Windows 10: Turn On or Off Screen Rotation Lock in Windows 10

Discus and support Turn On or Off Screen Rotation Lock in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Turn On or Off Screen Rotation Lock in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Screen Rotation Lock in Windows 10 A tablet and some hybrid... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by AFTommy, Jul 25, 2017.

1. AFTommy Win User

Turn On or Off Screen Rotation Lock in Windows 10

How to: Turn On or Off Screen Rotation Lock in Windows 10

How to Turn On or Off Screen Rotation Lock in Windows 10

A tablet and some hybrid laptop devices are designed to rotate the display automatically in a portrait or landscape orientation as you turn it so that what you see on the screen is always right side up.

If you like, you can turn on or off Rotation lock in Windows 10 to allow (off) or prevent (on) the auto-rotation of your screen as needed.

This tutorial will show you how to turn on or off screen Rotation lock for your Windows 10 device.

*tip Troubleshoot Surface screen rotation | Microsoft Support

*note Screen autorotation doesn't work on a selected computer when the computer wakes from sleep in Windows 10

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Turn On or Off Screen Rotation Lock using Keyboard Shortcut
    • Option Two: Turn On or Off Screen Rotation Lock in Action Center
    • Option Three: Turn On or Off Screen Rotation Lock in Settings
    • Option Four: Turn On or Off Screen Rotation Lock using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Screen rotation

Turn On or Off Screen Rotation Lock in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Turn On or Off Screen Rotation Lock using Keyboard Shortcut
    1. Press the Win + O keys to toggle Rotation lock on and off (default).

OPTION TWO [/i] Turn On or Off Screen Rotation Lock in Action Center
    1. Open the Action Center (Win+A).

2. Click/tap on the Rotation lock quick action button to toggle it on and off (default). (see screenshots below)

OPTION THREE [/i] Turn On or Off Screen Rotation Lock in Settings
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the System icon.

*note You can also right click or press and hold on your desktop, and click/tap on Display settings to open the same page in Settings.

2. Click/tap on Display on the left side, and turn on or off (default) Rotation lock on the right side for what you want. (see screenshots below)

3. When finished, you can close Settings if you like.

OPTION FOUR [/i] Turn On or Off Screen Rotation Lock using a REG file

*note You must be signed in as an administrator to do this option.

The downloadable .reg files below will modify the DWORD value in the registry keys below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AutoRotation

Enable DWORD

0 = On
    1 = Off

1. Do step 2 (on) or step 3 (off) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Turn On Screen Rotation Lock
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_ON_screen_rotation_lock.reg

Download

3. To Turn Off Screen Rotation Lock
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_OFF_screen_rotation_lock.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. restart the computer to apply.

8. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

AFTommy, Jul 25, 2017
  2. jds63 Win User

Auto rotate and g force

Really needed to list more system specs and information on this issue.So this is assuming you have this and this is the issue.

Why does my screen not rotate?

The auto rotation lock feature is turned on by default in Windows 10. Use the following steps to turn off this feature.

1. Place the tablet into Pad/Tablet mode.
    2. Click the Start
      menu
      and select Settings.
    3. Click System.
    4. Click Display.
    5. Scroll down and toggle Lock rotation of this display to OFF.

jds63, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Ralph Sta Win User
    screen rotation

Hi Brandon,

There are several reasons why the screen of your netbook is not rotating. One common reason is the auto rotation feature is locked, you can check it by following these steps:

• On your keyboard, press Windows + A.
    • Click Expand.
    • Click Rotation lock, and make sure it is turned off.
    • Test your netbook if it's properly rotating.

Keep us updated.

Regards.

Ralph Sta, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Turn On or Off Screen Rotation Lock in Windows 10

screen rotation Windows 10

Hi Burto,

There's a possibility that the rotation lock is turned On on your tablet. Since rotation lock is missing in action center, let's get into the
    Settings to verify whether it's turned On or Off. Follow the steps below:

• Open Settings, then System.
    • Tap Display.
    • Look for Lock rotation of this display and make sure to set it to OFF.

You may also get into the Control Panel settings. Here's how:

• Open Control Panel.
    • Tap Display, then Change Display Settings.
    • Make sure to check Allow the screen to auto-rotate.

Let us know if you need further help.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Oct 27, 2019
  5. RejZoR Win User
    Screen auto-rotation on Windows 10 tablet?

My ACER iconia W4 820 had screen auto-rotation in Windows 8.1, but I can't seem to find this damn thing in Windows 10. I can manually rotate the screen, but it doesn't seem to use the sensor to auto detect the orientation. Where is it?

RejZoR, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Screen auto-rotation on Windows 10 tablet?

I have a windows surface 3 and all windows tablets the auto rotation is set to off. You have to enable auto rotation.

Press the
    Turn On or Off Screen Rotation Lock in Windows 10 start.png
    + O (letter) keys to toggle to lock or unlock autorotation. Check here

Mindweaver, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Turn On or Off Screen Rotation Lock in Windows 10

1. Turn On or Off Screen Rotation Lock in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Turn Off Screen

2. After turning off the Rotation lock in windows 11 , Still screen is not rotating automatically.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After turning off the Rotation lock in windows 11 , Still screen is not rotating automatically.: Hi ,I am having 2 in 1 laptop with windows 11 , one of the feature stop working i.e automatic rotation .I tried disabling the auto rotation in windows display setting still it is not working .Is there a fix for this?...
  3. After turning off the Rotation lock in windows 11 , Still screen is not rotating automatically.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    After turning off the Rotation lock in windows 11 , Still screen is not rotating automatically.: Hi ,I am having 2 in 1 laptop with windows 11 , one of the feature stop working i.e automatic rotation .I tried disabling the auto rotation in windows display setting still it is not working .Is there a fix for this?...
  4. turn off locked screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    turn off locked screen: like to have auto log in would be nicethe only one how use it any way https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/turn-off-locked-screen/1539fbb0-730b-4d1e-b2b6-73ffa172710e
  5. turn off locked screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    turn off locked screen: like to have auto log in would be nicethe only one how use it any way https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/turn-off-locked-screen/1539fbb0-730b-4d1e-b2b6-73ffa172710e
  6. turn off locked screen

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. How do I turn off the lock on rotate my screen?

How do I turn off the lock on rotate my screen?: How do I turn off the lock on rotate screen? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-turn-off-the-lock-on-rotate-my-screen/3be82565-f7fb-4011-bcf3-eb1fde5c1821
  8. rotation lock off

rotation lock off: how can I turn rotation lock off? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/rotation-lock-off/755feb2f-6035-48f5-a3a8-9f56f8c60016
  9. Windows 10 lock screen won't turn off

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 lock screen won't turn off: I just upgraded from a surface pro 4 to a surface book 2. However one issue that I've never faced on the surface pro that I'm facing on the surface book is that the lock screen won't turn off (time out). Whenever I locked my screen on the surface pro, the display would turn...
  10. Turn On or Off Lock Screen Notifications in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Lock Screen Notifications in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Lock Screen Notifications in Windows 10 [img] Information The lock screen is the screen you see when you lock your PC (or when it locks automatically after you haven't been using it for a while). The lock screen will also show at startup, and when...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. turn off rotation lock reg