Windows 10: Turn On or Off SmartScreen for Windows Store Apps in Windows 10

Discus and support Turn On or Off SmartScreen for Windows Store Apps in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Turn On or Off SmartScreen for Windows Store Apps in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Windows Defender SmartScreen for Store Apps in Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Aug 17, 2015.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Turn On or Off SmartScreen for Windows Store Apps in Windows 10

How to: Turn On or Off SmartScreen for Windows Store Apps in Windows 10

How to Turn On or Off Windows Defender SmartScreen for Store Apps in Windows 10

Windows Defender SmartScreen Filter helps protect your device by checking web content that Windows Store apps use.

This tutorial will show you how to turn on or off Windows Defender SmartScreen for Windows Store apps for your account in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Turn On or Off SmartScreen for Windows Store Apps in Windows Security
    • Option Two: To Turn On or Off SmartScreen for Windows Store Apps using a REG file

OPTION ONE [/i] To Turn On or Off SmartScreen for Windows Store Apps in Windows Security
    1. Open Windows Security, and click/tap on the App & browser control icon.

2. Under SmartScreen for Windows Store Apps, select Warn (default) or Off for what you want to set. (see screenshot below)

3. You can now close Windows Defender Security Center if you like.

Turn On or Off SmartScreen for Windows Store Apps in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION TWO [/i] To Turn On or Off SmartScreen for Windows Store Apps using a REG file
    *note The downloadable .reg files below will modify the DWORD values in the registry key below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppHost

EnableWebContentEvaluation DWORD

0 = Off
    1 = Warn (on)

PreventOverride DWORD

0 = Warn or Off

1. Do step 2 (warn) or step 3 (off) below for what you want to set.

2. To Set SmartScreen for Store Apps to Warn
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the .reg file below, and go to step 4 below.

Set_SmartScreen_for_Store_apps_to_Warn.reg

Download

3. Turn Off SmartScreen for Store Apps
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the .reg file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_Off_SmartScreen_for_Store_apps.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. When finished, you can delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Aug 17, 2015
  2. 95Viper Win User

Windows Store 10 cents deals

Change your region for Windows Store

95Viper, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

As you may already know, Windows 10 (as well as Windows 8) allow you to log in with a valid Microsoft account, instead of creating a local account that only works on your machine. However, you may prefer to keep a local account for privacy reasons. If you do, though, some Windows 10 features—like Cortana—may not work. Despite the default behavior, the Windows 10 Store is not one of them. You can still log in to your Microsoft account for just the Store without switching to a full Microsoft account. The process, however, is not terribly obvious. To do so, follow these steps:

• Launch the Store from your Start menu.
    • Click the user icon next to the search box.
    • Click “Sign-in” from the menu that appears.
    • Choose “Microsoft account” and log in like normal.
    • When the “Make it yours” box appears do not enter your password. Instead, click “Sign in to just this app instead.”
    from Lifehacker

Ahhzz, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

Turn off automatic driver update and SmartScreen causing high disk and memory usage

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand it can be quite frustrating when the computer does not work the way you want it to. I certainly appreciate the steps that you have tried. We can perform a couple of steps and see if we can resolve the issue.​

You can turn off the automatic installation of drivers from the Device installation settings and check if that helps. To turn off automatic installation please follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Type Change Device installation settings
      in the search bar and open it.
    2. Click on No.
    3. Click on Save Changes.

Regarding SmartScreen causing high Disk and Memory usage, you can turn off the SmartScreen from Windows Security and check if that helps. To turn off SmartScreen, please follow the steps mentioned below:

Note: SmartScreen automatically scans applications, files, downloads, and websites, blocking known dangerous content. We recommend leaving SmartScreen enabled, as it provides an additional layer of security that helps to protect the PC.

1. Press and hold Windows + I key on the keyboard.
    2. Click on Update & Security.
    3. Click on Windows Security.
    4. Click on Windows Defender Security Center.
    5. Click on App & browser control.
    6. Select off under Check apps and files, SmartScreen for Microsoft Edge
      and SmartScreen for Microsoft Store apps.

Hope it helps.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 26, 2019
  6. HTC
    HTC Win User
    Microsoft is purging a lot of low quality apps from the Windows Store

Will they remove windows 10 too?

Thema:

1. Turn On or Off SmartScreen for Windows Store Apps in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Turn Off SmartScreen

2. Windows Smartscreen Defender turning itself off!?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Smartscreen Defender turning itself off!?: I don't know if i have a extreme weak memory but im pretty sure the option in app & browser control about windows smartscreen defender checking apps and files not recognized by the web was on some moments ago and from nowhere it turned itself off, so i have to go and enable...
  3. Windows Defender SmartScreen isn't turning on

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender SmartScreen isn't turning on: After I uninstalled my previous antivirus software, Defender SmartScreen isn't turning on. It didn't happen before I installed the antivirus. Though I've already deleted all the files & registries caused by the previous antivirus, it isn't turning on. It says, "This setting...
  4. Enable or Disable SmartScreen Filter for Microsoft Store apps in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Enable or Disable SmartScreen Filter for Microsoft Store apps in Windows 10: [ATTACH]You can enable or disable the SmartScreen Filter for Microsoft Store apps in Windows 10 using Windows Security or Registry Editor. SmartScreen is, it is […] This article Enable or Disable SmartScreen Filter for Microsoft Store apps in Windows 10 first appeared on...
  5. Turning Smartscreen back on (smartscreen can't be reached...)

in Windows 10 Support
    Turning Smartscreen back on (smartscreen can't be reached...): I believe I inadvertently switched off Smartscreen during setup so now, each time I try to install something, Windows says Smartscreen can't be reached right now. It's NOT my internet connection. Can someone help? 116595
  6. Turn off SmartScreen Filter in Windows 10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Turn off SmartScreen Filter in Windows 10: Hi, According to this page: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...=vs.85%29.aspx Navigate to section :: "To turn off Turn on SmartScreen Filter to check web content (URLs) that Windows Store apps use:" I have created a .bat file with the following contents:...
  7. Turn On or Off Video Autoplay in Microsoft Store App in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Video Autoplay in Microsoft Store App in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Video Autoplay in Microsoft Store App in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Video Autoplay in Microsoft Store App in Windows 10 [img] Information The Microsoft Store app in Windows 10 offers various apps, games, music, movies & TV, and books that...
  8. Turn On or Off Automatic Updates for Apps in Windows 10 Store

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Automatic Updates for Apps in Windows 10 Store: How to: Turn On or Off Automatic Updates for Apps in Windows 10 Store Turn On or Off Automatic Download and Install of App Updates by Store in Windows 10 The Microsoft Store app in Windows 10 offers various apps, games, music, movies & TV, and books that users can...
  9. Turn On or Off SmartScreen for Microsoft Edge in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off SmartScreen for Microsoft Edge in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off SmartScreen for Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Windows Defender SmartScreen for Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 Microsoft Edge is a new web browser that is available across the Windows 10 device family. It is designed for Windows...
  10. Turn On or Off Apps for Websites in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Apps for Websites in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Apps for Websites in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Apps for Websites in Windows 10 [img] Information Apps for websites is a feature that uses web-to-app linking to associate an app with a website. Apps for websites was first introduced in...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. EnableWebContentEvaluation PreventOverride

2. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppHost\ PreventOverride