Windows 10: Turn On or Off Open Start Menu Submenus in Windows 10

Discus and support Turn On or Off Open Start Menu Submenus in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Turn On or Off Open Start Menu Submenus in Windows 10 Turn On or Off Start Menu AutoCascade of Submenus in Windows 10 [img] Warning... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by John Pombrio, Oct 3, 2014.

1. Turn On or Off Open Start Menu Submenus in Windows 10

How to: Turn On or Off Open Start Menu Submenus in Windows 10

Turn On or Off Start Menu AutoCascade of Submenus in Windows 10

Turn On or Off Open Start Menu Submenus in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Warning This tutorial no longer works starting with Windows 10 build 10041 released on March 18th 2015.

Information This tutorial will show you how to turn on or off to automatically open submenus in the resizable Start menu when you pause on them with the mouse pointer for only your user account in Windows 10.

This does not apply to the default expandable Start menu.

When turned off, you would need to click/tap on the submenu expansion arrow (caret) of a pinned item on the Start list to toggle it to expand open and close.

When turned on, you can pause the mouse pointer over a pinned item on the Start list that has a submenu to have it expand open. You can still also click/tap on a submenu expansion arrow to toggle it to expand open and close.

Note If you have turned off "Store and display recently opened items in the Start menu and the taskbar", then you will no longer have a submenu expansion arrow (caret) for some pinned items on your Start list.

For example, Notepad will no longer have a caret to expand open to show you a list of recently opened documents in Notepad.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Turn On or Off Start AutoCascade in "Customize Start Menu" Properties
    • Option Two: Turn On or Off Start AutoCascade using a BAT File
    EXAMPLE: Start Menu AutoCascade of Submenus

OPTION ONE [/i] Turn On or Off Start AutoCascade in "Customize Start Menu" Properties
    1. If you have not already, you will first need to enable using the resizable Start menu.

2. Right click or press and hold on the taskbar, and click/tap on Properties. (see screenshot below)

3. Click/tap on the Start Menu tab, and click/tap on the Customize button. (see screenshot below)

4. Do step 5 or 6 below for what you would like to do.

5. To Turn On Start Menu AutoCascade of Submenus
    NOTE: This is the default setting.
    A) Check the Open submenus when I pause on them with the mouse pointer box, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below step 5)
    6. To Turn Off Start Menu AutoCascade of Submenus
    A) Uncheck the Open submenus when I pause on them with the mouse pointer box, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

7. Click/tap on OK to apply. (see screenshot below step 3)

OPTION TWO [/i] Turn On or Off Start AutoCascade using a BAT File

Note The .bat files below are for the registry key and value below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

EnableXamlStartMenu DWORD

0 = Enable resizable Start menu

Start_AutoCascade DWORD

0 = Turn Off
    1 = Turn On

1. Do step 2 or 3 below for what you would like to do.

2. To Turn On Start Menu AutoCascade of Submenus
    NOTE: This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the .bat file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_On_Start_AutoCascade.bat

Download
    3. To Turn Off Start Menu AutoCascade of Submenus
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the .bat file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_Off_Start_AutoCascade.bat

Download
    4. Save the .bat file to your desktop.

5. If prompted, click/tap on Run.
    NOTE: If you like, you can stop getting the Run prompt by unblocking the downloaded .bat file.

6. You will now notice a command prompt quickly open and close, and your screen flash while applying the changes to your registry and to restart explorer.

7. When finished, you can delete the downloaded .bat file(s) if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

John Pombrio, Oct 3, 2014
  2. max_data Win User

Nokia X6 Real Player does not start

Hi,

I'm not able to start the program "RealPlayer" in the menu.

If i try, it opens the RealPlayer-Submenu but close it immediately.

No way to chose any folder in the submenu.

Can I reinstall the RealPlayer on the phone ???

Thanks for answers

max_data, Oct 3, 2014
  3. Disk Space Used for System Protection

Greg I forgot to mention than I turned file history off using the control panel menu. However in the setting menu , back up submenu under file history the switch keeps coming back to the on position whatever I do.

Cerard Duprat, Oct 3, 2014
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Turn On or Off Open Start Menu Submenus in Windows 10

You're welcome John. *Smile

Brink, Oct 3, 2014
Thema:

Turn On or Off Open Start Menu Submenus in Windows 10

1. Turn On or Off Open Start Menu Submenus in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Turn Off Open

2. Start menu not opening on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu not opening on Windows 10: Hello everyone, I am encountering a problem with the start menu and search bar on my Windows 10 laptop. Symptoms: I cannot open the start menu, neither with the bottom left icon neither with the windows key on my keyboard. When I do any of these two actions, a new process...
  3. Context submenus and windows menu bars open to the eft

in Windows 10 Customization
    Context submenus and windows menu bars open to the eft: When opening a context menu all submenus will open to the left.This also happens when opening window menu items.I tried running Tablet PC Settings:shell:::{80F3F1D5-FECA-45F3-BC32-752C152E456E}and changing to Left-HandedThis only effects where the context menu is opend...
  4. Turning off start menu internet search

in Windows 10 Support
    Turning off start menu internet search: I finally got around to backing up my original dell image, and installing a clean Windows Pro image from Microsoft instead (been meaning to do it for a while). Dell didn't even originally give me the correct language version of Windows for my laptop, a minor annoyance but it...
  5. Windows Start Menu and some other Settings submenus not working

Windows Start Menu and some other Settings submenus not working: Hi, Since some days on my 2-3 month old Windows 10 Pro, the Start menü stopped working. If I click on it a loading circle appeare at the cursor for 1-2 sec, but nothing happen. I tried several method on the net, sfc scan, DISM commands, etc. none was a solution. There was...
  6. Turn off tiles in Start Menu

Turn off tiles in Start Menu: I saw how to disable the apps in the Start Menu. Can the tiles be disabled? I have never used them and never will. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/turn-off-tiles-in-start-menu/deb68d78-20e3-4c60-a11f-33eb505ec97c
  7. windows 10 start menu will not open

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    windows 10 start menu will not open: I receive critical message ( start menu will not open will fix it next time you sign in) but it does not ,I have lost all internet connection. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-start-menu-will-not-open/82692eeb-28e1-4e26-8c82-177020a82e03
  8. Windows 10 Start Menu Won't Turn Off

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Windows 10 Start Menu Won't Turn Off: Hi! I have quick question. For the past two or three days the full screen start menu on my laptop hasn't been able to be turned off. I went to the settings and turned it off, but it still won't turn off. I took off all of my shortcuts so I thought that may have been the...
  9. Turn On or Off Blur for Start Menu and Taskbar in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Blur for Start Menu and Taskbar in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Blur for Start Menu and Taskbar in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Start Menu and Taskbar Blur in Windows 10 [img] Warning This tutorial no longer works starting with Windows 10 build 10147 on June 18th 2015. [img] Information In...
  10. Turn On or Off Full Screen Start Menu in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Full Screen Start Menu in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Full Screen Start Menu in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Use Start Full Screen in Windows 10 In Windows 10, users can change the size of Start for their account to be a Start menu or full screen Start. Starting with full screen Start. When...