Windows 10: Turn On or Off Sync Office 2016 Files with OneDrive in Windows 10

Discus and support Turn On or Off Sync Office 2016 Files with OneDrive in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Turn On or Off Sync Office 2016 Files with OneDrive in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Sync Office 2016 Files with OneDrive in Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Kupuna, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Kupuna Win User

Turn On or Off Sync Office 2016 Files with OneDrive in Windows 10

How to: Turn On or Off Sync Office 2016 Files with OneDrive in Windows 10

How to Turn On or Off Sync Office 2016 Files with OneDrive in Windows 10

OneDrive is a cloud-based storage service where you can view, browse, upload, and share the files you saved online to OneDrive.

With Office 2016 and OneDrive, you can co-edit and share files right in your Office apps like Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Visio. The OneDrive sync client and Office work together to sync documents in OneDrive and let you work with other people on shared documents at the same time.

*note To collaborate on documents in real time in the Office desktop apps, you need a Windows computer running the latest version of Office 2016 and an Office 365 subscription. For info about real-time co-authoring, see Collaborate on Word documents with real-time co-authoring, Collaborate on Excel workbooks at the same time with co-authoring, or Work together on PowerPoint presentations. For info about syncing OneNote notebooks, see View the notebook synchronization status.

Most of the time, Office 2016 automatically syncs changes to Office files saved in OneDrive. On rare occasions, if an Office app closes unexpectedly, or if changes made from different devices can't be resolved, a sync conflict can occur. If you run into problems with changes not syncing or merging properly, you might want to change your sync settings in OneDrive.

This tutorial will show you how to turn on or off use Office 2016 to sync Office files that you open with OneDrive for your account in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Turn On Sync Office 2016 Files with OneDrive
    • Option Two: Turn Off Sync Office 2016 Files with OneDrive

OPTION ONE [/i] Turn On Sync Office 2016 Files with OneDrive
    1. Right click or press and hold on the OneDrive icon on the taskbar notification area, click/tap on the menu (3 dots) button, and click/tap on Settings. (see screenshot below)

Turn On or Off Sync Office 2016 Files with OneDrive in Windows 10 [​IMG]

2. Click/tap on the Office tab. (see screenshot below)

*note If you do not have an Office tab, and you're using Office with a work or school account, the setting might be controlled by your IT admin.

*note If you do not have an Office tab, then it means you may not have Office 2016 installed.

3. Check the Use Office 2016 to sync Office files that I open box.

4. Select (dot) how you want it to handle Sync conflicts, and click/tap on OK.
    • Let me choose to merge changes or keep both copies If you choose this option, when you have a Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Visio file with conflicting changes, OneDrive will ask you if you want to open the file in Office to merge the changes, or keep both copies.
    • Always keep both copies (rename the copy on this computer) If you choose this option, OneDrive keeps both copies of the file and renames the copy on your computer to add the computer name to the file name.

OPTION TWO [/i] Turn Off Sync Office 2016 Files with OneDrive
    1. Right click or press and hold on the OneDrive icon on the taskbar notification area, click/tap on the menu (3 dots) button, and click/tap on Settings. (see screenshot below)

2. Click/tap on the Office tab. (see screenshot below)

*note If you do not have an Office tab, and you're using Office with a work or school account, the setting might be controlled by your IT admin.

*note If you do not have an Office tab, then it means you may not have Office 2016 installed.

3. Uncheck the Use Office 2016 to sync Office files that I open box, and click/tap on OK.

*note If you turn off this setting, Office will no longer be able to automatically merge changes from different versions of documents. You'll also be prompted to upload a new copy of a file before you can share it directly from an Office desktop app.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Kupuna, Apr 27, 2016
  2. P4-630 Win User

OneDrive Placeholders are coming back, now called On-Demand Sync

"At Ignite 2016, Microsoft has just announced that it is bringing Placeholders back to OneDrive on Windows 10. Now, they are not called Placeholders anymore — Microsoft is renaming the feature to “On-Demand Sync” which makes a lot more sense than “Placeholders”.

The company demoed this feature at Microsoft Ignite today, and it works just like it used to previously. As you can see in the screenshot above, the files stored in OneDrive weighed in around 9GB, but the actual size on disk was only around 3MB which is really neat. Of course, this feature isn’t anything new as it was available back in the Windows 8 days. However, Microsoft removed the feature with Windows 10, and after lots of waiting, they are finally coming back.

In case you are not familiar with OneDrive Placeholders, it’s a pretty neat feature which lets you see all of your OneDrive files on your computer — but they are not actually downloaded on your PC. When you open them, OneDrive will download the files on-demand, saving your local space which is really useful, especially if you have a PC that doesn’t have a lot of storage.

