Windows 10: Turn On or Off System Protection for Drives in Windows 10

Discus and support Turn On or Off System Protection for Drives in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Turn On or Off System Protection for Drives in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off System Protection for Drives in Windows 10 System... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by simrick, Sep 19, 2015.

1. simrick Win User

Turn On or Off System Protection for Drives in Windows 10

How to: Turn On or Off System Protection for Drives in Windows 10

How to Turn On or Off System Protection for Drives in Windows 10

System protection is a feature that allows you to undo unwanted system changes by being able to do a System Restore. System Restore enables users, in the event of a problem, to restore their computers to a previous state (restore point) without losing personal data files.

Each Restoring wont affect your personal files in your %UserProfile% folder, but it will remove apps, drivers, and updates installed after the restore point was created.

This can be handy if your PC isn't working well after you recently installed an app, driver, or update.
    • If you have Windows booted in Safe Mode, then you will not be able to turn on or off System Protection for drives.
    • System protection is turned off by default.
    • System protection can only be turned on for drives that are formatted using the NTFS file system.
    • You can adjust the maximum disk space per drive used for system protection. As space fills up, older restore points will automatically be deleted to make room for new ones.
    • When you turn off system protection for a drive, all existing restore points on the drive will be deleted, and new restore points will not be created. You will not be able to use System Restore to undo unwanted system changes on the drive.
    • Personal files in each user account's "C:\Users\(user-name)" folder will not be affected by a system restore.
    This tutorial will show you how to turn on or off system protection for drives of your choice to be able to create restore points and do a system restore in Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to turn on or off system protection for a drive.

Turn On or Off System Protection for Drives in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Warning It is highly recommended to leave system protection turned on for your Windows drive (ex: C: ) to be able to quickly restore Windows 10 back to a previous restore point as needed.

Restore points are not meant to take the place of backups and system images. Instead it is only an extra method of recovery to have handy as needed. Be sure to always keep updated backups and system images to be safe.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Turn On or Off System Protection for Drives in System Properties
    • Option Two: Turn On System Protection for Drives in PowerShell
    • Option Three: Turn Off System Protection for Drives in PowerShell

OPTION ONE [/i] Turn On or Off System Protection for Drives in System Properties
    1. Do step 2, step 3, or step 4 below for how you would like to open System.

2. Open the step 5 below.

3. Open the step 5 below.

4. Open the step 6 below. (see screenshot below)

5. Click/tap on the System protection link on the left side. (see screenshot below)

6. If prompted by UAC, click/tap on Yes.

7. Under Protection Settings, select a drive (ex: C: ) that you want to turn on or off system protection for, and click/tap on the Configure button. (see screenshot below)

8. Do step 9 or step 10 below for what you would like to do.

9. To Turn Off System Protection for Drive
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Under Restore Settings, select (dot) Disable system protection, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

B) Click/tap on Yes to confirm. (see screenshot below)

10. To Turn On System Protection for Drive
    A) Under Restore Settings, select (dot) Turn on system protection. (see screenshot below)

B) Under Disk Space Usage, adjust the Max usage slider to the maximum disk space you want used for system protection, and click/tap on OK.

*note The more Max usage you set, the more restore points you will be able to have available for the drive. Of course, this will use more free space on the drive, so be sure to set an amount that balances your needs.

OPTION TWO [/i] Turn On System Protection for Drives in PowerShell
    *note For more usage details of the Enable-ComputerRestore command, see: Enable-ComputerRestore | Microsoft Docs
    1. Open an elevated PowerShell.

2. Type the command below into the elevated PowerShell, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Enable-ComputerRestore -Drive "<drive letter>:\"

*note Substitute <drive letter> in the command above with the actual drive letter (ex: "C") you want to turn on system protection for.

For example: Enable-ComputerRestore -Drive "C:\"

*tip If you would like to turn on system protection for multiple drives at once, then you can add a comma, space, and another drive letter followed by a colon and a backslash and enclosed in quotation marks like below for both the "C" and "E" drives.

