Windows 10: Turn On or Off Shortcut Name Extension in Windows 10

Discus and support Turn On or Off Shortcut Name Extension in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Turn On or Off Shortcut Name Extension in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off 'Shortcut' Name Extension for New Shortcuts in Windows 10 [img]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by adamf, Mar 15, 2015.

1. adamf Win User

Turn On or Off Shortcut Name Extension in Windows 10

How to: Turn On or Off Shortcut Name Extension in Windows 10

How to Turn On or Off 'Shortcut' Name Extension for New Shortcuts in Windows 10

Turn On or Off Shortcut Name Extension in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information When you right click or press and hold on a file, folder, or drive and click tap on either Create shortcut or Send to -> Desktop (create shortcut), a shortcut to that file, folder or drive will be created with the - Shortcut extension at the end of the filename by default.

This tutorial will show you how to turn on or off having the - Shortcut extension in the file name of newly created shortcuts in your user account in Windows 10.

Note This will only affect shortcuts that you create afterwards, and will not affect shortcuts that already have the - Shortcut file name extension.

Shortcuts that already have the - Shortcut file name extension can only be renamed if you wanted to remove the - Shortcut extension from the shortcut's name.

EXAMPLE: "- Shortcut" file name extension

Here's How:

Note The .bat files below will modify the values in the registry keys below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer

link BINARY

00 00 00 00 = off
    15 00 00 00 = on

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\NamingTemplates

Delete ShortcutNameTemplate string value

1. Do step 2 or step 3 below for what you would like to do.

2. To Turn On Shortcut Name Extension for New Shortcuts
    NOTE: This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_On_Shortcut_Name_Extension.bat

Download
    3. To Turn Off Shortcut Name Extension for New Shortcuts
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_Off_Shortcut_Name_Extension.bat

Download
    4. Save the .bat file to your desktop, and unblock the .bat file.

5. Double click/tap on the .bat file to run it.

6. You will now notice your screen flicker as explorer is restarted.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

adamf, Mar 15, 2015

2. what is this gigantic IDEFile (400GB) in the media folder on my C: drive in Windows 10

The name of the file is just IDEFile? No extension? (Make sure
    Hide extensions for known file types
    is turned off under Explorer's options.)

RobertJWin, Mar 15, 2015
  3. change or turn off shortcut key

Hi,

Thank you for being a part of Windows 10.

I appreciate you for providing details about the issue and we are happy to help you.

Please be informed that, you cannot modify or change the functionalities of the shortcut keys and it’s by design.

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Harshavardhan Rathod, Mar 15, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

You're welcome Adam. *Smile

Brink, Mar 15, 2015
  5. hazem Win User
    it would be great ,if there was a tip for removing the arrow also ^_^

hazem, Mar 18, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Mar 18, 2015
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome. *Smile

Brink, Mar 18, 2015
  8. Turn On or Off Shortcut Name Extension in Windows 10

The -shortcut text extension was still tacked on to the shortcut when I chose Create a shortcut from the context menu. I thought I forgot to run the batch file on this build - but the mod was in the registry.

I added the same attibute value pair to HKEY_Local_Machine (the batch file only has HKCU)

REG ADD "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer" /V link /T REG_Binary /D 00000000 /F

Slartybart, Aug 31, 2015
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hey Bill, *Smile

That would be to set for all users. Unless the all users option was set, the tutorial should work for the current user only.

I had the tutorial only use current user so that any user could set it for their account. The all user HKLM option would require to be signed in as an administrator to set.

Brink, Aug 31, 2015
  10. Yep & thanks.

I posted just to bring to your attention the difference between Create shortcut (context menu for an object) and New ... shortcut. The former tacks on -shortcut unless the HKLM key is set, the latter works as advertised.

