Windows 10: Turn On or Off Snap Pointer To Default Button in Windows 10

Discus and support Turn On or Off Snap Pointer To Default Button in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Turn On or Off Snap Pointer To Default Button in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Snap Pointer To Default Button in Windows 10 The Snap... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Funjunkie6, May 7, 2017.

1. Turn On or Off Snap Pointer To Default Button in Windows 10

How to: Turn On or Off Snap Pointer To Default Button in Windows 10

How to Turn On or Off Snap Pointer To Default Button in Windows 10

The Snap To pointer option in Windows will automatically move the pointer to the default button in a dialog box when one opens to make it easier to select.

This tutorial will show you how to turn on or off the pointer Snap To default button option for your account in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Turn On or Off Pointer Snap To Default Button in Mouse Properties
    • Option Two: To Turn On or Off Pointer Snap To Default Button using a REG file

OPTION ONE [/i] To Turn On or Off Pointer Snap To Default Button in Mouse Properties
    1. Open the Control Panel (icons view), and click/tap on the Mouse icon.

2. Click/tap on the Pointer Options tab, check or uncheck (default) the Automatucally move pointer to the default button in a dialog box box under Snap To for what you want, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

Turn On or Off Snap Pointer To Default Button in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION TWO [/i] To Turn On or Off Pointer Snap To Default Button using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will modify the string value in the registry key below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Mouse

SnapToDefaultButton String Value

0 = Off
    1 = On

1. Do step 2 (on) or step 3 (off) below for what you want to set.

2. To Turn On Pointer Snap To Default Button
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_On_Pointer_Snap_To_default_button.reg

Download

3. To Turn Off Pointer Snap To Default Button
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_Off_Pointer_Snap_To_default_button.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. restart the computer to apply.

8. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Funjunkie6, May 7, 2017
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Mouse Settings Reset Button

Hi Rykel, It seems Microsoft does not provide a button for resetting all your mouse Settings

The best I can provide is a list of the Default mouse settings in Windows 10:

Primary Button: Left

Mouse Wheel Scrolls: Multiple lines at a time (as opposed to a screen at a time)

How many lines to scroll: 3

Inactive window scroll: On

Buttons

Configuration: Right-handed

Double Click Speed: 5th notch from the right

Click Lock: Off

Pointers

Scheme: None

Enable pointer shadow: Off

Pointer Options

Pointer Speed: Center of Slider

Enhance pointer precision: On

Snap To: Off

Display pointer trails: Off

Hide pointer while typing: On

Show pointer location on CTRL: Off

DaveM121, May 7, 2017
  3. pzac Win User
    Windows explorer not remembering window position

Thank you, this worked for me.

I don't know why the Snap options were even on but turning them off fixes the issue with windows defaulting to their default size.

pzac, May 7, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Turn On or Off Snap Pointer To Default Button in Windows 10

Hello @Funjunkie6, *Smile

What model number is the mouse?

If you installed any software for the mouse, then check to see if it may have its own settings overriding this one.

Brink, May 7, 2017
  5. Hi Brink,
    i did not install any mouse software.
    model no: 1000
    P/N: X821902-001

Funjunkie6, May 22, 2017
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, May 22, 2017
  7. Thanks Brink, but the 'snap-to' feature still does not work.
    i also chk'd the registry entry and it's set to 'snap-to'

Funjunkie6, May 22, 2017
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

I suppose it's possible if your mouse sensitivity is set high, the slightest movement may prevent the "snap to" affect.

Brink, May 22, 2017
  9. Hello All,
    fixed my issue.

Funjunkie6, May 25, 2017
  10. NicoleJohnson, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Turn On or Off Snap Pointer To Default Button in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Turn Off Snap

2. How to turn off SNAP

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to turn off SNAP: I was trying to use Snap or Snip and Sketch. Now when I open a screen the right side is off the edge of my small monitor and I can't read the border, or close, or access the new right side tab. Please tell me how to undo this application that I think allows me to use multiple...
  3. How to turn off SNAP

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to turn off SNAP: I was trying to use Snap or Snip and Sketch. Now when I open a screen the right side is off the edge of my small monitor and I can't read the border, or close, or access the new right side tab. Please tell me how to undo this application that I think allows me to use multiple...
  4. snap windows cannot turn off

snap windows cannot turn off: each time i take a doc t the top of my windows desktop , i get a blue column and the docs horizontal with is reduced in size. I have turned of multitasking > snap windows but to no avail.Any sugestions on how to get rid of this annoyance?...
  5. Windows 11 Snap To Default Button Not Working.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Snap To Default Button Not Working.: Hi,The snap to the default button for the mouse on Windows 11 is sort of working... It works fine on other apps but within actual Windows 11, it does not work at all. It is switched on. Any news when this will be fixed? How to Turn On or Off Snap Pointer To Default Button in...
  6. Windows 11 Snap To Default Button Not Working.

Windows 11 Snap To Default Button Not Working.: Hi,The snap to the default button for the mouse on Windows 11 is sort of working... It works fine on other apps but within actual Windows 11, it does not work at all. It is switched on. Any news when this will be fixed? How to Turn On or Off Snap Pointer To Default Button in...
  7. Snap Pointer to default button in dialog box not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Snap Pointer to default button in dialog box not working: In recent months, maybe since the last update my cursor does not automatically go to the default button in a dialog box. It may not have anything to do with an update. I have checked and unchecked the box in settings for this but still not working. Is it just me? Any help...
  8. Snap Pointer to default button in dialog box not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Snap Pointer to default button in dialog box not working: Hi Gang: I Believe since the last update my cursor does not automatically go to the default button in a dialog box. It may not have anything to do with an update. I have checked and unchecked the box in settings for this but still not working. Is it just me? Any help...
  9. Turn On or Off Aero Snap in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Aero Snap in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Snap Windows in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Snap Windows in Windows 10 Your screen can get cluttered if you have a lot of opened app windows. The Snap windows (aka: Aero Snap) feature includes Snap Assist and 2x2 snapping to help you organize...
  10. Windows 10 Turn off Snap Assit

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Turn off Snap Assit: How can I turn off Snap Assist widget that is at top of screen when moving windows. I have watched videos, I have read posts, in "Multitasking" I have everything turned off and it won't go away. I have 3 monitors if that makes a difference. 107072