For example: Enable-ComputerRestore -Drive "C:\", "E:\"

3. You can now close the elevated PowerShell if you like.

OPTION THREE [/i] Turn Off System Protection for Drives in PowerShell
    *note For more usage details of the Disable-ComputerRestore command, see: Disable-ComputerRestore | Microsoft Docs
    1. Open an elevated PowerShell.

2. Type the command below into the elevated PowerShell, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Disable-ComputerRestore -Drive "<drive letter>:\"

*note Substitute <drive letter> in the command above with the actual drive letter (ex: "C") you want to turn off system protection for.

For example: Disable-ComputerRestore -Drive "C:\"

*tip If you would like to turn off system protection for multiple drives at once, then you can add a comma, space, and another drive letter followed by a colon and a backslash and enclosed in quotation marks like below for both the "C" and "E" drives.

For example: Disable-ComputerRestore -Drive "C:\", "E:\"

3. You can now close the elevated PowerShell if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

simrick, Sep 19, 2015

2. Strange "C Missing" in Restore window

Results of testing Acronis clone and Image restore.

Boot SSD 1 – verified that there is no C Missing.

Created a second restore point for this drive.

Wipe SSD 2.

Clone SSD 1 to SSD 2 using Acronis 2016 booted from Rescue USB.

Boot from SSD 2.

C Missing exists on SSD 2

System Protection turned OFF for C System.

System Protection ON for C Missing.

Wipe SSD 2.

Image SSD1 to External backup drive using Acronis 2016 booted from Rescue USB.

Restore image from external drive to SSD2 with Acronis 2016 booted from Rescue USB.

Boot SSD2.

System Protection turned OFF for C System.

System Protection turned ON for C Missing.

My Results of testing;

Macrium clone creates C Missing folder on cloned drive.

Macrium Image restore does NOT create C Missing on imaged drive

Acronis clone creates C Missing folder on cloned drive.

Acronis image restore creates C Missing on imaged drive.

Turning Protection OFF on C Missing removes it from System Protection window.

Must turn protection on for C System.

These are my results - Others may have different results.

snifferpro, Sep 19, 2015
  3. Windows 10 Critical Process Died

To set system protection turned on for your Windows drive (ex: C: ) to be able to quickly restore Windows 10 back to a previous restore point as needed, you may follow the steps below:

1. Open the Win+X Quick Link menu, click/tap on System.

2. Click/tap on the System protection link on the left side.

3. Under Protection Settings, select a drive (ex: C: ) that you want to turn on or off system protection for, and click/tap on the
    Configure button.

4. Under Restore Settings, select (dot) Turn on system protection. then, click
    OK.

Let us know how it goes.

Jenicel Dri, Sep 19, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hey mate,

Recovery, could be for a factory recovery partition.

The error message for C: indicates that you have a system image saved on that drive. Do you see a "WindowsImageBackup" folder on the root of C? Possibly from another OS.

Brink, Sep 19, 2015
  5. simrick Win User
    Nope, nothing. Using Macrium on an external HDD. I've never seen this before.

simrick, Sep 19, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Odd. I'm not sure why it thinks you have a system image on C. Especially when you are not able to create a system image on the OS drive by default.

Brink, Sep 19, 2015
  7. Tony K Win User
    System Restore is turned off in 10 by default, which is something new and I read of a lot of complaints. I'm wondering as to why myself. It may be a feature no one was using. It may be they're porting it over to the Settings app. Who knows.

My question is since I'm dual booting with 2 partitions which are considered separate drives > Could it be one of the reasons they have it off by default so as it doesn't include System Restore of another partition or another drive? I have my System Restores managed by their own OS. Or would it configure not include the other drive(s) if it was on by default upon install of 10 or any other OS for that matter?