Slartybart, Sep 7, 2015
  11. wh0pper28 Win User
    Hey all,

This no longer seems to work in the latest version of Windows 10; Windows 10 Home, Version: 1511, OS Build: 10586.3
    I'm not entirely sure why but I've tried changing the link key value to something other than 00 00 00, restarting windows explorer and then changing the value back, and restarting windows explorer once again and in all cases it still adds the - Shortcut extension text *Sad I have also noticed, upon restarting my PC the registry key value is reset to default, I've never known this to happen before... Am I doing something wrong? Because I haven't encountered these issues before this November update.

Regards

wh0pper28, Nov 16, 2015
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Wh0pper28, *Smile

I've updated the .bat files. Please download the new versions, and try again.

Brink, Nov 16, 2015
  13. wh0pper28 Win User

Thanks a bunch, as of now it seems to be working. I will try a restart and see whether the registry key value sticks and report back with my results *Smile

UPDATE: I have just restarted my PC and created a new desktop shortcut, and the registry key value has stuck. That new .bat file works perfectly, thanks Brink much appreciated *Smile

Regards

wh0pper28, Nov 17, 2015
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome Wh0pper28. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. *Smile

Brink, Nov 17, 2015
  15. mirror7 Win User

Hello, yours script show for some views black squares in desktop. Do you have any idea how fix it? Thank you.
    PS: I dont want only scrolling view.

mirror7, Jan 15, 2016
Thema:

1. Turn On or Off Shortcut Name Extension in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Turn Off Shortcut

2. Turn off shortcut keys

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Turn off shortcut keys: Hey guy's,I'm playing in game and I'm hitting "Windows key+Ctrl+F" on accident and I'm getting dialogue boxes for "Find Computers on your network."Causing my game to run in the background. I've found how to turn off shortcut key's but it will turn off all shortcut keys. I...
  3. Turn off shortcut keys

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Turn off shortcut keys: Hey guy's,I'm playing in game and I'm hitting "Windows key+Ctrl+F" on accident and I'm getting dialogue boxes for "Find Computers on your network."Causing my game to run in the background. I've found how to turn off shortcut key's but it will turn off all shortcut keys. I...
  4. Turn off shortcut keys

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Shortcut to turn off monitors?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Shortcut to turn off monitors?: I have a Windows 10 machine that I'm using with these big Apple cinema displays that were given to me for free. They're great monitors with built in webcams, mics, speakers, etc. The only problem is they don't have any physical buttons. ...so I have no way to turn off the...
  6. Shortcut to turn off screen

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Shortcut to turn off screen: I just got a new Lenovo yoga I need a way to make the screen turn off on demand, preferably with a shortcut or icon on the task bar or action center, that will just simply turn the display off without interrupting what the PC is doing. So it dosent turn off sound or sends it...
  7. Turn On or Off Underline Access Key Shortcuts in Menus in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Underline Access Key Shortcuts in Menus in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Underline Access Key Shortcuts in Menus in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Underline Access Key Shortcuts in Menus in Windows 10 An access key gives you access to a command by pressing a specific key on the keyboard. Access keys appear on the...
  8. Turn On or Off Cortana Listen Keyboard Shortcut in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Cortana Listen Keyboard Shortcut in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Cortana Listen Keyboard Shortcut in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Cortana Listening Mode Keyboard Shortcut in Windows 10 Cortana is your cloud-based personal assistant that works across your devices and other Microsoft services. Depending on...
  9. Turn On or Off Extensions in Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Extensions in Microsoft Edge: How to: Turn On or Off Extensions in Microsoft Edge How to Turn On or Off Microsoft Edge Extensions in Windows 10 Microsoft Edge is a new web browser that is available across the Windows 10 device family. It is designed for Windows 10 to be faster, safer, and compatible...
  10. Change Shortcut Name Extension Template in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Shortcut Name Extension Template in Windows: How to: Change Shortcut Name Extension Template in Windows How to Change Default Shortcut Name Extension Template in Windows 7, 8, and 10 [img] Information A shortcut is a link to an item (such as a file, folder, or app) on your PC. When you right click or press...