IMG]

3. Click/tap on Advanced on the left side, and turn On (default) or Off Open sites in apps for what you want on the right side. (see screenshots below)

*note While turned on, you can also click/tap on the Choose which sites open in apps button to turn on or off apps for websites.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Turn On or Off Open Sites in Apps for Microsoft Edge using a REG file

*note The .reg files below will modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppContainer\Storage\microsoft.microsoftedge_8wek yb3d8bbwe\MicrosoftEdge\AppLinks

Enabled DWORD

0= Off
    1 = On

1. Do step 2 (on) or step 3 (off) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Turn On Open Sites in Apps for Microsoft Edge
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_On_Open_sites_in_apps_for_Microsoft_Edge.reg

Download

3. To Turn Off Open Sites in Apps for Microsoft Edge
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_Off_Open_sites_in_apps_for_Microsoft_Edge.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. If prompted, click on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Oct 9, 2017

2. No Cortana Icon on Microsoft Edge

Hi Praveen,

It is possible that the Show search and site suggestions as I type option in Microsoft Edge isn't enabled which explains why the Cortana icon is not visible. To check, follow these steps:

• Open Microsoft Edge.
    • Click the Menu button (...).
    • Click Settings.
    • Scroll down and click View advanced settings.

• Turn on the toggle switch for the Have Cortana assist me in Microsoft Edge
      option.

• Turn on the toggle switch for the Show search and site suggestions as I type option.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Aileen Alf, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Sorting the Edge's frequently visited sites

Hi Doug,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community. I understand the inconvenience you are facing. I will certainly help you.

I suggest you to follow the below given steps and check if issue is resolved.

• Open Microsoft Edge browser home page.
    • Click on Customize on the Home page
    • Select the particular category to watch the specific suggestion.
    Also follow the below given steps and check if that answers your query.

• Open Microsoft Edge.
    • Click on More action(…) on left most corner.
    • Click on Settings.
    • Select Top sites and suggested content under Open New tabs with
    • Open new tab to check if it shows the Most visited website.

Hope this information is helpful. Please feel free to reply in case you face any other issues with Windows in future.

Thank you.

Parth P Patel, Oct 26, 2019
  4. DougMarvy Win User

Sorting the Edge's frequently visited sites

Thanks for the time, Parth. You explain how to show the most visited sites. This I know. I've asked how to sort them, , and you do not address my question.

DougMarvy, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Microsoft Edge doesn't open in Windows 10

Microsoft Edge doesn't open in Windows 10.

Somehow my system got infected with some malware. Due to which Edge was opening random ads in new tabs with any click on any site. After some efforts I cleaned the malware, but the malware seem to have broken edge; some edge files also got cleaned out.

Now while opening opening blue screen comes fine, just a quick flash of Edge window comes but without showing anything or allowing to do anything closes itself.

I couldn't uninstall and re-install as Edge doesn't show in programs list.

I also tried following steps as suggested by the Microsoft Virtual support agent, No issues came up with that and nothing got resolved.

• Press Windows key + X.
    • Click command prompt (Run as administrator).
    • In the Administrator Command Prompt window, type the following commands. Press Enter key after each command:
      • DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth
      • DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

shubhamgpt, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Cannot set home button icon Microsoft Edge

Thanks for reply
    but your suggestion did not work.When i turn off home button in Edge and re-open Edge and turn on home button ...the home icon appears but fades away when Edge is re-opened.

I even uninstalled Edge and re-installed Edge following a fellow members suggestion tutorial but this step did not work either.

Very strange

treblefree, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Turn On or Off Open Sites in Apps for Microsoft Edge - Similar Threads - Turn Off Open

2. Microsoft Edge browsing and problems with opening web sites

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Edge browsing and problems with opening web sites: When I have either MS Edge or Google Chrome web browsers open and I go to MSN web site to search news stories, whenever I click on a story, no matter what the story is, it never opens that story - but rather reverts back to the main landing page. This just started today and...
  3. Microsoft Edge browsing and problems with opening web sites

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Edge browsing and problems with opening web sites: When I have either MS Edge or Google Chrome web browsers open and I go to MSN web site to search news stories, whenever I click on a story, no matter what the story is, it never opens that story - but rather reverts back to the main landing page. This just started today and...
  4. Microsoft Edge browsing and problems with opening web sites

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. How to turn off "Help" on microsoft edge?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to turn off "Help" on microsoft edge?: I'm playing a game and the f1 button closes a window that opens up when I want help on MY GAME. But when I push f1 it pulls down my game and brings up Microsoft edge help. This is REALLY irritating me. I want tao turn off F1 FOR HELP!!!!!...
  6. Turn On or Off Show Frequent Top Sites in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Show Frequent Top Sites in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Show Frequent Top Sites in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Show Frequent Top Sites in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 Microsoft Edge is a new web browser that is available across the Windows 10 device family. It is designed for...
  7. Microsoft Edge Top Sites

in Browsers and Email
    Microsoft Edge Top Sites: I have a bit of a problem, in the Edge address bar are top sites that you have visited. I need to know how to turn that feature off for privacy reasons. Sure its helpful and saves you typing if you go to that particular website very often but what if you let someone use your...
  8. Turn On or Off Extensions in Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Extensions in Microsoft Edge: How to: Turn On or Off Extensions in Microsoft Edge How to Turn On or Off Microsoft Edge Extensions in Windows 10 Microsoft Edge is a new web browser that is available across the Windows 10 device family. It is designed for Windows 10 to be faster, safer, and compatible...
  9. Turn On or Off Tab Preview in Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Tab Preview in Microsoft Edge: How to: Turn On or Off Tab Preview in Microsoft Edge How to Turn On or Off Tab Preview in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 [img] Information Microsoft Edge is a new web browser that is available across the Windows 10 device family. It is designed for Windows 10 to be...
  10. Turn On or Off Web Notifications for Sites in Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Web Notifications for Sites in Microsoft Edge: How to: Turn On or Off Web Notifications for Sites in Microsoft Edge How to Turn On or Off Microsoft Edge Web Notifications for Sites in Windows 10 Microsoft Edge is a new web browser that is available across the Windows 10 device family. It is designed for Windows 10...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. what is open sites in apps in edge

2. open sites in apps edge