Tony K, Nov 21, 2015
  8. kensiko Win User

Hey I just found that system restore is not really turned off even if I set it to disabled ? What's the deal ?? I found that I had 30 GB of file in system volume information. Is that a bug because I upgraded ?

kensiko, Dec 6, 2015
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Dec 6, 2015
  10. kensiko Win User
    OK I'll enable than disable it, we'll see.

kensiko, Dec 6, 2015
  11. kensiko Win User
    No change. Well, I'll need to clean-up that once every while. I use my own disk image backup to make backups.

kensiko, Dec 6, 2015
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Dec 6, 2015
  13. perkas Win User

I have an SSD disk with windows 10. and i would like to store the system protection data in another HDD drive.
    I have tryied the following, without success:

vssadmin Resize ShadowStorage /For=C: /On=D: /Maxsize=1024MB

Do you know wod to do this??

Thanks! *Biggrin

perkas, Dec 6, 2015
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello perkas, and welcome to Ten Forums.

It should be the command below instead, but it doesn't appear to be supported in Windows 10. *Sad

Vssadmin add shadowstorage

vssadmin add ShadowStorage /For=C: /On=D: /Maxsize=1024MB

Brink, Dec 6, 2015
  15. kensiko Win User
    Thanks! It worked!

kensiko, Dec 7, 2015
Thema:

1. Turn On or Off System Protection for Drives in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Turn Off System

2. cannot shrink drive. I turned off paging, hybernation, system restorepoint protection

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cannot shrink drive. I turned off paging, hybernation, system restorepoint protection: I cannot shrink after removing page file, system restore point hybernation.. so what is next..? Should I download an unknown product 3rd party product to do this for me that knows windows more than windows knows windows??...
  3. cannot shrink drive. I turned off paging, hybernation, system restorepoint protection

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cannot shrink drive. I turned off paging, hybernation, system restorepoint protection: I cannot shrink after removing page file, system restore point hybernation.. so what is next..? Should I download an unknown product 3rd party product to do this for me that knows windows more than windows knows windows??...
  4. Virus protection is turn off

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Virus protection is turn off: can any one tell me why is my virus protection turn off and I don't have another virus protection installed? [Original Title: virus protion] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/virus-protection-is-turn-off/14128dfb-7692-4a02-8e40-31ec772b27db
  5. System Protection is Off

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Protection is Off: Hello,After the system's upgrade, "System Protection" is (still) Off, so there is no restore point.Since I have "Macrium Reflect" and make in 3 days cycle one full backup then a differential, and so on.If there is a need (sometimes), I restore with Macrium.Is it important to...
  6. System Protection is Off

in Windows 10 Support
    System Protection is Off: Hello,After the system's upgrade, "System Protection" is (still) Off, so there is no restore point.Since I have "Macrium Reflect" and make in 3 days cycle one full backup then a differential, and so on.If there is a need (sometimes), I restore with Macrium.Is it important to...
  7. Temporarily turn off protection.

Temporarily turn off protection.: Hello. I've been trying to run an executable but receive a message stating that Windows has prevented the .exe because it's unknown. Is there a way to temporarily allow this .exe to run? The message comes within a blue square.[ATTACH]...
  8. turn off antivirus protection

turn off antivirus protection: How do I turn off virus and threat protection https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/turn-off-antivirus-protection/02f78b71-a7fe-4857-8575-978200f555c6
  9. System Protection Turned Off

in Windows 10 Support
    System Protection Turned Off: After the upgrade from 8.1 pro to 10, i noticed system protection was turned off. I went ahead and turned it back on and moved the slider back to ten percent. Any reason why the upgrade turned it off? Any reason not to turn it on? Thanks, Mike 9926
  10. Turn On or Off Write Protection for Removable Drives in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Write Protection for Removable Drives in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Write Protection for Removable Drives in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Write Protection for Removable Drives in Windows 10 [img] Warning This tutorial is no longer valid since this setting has been removed from Settings in Window 10. You...