While Microsoft didn’t announce when exactly On-Demand Sync will be available to OneDrive users, we suspect it will be available with Windows 10 Redstone 2 — which is expected to arrive early next year.
    "

OneDrive Placeholders are coming back, now called On-Demand Sync - MSPoweruser

P4-630, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Freezer Win User
    Windows 10 - OneDrive

This is Windows 10 Pro... Enterprise is an entirely different deal and I'm sure I won't have problems that route, but I'm not forking over more $ to dipshit developers. The only thing I can think of is un-linking my Office 365 accounts within Office, but that defeats the purpose of accessing the files ONLINE and managing them from there. I have two alumni accounts, not a single problem in Windows 7/8 until M$shit devs decided to integrate Onedrive. I've deleted, renamed, set read-only to "msosync.exe," ... but windows continues to add it again and again, and NOW I just noticed it's now linking to groove.exe, instead of onedrive. Sooo fn annoying!

Onedrive on Windows 10 is not an 'app' it is integrated. Plus I don't fool around with the Windows Store thoughtless developer child bullshit. Windows Store ought to be completely removed from the Windows platform all together. Also I do not intend to completely remove Onedrive, it defeats the purpose... the purpose is to REMOVE it from Windows Explorer navigation and startup.

Freezer, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Easo Win User

Windows 10 - OneDrive

Can we have rant-less version, please?

5. Freezer Win User
    Windows 10 - OneDrive

[/quote] Click to expand... Sorry, but I think you're confused and keep referring to Onedrive. There is a big difference between the consumer version of Onedrive business O365 version. I do not have the consumer version of Onedrive installed... it is Onedrive for Business. Also, this script is for "Onedrive" .... not Onedrive for Business. Thanks anyway.

OneDrive (for Business) built-in Windows 10 differences?

No thanks for providing a non-rant version. I ought to recruit about 20 million people and walk down to Microsoft headquarters and do them in. Tired of Microsoft forcing their childish development skills on the masses.

Freezer, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Windows 10 - OneDrive

Right click on the app and one of the properties has an option to not automatically start it. Uncheck, restart the computer, and it should stop. If you want to go another step further, find the OneDrive app in the start menu, right click on it and uninstall.

If that is still insufficient, there is a batch uninstaller for OneDrive available online. I can copy the code here if you need it.

FordGT90Concept, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Turn On or Off Sync Office 2016 Files with OneDrive in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Turn Off Sync

2. Turn off sync in Office for Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Turn off sync in Office for Windows 10?: Hello, is it possible to turn off sync in Office for Windows 10? I work for a business and have 10 versions of Office under one account. Issue is if someone changes a setting on one computer it will change it for everyone else. I've turned off sync under Windows, but yet...
  3. Turn off Sync in Windows 10 mail

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Turn off Sync in Windows 10 mail: I got Windows 10 mail a few days ago. I need for it to not sync. I toggle the Sync slider to turn off Sync, and it turns itself back on. I need to know how to get the Sync slider to say at OFF when I set it to OFF. It turns itself back on....
  4. Windows keeps syncing with syncing turned OFF

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows keeps syncing with syncing turned OFF: Windows 10 syncing is turned off, the cache in Onedrive is deleted, but Windows keeps syncing the wallpaper between my two computers and I do not want that. How can I force Windows to stop syncing while it is already turned off???...
  5. Office 2016 Turning off "Read Aloud"

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Office 2016 Turning off "Read Aloud": Winver 18363.535 I never have to use "Read Aloud" and tried to remove it from the Ribbon. Unchecked that option, yet it still remains. Any tips? 148197
  6. Offline files sync at turn off/session closing (windows 10)

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Offline files sync at turn off/session closing (windows 10): Hi all, I have tried several ideas to sync offline files when turning off windows 10, but none of them has worked. I tried: - the offline files interface: it does not have an option for syncing when turning off - via GPO: it is not available for windows 10 - via task...
  7. Office 2016 - File Corrupt

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Office 2016 - File Corrupt: Hi, My installation of office isn't working right from the start! if i want to open a file not made by this copy of office, it says the file is corrupt. I can open the same excel file by opening excel, in the recent page, there's open other workbooks link, i can select the...
  8. Turn On or Off OneDrive Fetch Files in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off OneDrive Fetch Files in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off OneDrive Fetch Files in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off OneDrive Fetch Files on your PC in Windows 10 [img] Information OneDrive is a cloud-based storage service where you can view, browse, upload, and share the files you saved online to...
  9. Turn On or Off OneDrive Files On-Demand in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off OneDrive Files On-Demand in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off OneDrive Files On-Demand in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off OneDrive Files On-Demand in Windows 10 At Build 2017, Joe Belfiore announced that the new OneDrive Files On-Demand feature will be delivered with the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update....
  10. Turn On or Off OneDrive Notifications for Shared Files in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off OneDrive Notifications for Shared Files in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off OneDrive Notifications for Shared Files in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Notifications for OneDrive Shared Files in Windows 10 You can use OneDrive to share photos, Microsoft Office documents, other files, and entire folders with people....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. turn off use office applications to sync office files